You are Here:
Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards

Author (Read 31756 times)

Re: Follow up on Galvanic Playing Cards
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

New announcement has just been uploaded under the Updates tab. Check it out! I'm pretty sure most of you will be happy about it : D
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't know much about getting a deck printed, but to me, that seems like it could be good but could also not be good. What if there is something on the deck that you don't  want there, or something like that. I think it would be good to see exactly what the final product will look like, before you pay to have 2500 of them printed. Thats just my opinion.

« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Already got my proofs and it will be printed exactly how they look. If there is a screw up uspcc fixes it with no charge within 90 days of shipment

« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I don't know much about getting a deck printed, but to me, that seems like it could be good but could also not be good. What if there is something on the deck that you don't  want there, or something like that. I think it would be good to see exactly what the final product will look like, before you pay to have 2500 of them printed. Thats just my opinion.
I totally agree. I don't think you should risk the 10,000$ and your backers just to save some time. It has already occurred more than once that there errors, and you wouldn't want that to happen to you as well. + it would be a good addition to your collection and a reward for your hard work.

EDIT: I just saw your post Sean. I still think you might regret it later on if you don't get a prototype though.

« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

It'll be an additional 4 weeks which I personally don't want

« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2012, 11:05:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Sean, trust me when I tell you this, even if it did delay the release as long as you think it will (which it shouldn't), GET THE PROTOTYPE.

The potential for disaster is high if anything doesn't look right once you've gone to press.  And consider the delays THAT would cause, getting it fixed, even if USPC's willing to cover the costs.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Having been in the print industry for almost 17 years and spending the first 4 of them prepping files for printing to film, I would have to agree with Sean. The hard part, the part where things could go wrong is pretty much worked out once the press sheets are setup. As long as Sean has seen a high resolution CMYK version of the digital proofs and checked over each channel and the images are clear and crisp, I say go for it! If the prototypes are truly printed through a regular color laser printer (or at that size, probably a large-scale inkjet plotter), and not the actual printing press that the final cards will be run on, then the color matching is pretty much useless. If you don't need the prototype for promo purposes then the possibility to check for color is the only factor that isn't covered by the digital proofs, and that possibility isn't there, unless the USPCC has their prototype printer calibrated meticulously close to their printing presses. Which I would think is highly unlikely.

In the non-playing card industry, approvals from digital proofs are an everyday occurance. We do a lot of work for big alcohol brands like Absolut, Jameson and Malibu and do a lot of large-scale grocery displays for them. We approve prototypes for the displays but they are always "white box" prototypes, finished displays without graphics to check the structure of the piece. Once the graphics are built to the dielines then digital proofs are used for approval purposes. If it's an extremely important or large print run then one of us will be at the printer for a press check when the first press sheets are printed. I don't think the USPCC allows that! The USPCC works out the Finish and Card Stock, so if there is a problem with either of those then that is nothing Sean or the Prototypes would have foreseen and I'm sure they would correct the mistake. If the prototypes were truly printed on the same press, paper stock and finish as the finals then I would say definitely get them but since they aren't it could be just an unneccessary luxury item.

For my cards I was planning on sending the art for the Prototype deck with slight variations for each face card's background pattern. That way I would be able to pick which pattern density looked the best against the background and PIPS and change all of the patterns to the matching opacity level. Once I found out that the prototypes were only printed on an office printer (making my pattern opacity tests useless), I changed them all back to the opacity that looked best on screen and print on my laser printer.

That's just my opinion on it though!

thanks, Randy

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:02:30 PM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2012, 12:44:19 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Dont get a proto, there is no sense wasting money on something that isn't needed.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:27 AM »

Russell CircleCityCards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Aaron, stop speaking, that brought nothing to the table.

The prototypes from USPCC are 99% accurate, even if they are 'digital prints' and not press copies. They are an invaluable resource, without them you are just guessing at the color.

