Author (Read 12613 times)

Re: What else do you collect?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:04 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I collect coins and video games. When I was younger, I collected Pokemon and Magic cards. I still have some of them. My old Pokemon collection was worth a few thousand in today's money, but unfortunately my younger sister ripped 'em all up when she was a baby. D:
Forum Founder.

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I collect everything related to the Lord of the Rings

You should see my collector LOTR deck - it's awesome
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have a couple of fish fossils, i believe they are currently with my parents so i hope they are safe.

What would happen to them?  Fish stew night is loooooong past if they're fossilized!

they could get broken.....

Sure they could - but I think your parents are likely to be more careful than, say, a younger sibling.  Why on earth would they even be handling them in the first place?

my younger brother lives there, and younger sister. They are in a random amour under clothes. so they could get broken if they are forgotten.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
oh where to begin. ;)

I've been pretty much a collector my whole life. It doesn't help that my dad got me into baseball collecting (i.e. cards,bats,balls,etc...) very early on, His collection is incredible. My collections range from postcards and baseball cards when i was really young. Key chains then vintage keys then comic books, very heavily (I have approx 2500 books, I almost have the whole run of Amazing spider man series going back to 1963) as i got  older i collected books (mainly magic and science books) and of course playing cards. I still dabble in comics but my focus for a while now has been playing cards. When I bought a house I focused on Furniture and Art as well, its almost a collection in itself at this point.

I guess you can say I have Obsessive collecting tendencies.  :karrit: ;D

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2013, 12:39:08 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
oh where to begin. ;)

I've been pretty much a collector my whole life. It doesn't help that my dad got me into baseball collecting (i.e. cards,bats,balls,etc...) very early on, His collection is incredible. My collections range from postcards and baseball cards when i was really young. Key chains then vintage keys then comic books, very heavily (I have approx 2500 books, I almost have the whole run of Amazing spider man series going back to 1963) as i got  older i collected books (mainly magic and science books) and of course playing cards. I still dabble in comics but my focus for a while now has been playing cards. When I bought a house I focused on Furniture and Art as well, its almost a collection in itself at this point.

Hopefully you make a good living. Collecting Furniture and Art could get expensive in the blink of an eye!!!

I have a nice collection of alcohol Gift Packs down in my basement Bar. These are the special Packs that come out during the Holidays and usually come with a bottle(s) and an extra item or two - Shaker, Glassware, Coasters.....

I rotate them before any parties or Poker nights. There's usually 5-8 out and another 20 or so in the storage room. I end up designing a few each year for my day job, so I try to pick those up and a few competitor Packs that have cool designs or sweet branded items. The good thing is, when you get sick of displaying it, the items inside are very useable. One can say just like Playing Cards! But I always open and use my Cards.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2013, 04:53:18 AM »

modi

• Newcomer
In addition to playing card I also collect Comics (over 16k at the moment), Video Games (pretty much all major systems and quite a few obscure), I'm also an animation addict, My DVD collection is constantly growing, plus I have Laserdisc's and VHS of titles that haven't seen a DVD release. I occasionally pick up coins, and have a couple of nice items, but that's on a much smaller scale. So... Yeah, I'm Pretty much a geek.
“Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.”― Terry Pratchett

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »

RSLancastr

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Here's an odd, long (but cool, I think) story which relates to the topic (be patient, though):

A couple of years ago, I received an email with the subject "Are you the Robert Lancaster who attended Cal State Fullerton" and the body of the email continued "...in the mid 1970s?"

I did indeed attend CSU Fullerton from around 1976-1978, but had not made any lasting nor meaningful friendships there. I could not remember the names of anyone I had met there, and would have been surprised if anyone I had met there remembered my name either, so I was very curious as to who might have sent the email.

When I replied that I had indeed attended back then, and asked if I knew the person who had sent the email, he replied that no, he did not know me. He had recently purchased an old edition of a Justice League of America comic book at a comic store and, when he opened it at home to read it, a CSUF report card for Robert Lancaster from 1976 fell out!

Intrigued, he had Googled my name, and found a page about me which showed him that I was about the right age, and had lived in Southern California in my youth, so he contacted me.

Another thing which absolutely confirmed (for me, anyway) that it was me: Justice League of America was the only comic I had ever collected with any consistency. I had collected it from grade school through my college years, and had every issue from around #12 through around #120 in a shoebox somewhere.

