What's your favorite card trick?

Author (Read 3848 times)

What's your favorite card trick?
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:53:18 AM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
What's your favorite card trick? I have a few that would be a hard choice for me. I only know one's from youtube. I really like The Card Trick Master. It's cool because you think they have know idea what there doing and then you see at the end they do. I would have to pick that one if  I had to pick one. And That's only the best one that I know how to do and know the name to.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:44:56 AM by austinrules9 »

Re: What's your favorite card trick?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Ambitious card. It was very great opening. Fast effect.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Derren Brown has some amazing stuff in The Devil's Picturebook.  There's one where he uses an effect called the 'Velvet Turnover'.  I can't remember the name of the full routine but it's spectacular.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:19:11 PM »

JMMJ

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
First: My favorite card trick are any where the spectator does the trick and you can just sit back and watch them amaze themselves. (see cut ten for example)

On a different note, Kanped, where did you get the devil's picture book, I can't find it. 

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
First: My favorite card trick are any where the spectator does the trick and you can just sit back and watch them amaze themselves. (see cut ten for example)

On a different note, Kanped, where did you get the devil's picture book, I can't find it. 

Well, I uhh... I acquired it legally, you can be sure of that!

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Swimmers from Scarne on Card Tricks is amazingly simple and gets incredible reactions.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
So many,where do I start, card tricks, I'd have to say Aaron Fishers..Hellterskellter and Lee Ashers..Ashers twist. Now card effects,thats a totally different thing.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
ultimate maxi twist by allan ackerman - watch him perform it on youtube himself it's amazing and so smooth

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:39:26 PM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
my handling of "easy ace estimation"

here's a performance of Jordan Lapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAzK8Mw5_9w

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular
  • "Heres to those actually in the arena..."

• Facebook:
This is an awesome thread!

My favorite trick i know so far would be the Bittle trick, its fun and confuses people often!

But i am new to magic and always take suggestions! Does anyone know some that i should look into?
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
This is an awesome thread!

My favorite trick i know so far would be the Bittle trick, its fun and confuses people often!

But i am new to magic and always take suggestions! Does anyone know some that i should look into?

Get the book "Scarne on Card Tricks" and look up the trick "Swimmers".
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Get the book "Scarne on Card Tricks" and look up the trick "Swimmers".

Why thank you! I will look into this, how does the rest of the book play out? Are the other tricks worth as much?
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree it will go its whole life thinking it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Why thank you! I will look into this, how does the rest of the book play out? Are the other tricks worth as much?

There are a few tricks I like to use from this book. Most of them aren't "amazing" but they get the job done. Most of the tricks don't involve a ton of stacking, and if you have a borrowed deck for a couple seconds, you can set up some of the tricks. I personally like the book, and haven't read all of it (I look through the table of contents and see what sounds cool), but I'm pretty happy with my purchase. The thing that's so great about "Swimmers", is if you don't tell everyone what's going to happen at the end, although it is a very simple trick, they will be stunned.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
There are a few tricks I like to use from this book. Most of them aren't "amazing" but they get the job done. Most of the tricks don't involve a ton of stacking, and if you have a borrowed deck for a couple seconds, you can set up some of the tricks. I personally like the book, and haven't read all of it (I look through the table of contents and see what sounds cool), but I'm pretty happy with my purchase. The thing that's so great about "Swimmers", is if you don't tell everyone what's going to happen at the end, although it is a very simple trick, they will be stunned.

Is there a video of this trick up online? Haha i just love to investigate before buying haha

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Is there a video of this trick up online? Haha i just love to investigate before buying haha

Not that I can find, but I will try to make a video of the trick later.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »

zmuddiman

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Not that I can find, but I will try to make a video of the trick later.

Thanks let me know and i will check it out!

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
For card effects (i don´t like the term trick) i would say :
Back in Time Triumph by Jay Sankey

Let me explain why :
It´s simple in its premise,easy to understand and really impossible for the spectator in terms of what happend.
And last but not least the kicker at the end - is in the spectators hand.

It is always hard to open up a magic presentation with a card effect,
you fight agains various pre-opinions.Some people hate card effects....counting tricks etc.
That´s why you have to set a premise before you take out your cards.

