You are Here:
CREEPY deck..., THIS IS IT !!! :D

Author (Read 14569 times)

CREEPY deck..., THIS IS IT !!! :D
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Hey folks,
New playing cards deck design will be live on Kickstarter in a few days, this week..!!
Horror themed, creepiest monsters ever as court cards, creepy design for custom aces too. Graphic art all hand drawn..
Designed and illustrated by Johnny Whaam
Here's the King of Diamonds...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:16:01 PM by whaam »

Re: CREEPY deck
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
I could see this going over pretty well. It can be easily marketed to non-collectors as well. Good luck with the project.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Nice details but looks muddled and lacks a focal point. Definitely has potential! Please update us with more pictures. Good luck!

PS: Oh and i hope the actual deck isnt called the 'Creepy deck'. Please put some thought into originality. :)
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Thanks, I really wanted to do something special with this design and keep that regular courts feel too,...hope it'll attract backers that like good art +/or playing cards.
Will be posting more cards when we start with the campaign.

And to Froggo... :D hehe, actually...yes,...it's called "Creepy" for real. Every court card has different art, every creature original and creepier than the other. Even before I started the design (actual work) there was only 1 word for this deck (for me).
  I know exactly what you mean by.."lacks a focal point" on this King, that was the intention,...lot of graphic details mixed in an almost abstract way.
Thanks

Johnny

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:46 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I actually look at this card and think, "Hamlet" gone monster.  Great artwork, the question is if there is an audience who will be open to receiving it.  I look forward to seeing more of the cards and back.  Who is your printer?
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Normally, I don't like this kind of design. But, in this case, depending on the rest of the cards, I may be interested. Anyway, good luck to your project, although I agree that this will be an easy funding project.
Enthusiast collector

Re: CREEPY deck live on Kickstarter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Thanks guys,
Creepy deck will be printed by USPCC, not Bicycle branded though. Still, top quality guaranteed.
We're now live on Kickstarter, your support is greatly appreciated.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/creepy-playing-cards-deck?ref=live

All courts...same quality art as on KoD... We want to have interesting updates so..new pic coming tomorrow.

Johnny

Re: CREEPY deck live on Kickstarter !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

whaam

• True Member
New pic added.., King of Spades..

Large pic here...http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/creepy-playing-cards-deck?ref=live

Johnny

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Are these going to be B&W?  Color accents?  Color?  I like creepy as much as the next guy, but I like some color too!  These remind me of the tshirts I wore as a kid in the 70s
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »

whaam

• True Member
Hey
No color on Creepy, only B/W design.
New stuff:
Here's the tuck-box for Creepy.
Now, when I was starting to think about the design for this one, the illustrator in me said "hey, you got cards with lots of details, very complex artwork style here,...that's how the tuck should be,...and more". I said OK,...let's do that. But, while I was preparing the design... the designer in me came forward and said "hey, no way. You should do the opposite, a minimalistic approach to the design that only gives a hint of what is to be expected inside the box." And guess what, I took the designers advice.
On the front of the box there's blood dripping (or oozing) from the Creepy text that creates a creature below. The creature's brain is exposed and it's got its back turned to us though,... it noticed we're watching and it's slowly turning, get ready for a face to face meeting
Half of front pic prevails white, half black (as this is a B/W graphic design).
Anyways, hope you like,...thanks.

Oh yes,...we're over 45% of the funding goal and with 26 days to go.
Johnny

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Playing cards are nice but the tuck case is boring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 01:48:58 AM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
Now, when I was starting to think about the design for this one, the illustrator in me said "hey, you got cards with lots of details, very complex artwork style here,...that's how the tuck should be,...and more". I said OK,...let's do that. But, while I was preparing the design... the designer in me came forward and said "hey, no way. You should do the opposite, a minimalistic approach to the design that only gives a hint of what is to be expected inside the box." And guess what, I took the designers advice.

I get where you are going with the idea for a more minimalistic design on the tuck box. I like the idea but for some reason I am also finding the tuck box to be boring in comparison to the art on your court cards. If I had to pin point why, I'd guess that it's because it's inconsistent from the rest of your card art. More specifically, the lighting is inconsistent on both the tuck box and between the tuck box and your other art.

On the box art: The light source on the monsters head is different from the light on the rest of the body. We should be able to see at least some highlights on the shoulders like we do on the top of the head.

Between the box art and the card art: One of the things I really love about your monster art is the contrast between the black and white and the different line weights that you use. :] That variation suggests some very dramatic lighting and drawing it as line art makes it look minimalistic in it's own way. Minimalistic but still round and full of depth. And that's where I think the inconsistency is coming from with your box art. There is so much black that it actually flattens out the image. I like that you want to add more black to this image, but it doesn't look like it's in quite the right place. I would suggest adding in that blackness with line weights like you did before, just make them thicker (even really thick) in the back where you want it to be in shadow. By using thick lines instead of just a big black shape, you will leave room for little highlights (or reflective light) that will give roundness to the box image as well.