So how did my comic end up in a comic store near San Diego?

Well, I had recently spent nearly a year in various hospitals, after having suffered a massive stroke. I had spent about the first two months of that in a coma, and was not expected to live (my wife says that the docs told her that I should have died at least twice by that point).

Facing mounting medical bills and the likelihood of soon becoming a widow, Susan had, at the urging of my siblings, decided to try to sell off some of the fifty years' worth of junk I had accumulated (I'm a bit of a packrat), and my JLA collection had been a part of what she had asked my brother and his wife to sell off. Luckily, my mother, knowing how much my playing card collection meant to me, had convinced her not to sell THAT. (whew!)

I called my brother and found out that, while they had sold via eBay most of what Susan had given them, they had sold my JLA collection to a comic store near their home in San Diego.

The gentleman who had emailed me was kind enough to snailmail me the comic and the report card (holy crap I had bad grades!), and refused my offer to reimburse him for them.

So that's another thing I collected - JLA comics. Modi's post reminded me of that.

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I used to collect quarters. I was really proud when I got all 50 states (I had to wait for Alaska forever). Then the Mint started releasing state parks quarters, and I thought "Screw that". I mostly stick to cards nowadays.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I used to collect quarters. I was really proud when I got all 50 states (I had to wait for Alaska forever). Then the Mint started releasing state parks quarters, and I thought "Screw that". I mostly stick to cards nowadays.

All those custom commemorative coins out now that was worth little more than face value?  I hate them - I look at the change in my pocket and I keep thinking someone gave me a foreign coin or something.  Any money that I have to examine that closely to know it's money, isn't practical and is a BIG waste of money.

I remember years ago walking into an HMV shop and not being able to make a purchase because the cashier didn't recognize a Susan B. Anthony dollar as US currency...  If we have people that dumb working with cash every day, why make it more challenging to them?  Oh, yes, I think having several dozen different quarter designs is such a [sarcasm]GREAT[/sarcasm] idea...  And messing with nickels and dollar coins, too!  They haven't bothered with the dime (probably because it's too small of a canvas to work on) and the penny received only a small design tweak with the new Shield Back.  I half expect some nitwit at Treasury to come up with stupid crap like a 20c coin (when we already have 10c and 25c ones) or some other bizarre new value like a 75c coin...and they'd put faces of foreign dignitaries, presidents, etc. because they'll have run out of American topics to choose from!!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
Now that I am old enough, I am going to start collecting Folding/Hunting Knives, Zippo lighters and Cut Throat Razors!

Any Zippo lighter donations will help! :P
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Now that I am old enough, I am going to start collecting Folding/Hunting Knives, Zippo lighters and Cut Throat Razors!

Any Zippo lighter donations will help! :P

In this corner of the world, we usually call them "straight-cut razors", and you rarely see them outside of an old-school barber shop that does shaves.

Old enough?  I've had Zippo lighters in my early teens and folding pocket knives (in my state, the legal limit is a 4" blade, about 10cm) going back to my pre-teens!  Wow, growing up these days must suck compared to when I was a kid in the 1970s and '80s...

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

All those custom commemorative coins out now that was worth little more than face value?  I hate them - I look at the change in my pocket and I keep thinking someone gave me a foreign coin or something.  Any money that I have to examine that closely to know it's money, isn't practical and is a BIG waste of money.

I remember years ago walking into an HMV shop and not being able to make a purchase because the cashier didn't recognize a Susan B. Anthony dollar as US currency...  If we have people that dumb working with cash every day, why make it more challenging to them?  Oh, yes, I think having several dozen different quarter designs is such a [sarcasm]GREAT[/sarcasm] idea...  And messing with nickels and dollar coins, too!  They haven't bothered with the dime (probably because it's too small of a canvas to work on) and the penny received only a small design tweak with the new Shield Back.  I half expect some nitwit at Treasury to come up with stupid crap like a 20c coin (when we already have 10c and 25c ones) or some other bizarre new value like a 75c coin...and they'd put faces of foreign dignitaries, presidents, etc. because they'll have run out of American topics to choose from!!

Forget the 20c and 75c coins.
Let's make a TRILLION DOLLAR coin.  ;D
Even after the idea's been hashed, I still wonder who had the original idea for this fantastic bit of idiocy.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Forget the 20c and 75c coins.
Let's make a TRILLION DOLLAR coin.  ;D
Even after the idea's been hashed, I still wonder who had the original idea for this fantastic bit of idiocy.

