You are Here:
Price Check on Two Decks

Author (Read 1920 times)

Price Check on Two Decks
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:39:58 AM »

Gavin

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Hey guys, It's been years since I've done anything with cards really, and even if I do something it's with normal bicycles or whatever I have. I'm really not interested in collecting decks anymore, so I think I should sell these off before I get any funny ideas. I'm planning on selling these on ebay but I dont know the prices of them really and I thought I'd check back here so I can get an idea of what to put the starting bid at.

I have one of the old New Fanbacks, red, sealed with the celo rolled up at the bottom a bit, there is no tears and none of the box exposed. I also have a sealed golden nugget deck, you don't really see these ones up for sale, sealed at least, and it is in great condition. These decks are pretty hard to find, so any ideas on how much I should start the bidding at would be great. Also, just to be clear, I'm selling these individually.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:42:36 AM by Gavin »

Re: Price Check on Two Decks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Start them at 99 cents, generate a lot of interest, and get more people lined up for a potential bidding war.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »

Gavin

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
Start them at 99 cents, generate a lot of interest, and get more people lined up for a potential bidding war.

That's a huge risk, imo. I'm not sure many people look for these cards and I don't want to get sniped. I might put it up as a $300 BIN or Best offer.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
You may want to check completed auctions. Very few GN decks sell for over $100: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=golden+nugget+playing+cards&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

That's a good barometer to give you an expectation of a potential sale price.

As a longtime buyer (Over 4K purchases on eBay since 1999), I'll tell you that I ignore most BIN listings (It's an auction site, so it needs to be an auction), ignore ALL auctions with a reserve, and almost always throw out a bid on ones that start out cheap, but then that's just me. It's the psychological double whammy of wanting a deal, and then "How dare they outbid me...I'll show them!!". I've seen many, many items sell for FAR more than they should due to this. I don't think that you'll sell them for $300 if you start them at 99 cents, but I also don't think that you'll sell them for $300 with a BIN either. The market just doesn't appear to support that number. Jerry's Nuggets almost never hit that amount, and, other than 1800's deck rarities, I don't see anything selling for more than Nuggets.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though, I hope that you get the number that you want. All it takes is that one seller that has to have what you're selling, no matter what the price is. Find him/her, and you're gold!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I very much understand Gavin's dilemma... I, had previously put things on for auction at low starting prices and have sold vintage as well as other decks that should have gone for $100+ for $20, taking a ridiculous hit... Thus, I now start the bidding at the least I'd take, and if it goes up from there, all the better... However, I understand it turns many people off due to the higher starting prices... It does work both ways, and I recently picked up a piece of playing card history that others have paid around $200 for recently for around $60... So maybe it all comes out in the wash... Who knows...

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
jmrock, you are exactly right. There's a ton of pros and cons for each, with no clear-cut perfect solution.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »

Gavin

• Newcomer

• Twitter:
I ended up putting it up for auction for $100. I put a pretty straight forward description and a bunch of pretty clear pictures. We'll see what happens.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261232282909

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
GN's are about $80-200 depending on color. I'd put those around $100.

New Fan Backs with bar code are about $20. I got two of them for $15 but that was almost four years ago.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah, the New Fan Backs aren't really that old.  You'll get about what Alex mentioned, I think, if not less.  You have the advantage in that it's a popular deck design, but it's also not hard to find these days.

And this entire topic is better suited for the STISO, I think, since we're discussing eBay sales.

BTW, BiggerDee: eBay stopped being a straight auction site a loooooong time ago...  Sometimes you can actually catch good deals in the "Buy It Now" category.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/