Some examples of the highlights and reflective light I'm talking about:
http://striegle25762.c4.cmdwebsites.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sp2-2-4-12.jpg
http://richardclarketraining.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dscf2608.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/318/9/6/high_contrast_portrait_by_shroomkin-d5l081z.jpg

Anyway, that's just what I see. Please just take this as an opinion from another pair of artist eyes. That's all it's meant to be. You are clearly a talented artist and I think this is a great looking deck. :]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:00:37 AM by Candace B »

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 04:58:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I get where you are going with the idea for a more minimalistic design on the tuck box. I like the idea but for some reason I am also finding the tuck box to be boring in comparison to the art on your court cards. If I had to pin point why, I'd guess that it's because it's inconsistent from the rest of your card art. More specifically, the lighting is inconsistent on both the tuck box and between the tuck box and your other art.

On the box art: The light source on the monsters head is different from the light on the rest of the body. We should be able to see at least some highlights on the shoulders like we do on the top of the head.

Between the box art and the card art: One of the things I really love about your monster art is the contrast between the black and white and the different line weights that you use. :] That variation suggests some very dramatic lighting and drawing it as line art makes it look minimalistic in it's own way. Minimalistic but still round and full of depth. And that's where I think the inconsistency is coming from with your box art. There is so much black that it actually flattens out the image. I like that you want to add more black to this image, but it doesn't look like it's in quite the right place. I would suggest adding in that blackness with line weights like you did before, just make them thicker (even really thick) in the back where you want it to be in shadow. By using thick lines instead of just a big black shape, you will leave room for little highlights (or reflective light) that will give roundness to the box image as well.

Some examples of the highlights and reflective light I'm talking about:
http://striegle25762.c4.cmdwebsites.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sp2-2-4-12.jpg
http://richardclarketraining.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dscf2608.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/318/9/6/high_contrast_portrait_by_shroomkin-d5l081z.jpg

Anyway, that's just what I see. Please just take this as an opinion from another pair of artist eyes. That's all it's meant to be. You are clearly a talented artist and I think this is a great looking deck. :]

Those are some very astute observations.  Glad you've decided to promote yourself from lurker to newbie!

PS and off-topic: to those participating in the "fifth digit" sweepstakes contest, this is my 9,900th post - only a hundred more to go before there's a winner!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:59:51 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »

whaam

• True Member
From an artistic point of view I agree with what you said about tuck-box Candace, of course I had in mind slight inconsisteny with card art. But, designer point of view (mine) prevailed here,...half of box black, half white (ergo shadows)...with minimal use of lines, only on head...seemed poetic art expression to me and just perfect for the "outside" art. Two points of view applied here (imo) and both are right, just the perception of 1 or the other is different depending on the person (I can show you at least 4 comments on KS and elsewhere from people that absolutely love the box) :)

New card pic, King of Hearts.
Now, this creature might be less creepy of them all...but as I started drawing shape of its head reminded me of a sea horse and I decided to continue in that direction. Corals on its head,..all kings have something on their heads that represent crowns.
All Kings shown here...
We're over 52%, 24 days to go...., with your help...the funding goal can be reached. If you want to pledge you have our big THANKS,...if you only comment...you got a smaller 1,..thanks (just kidding..., thank you all)
Queens will be shown in updates next week.
Johnny Whaam

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/creepy-playing-cards-deck?ref=live

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »

Candace B

• DeviantArt:
Two points of view applied here (imo) and both are right, just the perception of 1 or the other is different depending on the person (I can show you at least 4 comments on KS and elsewhere from people that absolutely love the box) :)

Very true. Art can be seen differently by everyone. Glad to hear that you are getting a positive response. :]

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 08:14:12 PM »

magnacat

i am also glad to see that the cards are coming out nice, as i have backed, and i hope this project will turn out as i had wanted to see... the only problem i have, is even though you have 4 comments in random places that are for the tuck box, you have just as many -just here- that disagree. personally, if i ever show this deck to a friend, i don't want to have to explain why i bought a deck called simply "CREEPY", with such an unfortunate decision made for the tuck, so i will be sure to throw away the box, and just put the cards in another available empty. i mean no offense, i just seems that if you are capable of creating such nice court cards so far, you wouldn't want to represent your entire deck in such a way that detracts from it's overall appeal. please take the comments from people here seriously for once, there is a reason people have bothered to bring this to your attention. i understand if you are just coming here strictly to promote, then it makes sense not to take advice from people you don't know, but if you really want the best product possible for your backers, like me, please reconsider the name and the tuck. i have to agree with Froggo, the name is totally lackluster. if you have to, take a simple vote on names, i'm sure your backers (as well as people here) could give you some great ideas for a new title. however, i suppose, in the end, give your actual backers what they want to have, even if i don't agree with it. i just think you should give people an option. please consider this, i generally like to keep my decks in the original tuck, it would be nice to be able to do that here, as well. thanks for your time, and all the best to your project...

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, I may not agree with Magnacat about the title - I just have memories of the 1950's EC comic book of the same title - I do agree with what's being said about the tuck box.

If you're creating a simple deck with a minimalist design, make a minimalist box - it will fit the deck.  Your deck is among the furthest things possible from "minimalist."

The tuck box is meant as an advertisement for the contents inside, and that box isn't doing your deck design any favors.  Think of it like breakfast cereal - you're a kid walking down the cereal aisle of your local market and you see really cool cartoon characters and a picture of the toy inside on one box, while the box next to it has a picture of a field of wheat and no prize inside.  What would YOU pick?  Cereals live and die by their packaging - and so do playing cards, especially when you consider that there's an entire category of collectors that will never open the box, leaving it on a shelf display to be admired.  Those collectors would be among the most likely to pass on your deck for that reason alone - they love attractive packaging, almost more so than the cards themselves.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Queen of Clubs,...inspired by senor Picasso's ladies,...a little.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

whaam

• True Member

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

I'm personally not really into these collectors-only decks, but I would have to agree about the box. I really like the Image of the figure, but Candace's lighting suggestions should be taken into account. I also would like to say that I personally like the idea of something along the lines of "Royal Nightmares" for the title of this deck. That may sound cheesy. I don't know, go ahead and flame me who cares. At any rate it sounds A LOT less cheesy than simply "Creepy".

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 02:20:17 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Hey guys
I always take comments seriously, I'm designing this product (in the end, that's what it is) to sell. ..And if many backers or (potential ones) say.. "hey, something's wrong here" (or could be better),..I'm seriously considering changing it. It seems that a lot of you don't really like the tuck-box and for somebody like me..., it's not a problem changing it (talking about my artistic skill here). I just wanted to point out again that the first thing I wanted to do with the box is to make it extra detailed, so what I heard here...is exactly what my first thought was (for the box design). Somehow that was too plain and easy to do and I tried to look for a different solution that has....more soul. (I know,..how can more be less...or less be more?)
The creation of creature on the box was inspired somehow by the 2001: A space odyssey, the movie...and there's more to say about what it represents but...I was waiting if anybody will get that...and nobody did. I thought I got it right, I guess I didn't...and now it doesn't really matter then.
I will say that with all of you guys unhappy with the box (I understand now some collectors don't even open the box,...which is strange to me but... actually understandable (like the episode in the Big Bang theory, vintage Star Trek, mint in box..., not for play :)...I guess I'll change the box !
I would stick to what I believe is right if the funding was better and we were closer to the goal but at this point,....I want this deck to be a reality and if change would help,...change it is.
Creepy stays though,...I really like that name (also similar reason as design of the box,...everybody names the designs Royal, Evolution, Imperial..., all big words,...for once, I thought a simple "Creepy" would bring something different. It's OK to disagree with my choice)

And...., I've heard a lot about tuck-box, not that much about cards which are in my opinion...art cards, not just playing cards. Those could easily get a place in a museum or something :D  Am I right, am I ? :D:D:D

Btw, we could really use some help with funding our campaign, now is the time to jump on board if you're considering backing us...so we can easy go over the goal and bring the real decks to you (not virtual). All supporters that backed us already, Thanks so much..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919680633/creepy-playing-cards-deck?ref=search

Queen of Diamonds

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like "Creepy" myself - consider making the tuck box look more like an homage to the classic EC horror comics from the 1950s and I think people will "get it" much better.  Your art could have leapt off those pages, anyway, right?  :))

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »

Maskedfreakinabox

• True Member

• Kickstarter:

+1. That would be a rather cool idea. I'm all about subtle nods myself.

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Though I'm a freelance comic artist too, (...well not in the last 6-8 months, I've been busy) nothing big, still waiting for success to come to me (I'm trying to get to it first but somehow it slips away every time :) I honestly never heard of those comics until a guy messaged me on Creepy campaign..mentioning them.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try..
And Don, that axis of symetry suggestion on Iron Kings,...I implemented what I've learned in Creepy design, thanks.

Johnny

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Though I'm a freelance comic artist too, (...well not in the last 6-8 months, I've been busy) nothing big, still waiting for success to come to me (I'm trying to get to it first but somehow it slips away every time :) I honestly never heard of those comics until a guy messaged me on Creepy campaign..mentioning them.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try..
And Don, that axis of symetry suggestion on Iron Kings,...I implemented what I've learned in Creepy design, thanks.

Johnny

Glad I could help.  Just leave the envelope under my door - fill it with hundreds 'cause you can fit more cash in there...  :))