Obviously someone who believed that the Federal Government wasn't wasting enough taxpayer dollars...  :))

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
I collect coca cola merchandise and coca cola bottle tops :')
-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I like to collect sticks.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I use to collect comics, marbles, conkers, POGS (duno if u had them in america or anywhere else) and crap loads of football stickers and sticker books.

Now I collect playing cards, diecast car models, RC vehicles (only slowly as its stupid expensive) and international currency :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »

Zlaker

• Newcomer
I used to collect comics,

Now I just collect decks of cards, watches, shot glasses and good scotch whisky and Irish whiskey
Cheers
-Zlaker

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

Now I just collect decks of cards, watches, shot glasses and good scotch whisky and Irish whiskey

cheers, I'm always a fan of a good scotch.

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2013, 12:54:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

cheers, I'm always a fan of a good scotch.

I used to collect all of those things.  Now, just the first two (after comics), and the watch collection rarely gets a new piece added.  Can't afford it with all the cards I buy!  :))

A good single-malt  Irish whiskey to try: Bushmills Three-Wood 16-Year-Old.

A good blended Irish whiskey to try: Bushmills 1608.  I've tried Midleton, and it's good, but this is better.

A good Scotch whisky to try: Aberlour A'bunadh - a Speyside whisky at 60% ABV.  It comes in batches - 40 seems to get consistently good reviews.  I loved it no matter what batch it was.

If you're feeling more experimental...

A good rum to sip, NOT blend: Pampero Anniversario.  Sips like a very good brandy.

A good cognac: Anything from Delamain.  To give you an idea of how good they are, the least grade they make is XO.  I've had the XO and the Vesper, the aroma alone is quite intoxicating.  The better (and extremely expensive) grades are Tres Venerable, Reserve de la Famille and the annual vintages.

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2013, 03:30:31 AM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
I collect Christmas ornaments from around the world.  My favorite is the yak ornament from Tibet, made with genuine yak hair!

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2013, 05:21:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I collect Christmas ornaments from around the world.  My favorite is the yak ornament from Tibet, made with genuine yak hair!

My family did that for quite some time.  I kept it up for a while with my first wife, but generally lost interest in even decorating for the holidays near the end of the marriage.  My new wife is Jewish, more by heritage than religion, and her son is Catholic - we might put up a mini-tree for him, but that's about it.  He doesn't mind - I'm sure his dad goes the whole nine yards and he'd prefer we spend money on his gifts!

Did you get the Tibetan ornament while visiting, from a friend/family member who visited, or from a store a bit closer to home?  I had friends that lived in India for a while and visited Tibet - I still have yet to hear the whole adventure from them.

There is one other thing I was collecting for a while when I was younger, thanks to my dad - step-mothers!  :))

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »

Soliloquy

• Forum Regular
Did you get the Tibetan ornament while visiting, from a friend/family member who visited, or from a store a bit closer to home?  I had friends that lived in India for a while and visited Tibet - I still have yet to hear the whole adventure from them.
Actually, some 20-odd years ago my sister was an intern for a small NGO associated with the United Nations.  One day on her way to work she practically tripped over some Tibetan hunger strikers bedded down outside the UN, and stopped to talk with them and their supporters.  (Also ended up writing an article about the incident for a now-defunct online magazine.)  That's how we came to know several Tibetan people, who have gifted us with various souvenirs and ephemera from their country (paintings, beads, bank notes, etc.).  All very interesting and beautiful!  The yak was one such thing, accompanied by an ornament with "Om" painted on it.

« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Actually, some 20-odd years ago my sister was an intern for a small NGO associated with the United Nations.  One day on her way to work she practically tripped over some Tibetan hunger strikers bedded down outside the UN, and stopped to talk with them and their supporters.  (Also ended up writing an article about the incident for a now-defunct online magazine.)  That's how we came to know several Tibetan people, who have gifted us with various souvenirs and ephemera from their country (paintings, beads, bank notes, etc.).  All very interesting and beautiful!  The yak was one such thing, accompanied by an ornament with "Om" painted on it.

You should start a Talk Park topic and show off some of your collection - it sounds wonderful!

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2013, 03:27:22 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I am now starting to collect old and vintage cameras! Got 4 in my collection at the moment, 3 take film, 1 is a brick, you could use it as one too!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee