Federal 52 Part 2 plus images

Author (Read 14002 times)

Re: Federal 52 Part 2 plus images
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Jackson - What about playing around with the idea of putting a small amount of UV ink on your black reserve and don't tell anyone about it.  It's doable.  It's only .10 extra per deck. 

"This isn’t a new ink, you may have seen this on our tragic royalty deck.  The design for UV ink has to be approved by our printing manager and the cost is $0.10 more per deck."

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Jackson - What about playing around with the idea of putting a small amount of UV ink on your black reserve and don't tell anyone about it.  It's doable.  It's only .10 extra per deck. 

"This isn’t a new ink, you may have seen this on our tragic royalty deck.  The design for UV ink has to be approved by our printing manager and the cost is $0.10 more per deck."

That's an extra $500 dollars per 5000 decks. For a frivolous marking that no one even knows about.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member

That's an extra $500 dollars per 5000 decks. For a frivolous marking that no one even knows about.

Technically, it would be just $100, as he's only printing 1000 decks. But it's still $100!!
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Although I still can't find myself a true enough fan of these decks to want to buy them, there is no doubt that the art is absolutely amazing and Jackson is extremely talented. I think it's the shear fact that I hate the look of American currency. But regardless, I almost stare in awe of the design and artwork of this deck and just love how it's been done. Maybe I'll find myself pledging this time around.  :D
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 12:29:34 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

only printing 1000 decks.

Quote from: USPCC
The minimum order quantity for a custom run is 2,500 decks.

Did I miss something? ._.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:29:55 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 01:43:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

...and Tragic Royalty handled like cowpies...though to be fair, it's possible that was due to the awful gray ink used on the backgrounds.  I'm still waiting to see Grid 2.0 before I pass judgment on UV inks as a category.

And I'm STILL trying to figure out why you'd want UV markings on this deck!  What purpose would it serve?  The deck will look like currency already, it doesn't need to be made like currency.

Technically, it would be just $100, as he's only printing 1000 decks. But it's still $100!!

No matter how you slice it, it doesn't fit in this design, period, so there's no point in spending money on it.  Jackson's currency deck designs hearken back to OLDER currency, bills that were created before anyone had heard of UV strips, color-shifting inks, microprinting, adding blue & red fibers to the paper, etc.  Those are all MODERN anti-counterfeiting measures.

only printing 1000 decks.

Quote from: USPCC
The minimum order quantity for a custom run is 2,500 decks.

Did I miss something? ._.

No, you didn't.  It's a case of one of two things.  Either a) he's just making the tuck box different and the cards inside are the same, or b) because of all the cash he's dropping at their plant (EIGHT DECKS plus this one) they're letting him make a short run on this special edition deck.  USPC has been known to bend some of their rules for people who are making a LOT of cards with them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:47:14 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Don, I can only count six decks, unless Jackson is making in branded of the next two decks as well. Has this been confirmed?
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
There is gonna be a total of 9 decks in the Federal 52 series:

Branded Federal 52
Unbranded Federal 52
Branded Gold Certificate
Unbranded Gold Certificate
Branded Silver Certificate
Unbranded Silver Certificate
Branded Reserve Note
Unbranded Reserve Note
Unbranded "Black" Limited Edition Reserve Note

WOW is that confusing  :)
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Thanks for clearing that up!

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
hmm notice he didn't say nay or yea for UV inks.  I betting on the "Unbranded "Black" Limited Edition Reserve Note"  It's important to make a deck special.  Black and UV would set that deck apart...Gear up the rumor mill...

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Still not sure about the UV inks yet, I see your idea but it seem a little novel to me. In terms of making this deck special, I am redesigning every single card for the Reserve Note. I'm not really sure how many people actually own a uv light much less use one while playing with their cards. UV was awesome for Grid 2.0 but for my deck the focus is the designs them selves. As Don said, most of my designs favor older pre UV printing techniques.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Still not sure about the UV inks yet, I see your idea but it seem a little novel to me. In terms of making this deck special, I am redesigning every single card for the Reserve Note. I'm not really sure how many people actually own a uv light much less use one while playing with their cards. UV was awesome for Grid 2.0 but for my deck the focus is the designs them selves. As Don said, most of my designs favor older pre UV printing techniques.

