You are Here:
A Fun 3 Coin Routine

Author (Read 838 times)

A Fun 3 Coin Routine
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

wildwildcat

• True Member
Hello everyone,

I've spent the last few weeks polishing this Hanging Coins-esque effect, and like where it is at.

If anyone could drop a few words about subtleties or things I could improve upon, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gr4hWYrofs

Re: A Fun 3 Coin Routine
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello everyone,

I've spent the last few weeks polishing this Hanging Coins-esque effect, and like where it is at.

If anyone could drop a few words about subtleties or things I could improve upon, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gr4hWYrofs

I gave it a good look.  I have a few pointers.

You won't fool a coin man, but your handiwork is good enough for most lay audiences, no problem.  I saw nothing too obvious, but you need better "attention control."

You still need to R-E-L-A-X!  You do improve when you're doing the coin work itself, but your speech patterns are terrible in the first half of the video - speaking too swiftly, adding tongue clicks to what's being said, etc.  A higher sound level on the recording would help as well.  Make your delivery smoother, and it will become more captivating to the spectators.  You want them captivated, because that allows you to control their attention - they look where you want them to look, plain and simple, and not at what you're trying to hide from them.

The patter delivery, as I stated, improves towards the end.  But the patter itself might need a bit of work.  Explaining the term "CGI," expecting the typical lay person to know what a "pixel" is, etc. - too much.  (BTW, "pixel" only applies to 2-dimensional images.  In the 3-D world, the smallest image element is a "voxel" - a portmanteau of "pixel" and "volume.")

Reconsider your patter by applying a simple concept - pretend you're performing your trick in 1970, when computers were strange, alien devices few people had ever seen in person and terms like "CGI" and "pixel" didn't yet exist.  NOW how would you present the trick?  If you apply this and rewrite your patter's "story," I think you'll find people understand it better and follow you where you wish to lead them more effectively.  You'll have more of their attention, meaning it will be easier to control what they look at and when.  That lack of control was the reason I started spotting some of your moves - I lost interest in the patter, thus my eyes wandered.

A final tip: get rid of the mirror in the background when recording or record in a different, mirror-free location.  I couldn't see one of your vanishes very well because the mirror was acting as a light source behind the subject and your hand was directly in front of it.  It's like staring into a light bulb.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »

wildwildcat

• True Member
Thanks Don, some excellent points in there that should keep me busy for a while!

Your thoughts on audience direction, attention, and presentation are super valuable!

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:00:34 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I have to say this is better then previous video with 1 coin trick.
From my point of view as a viewer, I would only point out your unnatural hand movements. I do found it a little exaggerated, to me it looks suspicious especially in the beginning.
I am not experience at all in coin routine, so I don't know if it make sense😄 Maybe it is a normal things to do in coin routine.

The only question for you, is that how you normally act and talk to people? The reason I ask is that I read a few books talking about being yourself and don't try to be someone who is not yourself. That way you will attract less attention to what you are hiding.

I agree with Don about your performance is better towards the end, it feels more natural as you go, I think you only need to fine tune some of the movements and misdirection so people don't get suspicious.  :)
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 05:23:57 PM »

wildwildcat

• True Member
Thanks, I'll keep at it; @DonBoyer, I'm switching to a more thematic approach where the coins vanish each time I drop them into my watch, and then appear as we go "back in time".