CMYK =/= RGB
Circle City Cards - 'Hornet' decks now available!
HOPC - 'Sanguine' & 'Azure' just released!
Facebook - 'Like' us! We frequently have contests!

« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm with Russell on this.  I'm no expert professional printer and I can't tell you the number of times what I saw on the screen and what I saw on the page didn't match or even come close.  "WYSISYG" - "what you see is what you get" - is never 100% on the money, or even close.

This is what Sean posted at KS three days ago:

I wanted to explain something to all my backers and for those following this project. I was talking with the reps over at uspcc earlier today and one of them told me they are being slammed over there in the prototype department. If I would still like to do prototypes (1 deck, 1 uncut tuck case and 1 unsheet) it could take up four weeks for that alone.

Here is what I'm going to do. I am going to skip the prototypes and go right for the printing : D Personally this is great news. This means the decks will be produced in a matter of three weeks. Prototypes are only mock ups. They are digital prints and don't use printing plates. They are hand cut and not machine cut. So to make prototypes and making an actual Bicycle deck are two completely different processes. The only purpose they serve to give a 3d visual of the deck to come. Most companies order prototypes for marketing purposes (i.e. pictures, videos, promotions, trailers etc)

So tomorrow I will be handing in the contract so I'll be put on schedule. Thoughts or concerns? Feel free to contact me at anytime. I'll try to respond back as fast as I can.

So excited! It's getting closer and closer to having this deck in your hands! : D

Based on this, he hasn't seen ANY HARD COPIES from USPC of this deck, and he's just signed off on getting it made.  This is not a move I'd recommend to anyone printing anything of significance.  For his sake, I hope he gets lucky and everything looks exactly as he envisioned it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:32:44 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #260 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

The prototypes from USPCC are 99% accurate, even if they are 'digital prints' and not press copies. They are an invaluable resource, without them you are just guessing at the color.

Since Russell is one of the few people on here who's been able to compare the USPCC Protodeck side-by-side with the final printed cards, I would reconsider and get the prototype. If their prototype printer is really that close to the presses then it would go a long way to ease your mind and remove a lot of concerns, and second-guesses, while they're in the final printing stage.

thanks, Randy

EDIT: Don, WYSIWYG is very doable as long as you have a properly calibrated monitor, always work in CMYK, check your levels and stay away from bad CMYK builds (ex. 83c, 76m, 45y, 92k vs. 30c, 30m, 30y, 100k for a Rich Black - this happens when starting in RGB and converting later to CMYK). No that I think more about Sean's cards, I realize with the court cards originating as 3d Renders (3d can only Render out in RGB), he should be careful on the CMYK values of the blacks and shading of the court robots themselves.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:12:02 AM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #261 on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

EDIT: Don, WYSIWYG is very doable as long as you have a properly calibrated monitor, always work in CMYK, check your levels and stay away from bad CMYK builds (ex. 83c, 76m, 45y, 92k vs. 30c, 30m, 30y, 100k for a Rich Black - this happens when starting in RGB and converting later to CMYK). No that I think more about Sean's cards, I realize with the court cards originating as 3d Renders (3d can only Render out in RGB), he should be careful on the CMYK values of the blacks and shading of the court robots themselves.

True, yes, but those are a lot of caveats.  I was simply recalling a simple MS Word project I did for my boss at work last week creating a sign.  I chose a shade of green for some highlighting that should have stood out rather brightly based on how it appeared on the monitor, but when printed it looked like mud.  Very often the colors on-screen with her hardware and software don't entirely match with printed hard copies.

« Reply #262 on: April 29, 2012, 10:24:29 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
True, yes, but those are a lot of caveats.  I was simply recalling a simple MS Word project I did for my boss at work last week creating a sign.  I chose a shade of green for some highlighting that should have stood out rather brightly based on how it appeared on the monitor, but when printed it looked like mud.  Very often the colors on-screen with her hardware and software don't entirely match with printed hard copies.