I'm one of three people that I know that own a black light that can see UV ink. Not a common item I would think. I think go with your intentions and sell the deck on your ability to design them. No doubt you're talented so that in itself is enough. Oh and the whole UV ink thing, although I have a black light, I've used it once to see how much a few of my Ellusionist decks that had UV500 stock glowed. I don't find it a very useful or "cool" thing. An interesting fun fact no doubt but unnecessary and unneeded.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm one of three people that I know that own a black light that can see UV ink. Not a common item I would think. I think go with your intentions and sell the deck on your ability to design them. No doubt you're talented so that in itself is enough. Oh and the whole UV ink thing, although I have a black light, I've used it once to see how much a few of my Ellusionist decks that had UV500 stock glowed. I don't find it a very useful or "cool" thing. An interesting fun fact no doubt but unnecessary and unneeded.

Sprouts has been known for some out-on-a-limb ideas before and this is just another one.

Michael, I'd wager that price alone wasn't the only reason E stopped using UV500 stock - the fact that very few people ever bothered exposing them to a UV light may have been another.  Granted, the stock did handle well, but since Magic Finish came along nearly ALL decks handle well, the only variable being how firm or soft you want the paper to be.

Jackson, stick to your guns.  Your deck doesn't need UV ink and it will only increase the production cost for very little benefit in return.  Now, if you were talking metallic foil on the tuckbox, that might be a different story...  :))  (Nah, just kidding - even that wouldn't look right in this context!)

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Here is one of the Joker designs from the Silver Certificate deck.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 05:56:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here is one of the Joker designs from the Silver Certificate deck.

Looks good - as one would expect from you, at this point!  :))

BTW: that was very kind and generous of you to give shout-outs on your updates to other people's projects.  I'm a consultant for Uusi on the Royal Optik deck as I was for them on the Bohemia deck.

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It was both no problem and a no brainer for me to plug Optik. I truly believe Uusi and a few other projects really get it in terms of putting out the absolute best quality work and execution. Any help I can give them only serves as a way to promote more work at that standard.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:16:06 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Ok, so part two just started. This is how it went for me: *blink* 100% funded *blink* all 95 black reserve note decks GONE! *blink* 200% funded..... What the.....

I still haven't backed it! I'm just sitting here with my jaw on the desk at how fast that just happened!

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
So disappointed I forgot about the kickstarter campaign, and completely missed out on such an elegant and appealing bunch of decks. I tip my hat off to the creator of this  ;)
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member
Ok, so part two just started. This is how it went for me: *blink* 100% funded *blink* all 95 black reserve note decks GONE! *blink* 200% funded..... What the.....

I still haven't backed it! I'm just sitting here with my jaw on the desk at how fast that just happened!

Just a bot the same thing here, last time i looked it was right at $45,000.
Just think of the art we would have, if every twisted mind with great imagination had Jackson's skills
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I maintain the fact that this is the best designed deck I have ever seen in a deck of cards.

If I hadn't halted my collection several months ago, I'd own several bricks of each of the editions.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Does no one post links to these things anymore??

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722808047/federal-52-part-2-a-new-bicycle-playing-card-deck

It looks like this might be the new speedfunding record.  Damn near broke the sound barrier...  Already he's at over 300% and it's been what - not even a full DAY yet?

I smell a contender for the Name of the Wind record...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:45:02 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I've never used Kickstarter before so I've made an account just to pledge for these. But it seems you can only pledge for one reward tier. What do I do if I want all five decks?

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I've never used Kickstarter before so I've made an account just to pledge for these. But it seems you can only pledge for one reward tier. What do I do if I want all five decks?

Contact him about making a custom order pledge or make a second account.

Yes, KS is fucking stupid like that.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
Never mind, found my own answer!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:55:12 PM by The Quadfather »

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I maintain the fact that this is the best designed deck I have ever seen in a deck of cards.

If I hadn't halted my collection several months ago, I'd own several bricks of each of the editions.

I'm getting to the point of halting my collection also... This hobby is getting ridiculously expensive and I'm not someone that buys everything.

When I got a glimpse of the King of Clubs on the Kickstarter video, I knew I had to have these.

The reserve note decks are just too good to pass on.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:45:25 PM by Legacy »