And the plot in "Back in Time" is a interessting theme.
If you think about it,everyone had the wish to go back in time and change things up.
I will give you my patter :

"Hey who of you guys believe in time travelling?"
Something like in the movie Back to the future,would´t it be interessting to go back in time and have a cup of tea with
Albert Einstein or see the dinosaurs live in action?Or changing the stock price at the Wall Street! :) Don´t you agree?
Well,i´m not able to go that far back in time,i´m working on that part but for now i´m only able to go back in time for 1 minute.
Let´s do a time travelling experiment - who´s gonna particpate? You? Great.
Look i´ve got here a deck of cards.
I want you to pick any of those,it doesnt matter which one.
Look at the card,show it to your friends and if you don´t have friends...well then just remember it.
Place it back in the deck and don´t forget the card! If you do...then your and my time is wasted. :P
Now look,i´m gonna mix up the cards in very different way then most people do.
The cards are going face up and face down....a way like a little child would shuffle cards up.
As you can see the cards are in chaos like state.Knowing your card or even finding your card would be impossible.
"Looking at the top card" Your card wasn´t the 6 of clubs or?
Great,else this experiement was over and not impressive at all.
Well,take this 6 and wave it over the deck like a magic wand.
STOP!
Do you know what you did right now?
You have send all the cards 1 minute back in time!
Yeah really!
Look all the cards are now straightend out like in the beginning of this experiment!
And we are back in time right at the moment where you have picked your card! Turn the card in your hand over!

As you can see,this script/patter is simple but creates in the mind of the spectator interesst on what you are going to do.
Also everyone can rely on the thought going back in time.
So think about your effects which you perform and how you can connect to your audience by shifting the patter to be interessting.
Sucking them into your magical presentation like a Vortex (shamless plug i know).

After the effect is over you can let them sign the card and go into a ACR make it come back to the top (like going back in time).
For me my effects should be like : If i could do really magic - would i perform a cutting to the aces effect? NO!
Here is a link to a Video which shows only the reactions of my magic

Enjoy!

Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
For card effects (i don´t like the term trick) i would say :
Back in Time Triumph by Jay Sankey

Let me explain why :
It´s simple in its premise,easy to understand and really impossible for the spectator in terms of what happend.
And last but not least the kicker at the end - is in the spectators hand.

It is always hard to open up a magic presentation with a card effect,
you fight agains various pre-opinions.Some people hate card effects....counting tricks etc.
That´s why you have to set a premise before you take out your cards.

And the plot in "Back in Time" is a interessting theme.
If you think about it,everyone had the wish to go back in time and change things up.
I will give you my patter :

"Hey who of you guys believe in time travelling?"
Something like in the movie Back to the future,would´t it be interessting to go back in time and have a cup of tea with
Albert Einstein or see the dinosaurs live in action?Or changing the stock price at the Wall Street! :) Don´t you agree?
Well,i´m not able to go that far back in time,i´m working on that part but for now i´m only able to go back in time for 1 minute.
Let´s do a time travelling experiment - who´s gonna particpate? You? Great.
Look i´ve got here a deck of cards.
I want you to pick any of those,it doesnt matter which one.
Look at the card,show it to your friends and if you don´t have friends...well then just remember it.
Place it back in the deck and don´t forget the card! If you do...then your and my time is wasted. :P
Now look,i´m gonna mix up the cards in very different way then most people do.
The cards are going face up and face down....a way like a little child would shuffle cards up.
As you can see the cards are in chaos like state.Knowing your card or even finding your card would be impossible.
"Looking at the top card" Your card wasn´t the 6 of clubs or?
Great,else this experiement was over and not impressive at all.
Well,take this 6 and wave it over the deck like a magic wand.
STOP!
Do you know what you did right now?
You have send all the cards 1 minute back in time!
Yeah really!
Look all the cards are now straightend out like in the beginning of this experiment!
And we are back in time right at the moment where you have picked your card! Turn the card in your hand over!

As you can see,this script/patter is simple but creates in the mind of the spectator interesst on what you are going to do.
Also everyone can rely on the thought going back in time.
So think about your effects which you perform and how you can connect to your audience by shifting the patter to be interessting.
Sucking them into your magical presentation like a Vortex (shamless plug i know).

After the effect is over you can let them sign the card and go into a ACR make it come back to the top (like going back in time).
For me my effects should be like : If i could do really magic - would i perform a cutting to the aces effect? NO!
Here is a link to a Video which shows only the reactions of my magic

Enjoy!

That's because you call yourself a magician ... while other people (myself included) call themselves card artists or sleight of hand artists ... we dont introduce ourselves as magicians we don't want to fool people ... all we do is show them how the hand is faster than the eye .. it's a display of skill.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
Yes,the difference is that in cardistry the technique or your mechanics are exposed openly and you get credited for fast hands/skill.
In magic you hide the technique you are using to create a magical experience.
I don´t want to debate on which art is better to amaze the people  ;) that´s everyone´s own choice/decesion.
Just wanted to help others who perform magic to get better in their magic.That´s all.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:39:09 PM by cosmicsecret »
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
For me, it would be Watermark, it's easy, it's a killer, and no one ever knows what it is.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605