Word and Publisher are the banes of any Production Artist's world! Back in the mid-90's when I was prepping prepress files we would occassionally get clients wanting 4-Color separations printed out from MS Publisher. I don't remember exactly how anymore, but we were able to do it after countless exporting and importing accross different softwares and file types. It was always a nightmare! They may have saved some money on buying Publisher instead of Quark or Pagemaker (now InDesign), but it cost them in the long run once they got the extra hourly prepress charges!! With Word files we didn't even try. Back then it was impossible to print color separations from MS Word. Today, I have no idea.

I would imagine Sean doesn't have to worry about any of those problems with his files though.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Word and Publisher are the banes of any Production Artist's world! Back in the mid-90's when I was prepping prepress files we would occassionally get clients wanting 4-Color separations printed out from MS Publisher. I don't remember exactly how anymore, but we were able to do it after countless exporting and importing accross different softwares and file types. It was always a nightmare! They may have saved some money on buying Publisher instead of Quark or Pagemaker (now InDesign), but it cost them in the long run once they got the extra hourly prepress charges!! With Word files we didn't even try. Back then it was impossible to print color separations from MS Word. Today, I have no idea.

I would imagine Sean doesn't have to worry about any of those problems with his files though.

thanks, Randy

I know, I know (lol) - no one doing print uses MS Word for anything other than driving themselves insane!!  It was just an example of how things on-screen and in-print can look very different.  Even a little different might be enough different to leave Sean (and his customers, like me) unhappy, but let's hope for the best.

« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

dcell59

• True Member
In any case, it's an interesting gamble. If things go perfectly, he makes his May delivery date (or at least he gets to start shipping in May) and gets to be a hero. If not, he could be looking at a long summer of waiting.

« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:26 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Well I bring to you the first image fresh from the printing press : D The tuck cases have been printed ans the cards themselves will be printed by Friday! The printing came out very very well! Crisp and clear with no problems! Can't wait to get these to all of you!

I know during the Kickstarter all pledges said the estimated delivery was by May. I do apologize about this and I hope most of you will understand. This was my first ever Kickstarter project and I know now what to expect for my next deck. Thank you everyone for your patience and thank you again for making this project come true.

« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Well I bring to you the first image fresh from the printing press : D The tuck cases have been printed ans the cards themselves will be printed by Friday! The printing came out very very well! Crisp and clear with no problems! Can't wait to get these to all of you!

I know during the Kickstarter all pledges said the estimated delivery was by May. I do apologize about this and I hope most of you will understand. This was my first ever Kickstarter project and I know now what to expect for my next deck. Thank you everyone for your patience and thank you again for making this project come true.
Dont worry too much about being over the date. I have never bought a deck on KS that was delivered when it said.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The deck looks great! I'm glad to see that the process is almost over and we will have the decks in our hands soon!

« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
a new pic

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
So glad this deck was funded. Amazing how quickly it was printed and ready to ship,now the kickstarter backers can get there decks. ;D

« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I think Sean was the luckiest card designer of all of us, he hit the USPCC scheduling so perfect that galvanic just flew through faster than anything I've seen or heard of. Sure wish everyone could get that kind of timeline. Now all the fun and games are over, and the grind of shipping begins. :)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

Paul your right with your post. These decks were printed dead on schedule. As a first time customer through uspcc, they definitely earned my respect for wanting to come back in the future. Everyone who I talked with was so kind and helpful throughout the entire process. Any questions I had they took the time to explain to me clearly the answers. Thank you again everyone who followed me with this project. Without you guys this wouldn't have happened. Shipping starts Friday and to tell you the truth I cannot wait. For some reason I feel like thats going to be fun rather then annoying and stressful. We'll see how it goes! : D

« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Congrats Sean! They look amazing in the pictures, can't wait to see them in real life :)

« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
just got my decks... the color on the backs for the deck are VERY faded. like not even close to the same color that is on the box. also all the the court cards have small red dots on them are they supposed to be there? also the blacks on all the black pips and numbers seem faded as well.

the stock is REALLLLLY soft as well
have you heard the word???