NEW DECK: Theory11 Rebel deck

Author (Read 32129 times)

Re: NEW DECK: Theory11 Rebel deck
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the #rebels."

Isn't that the "THINK DIFFERENT" campaign of Apple back in the day?

Anyway, I'm curious to see what this will look like.
just to let ya'll know I'm starting to drown in the number of decks coming out hahaha!!

I'm always excited to see new things, I hope this one tickles my fancy.
If they are going to use the "THINK DIFFERENT" campaign as their base of this deck, then I hope it would be something out of the norm. ^-^

I think the same concept was used for an ad campaign for Lee jeans or Levi's or something maybe a year ago.

I question T11's capacity to "think different", frankly!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the #rebels."

Isn't that the "THINK DIFFERENT" campaign of Apple back in the day?

Anyway, I'm curious to see what this will look like.
just to let ya'll know I'm starting to drown in the number of decks coming out hahaha!!

I'm always excited to see new things, I hope this one tickles my fancy.
If they are going to use the "THINK DIFFERENT" campaign as their base of this deck, then I hope it would be something out of the norm. ^-^

I think the same concept was used for an ad campaign for Lee jeans or Levi's or something maybe a year ago.

I question T11's capacity to "think different", frankly!  :))

I LoLed at that. Ahahahah!!!!
Although I have to admit I only found out quite recently from what I've read on T11's Designs. :P I guess you can call me a card ignorate. LoL. but yeah, it was the  Advertising Agency that Steve Jobs hired back then who came up with the "THINK DIFFERENT" campaign. :P yeah... I'm a AppleFanatic

The original long version appeared on posters made by Apple.

The Crazy Ones
Original

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward.
Maybe they have to be crazy.
How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?
We make tools for these kinds of people.
While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Full version
“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. - Apple Inc.”

Short version

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The rebels. The troublemakers. The ones who see things differently. While some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
When I heard who was designing the deck it immediately got my attention, I'm quite excited to see how it turns out after seeing some of his previous work.  :)

Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
When I heard who was designing the deck it immediately got my attention, I'm quite excited to see how it turns out after seeing some of his previous work.  :)

That whole "they didn't have rights to my art" thing could put a real damper on this deck, though.

EDIT: another whoops for me today - got this confused with the Spar deck made for Lu Chen; it has Si Scott art, but not fully authorized by him yet because he was hospitalized before the deck was completed.

This deck I'm also looking forward to seeing.  I'm not an uber-fan of Fairey but I do like his art.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:41:21 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 01:33:41 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Here is a picture of the Ace of Spades!

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
I just had six raw oysters for lunch. They were very good but I cut my hand opening them and I wonder if they are worth the effort. It is interesting seeing t11 comming out with a new deck. I like their products but then again I do not seem to dislike any playing card company although I have noticed kickstarter is annoying me with saturation. Once it becomes more profit driven than art driven I think it starts to recede. I would imagine these decks will be limited. Even though we all bitch about them it seems to be what collectors desire. This is supported when one sees how fast many of these sell out along with the price increase on Ebay. I will be keeping an eye out for the release date and I will be one of the numerous idiotssitting in front of my computer waiting for the exact moment they come up. As St. Augustine said, "without vice, there would be no virtue."

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It looks very nice, clean and elegant but really nothing special.

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
T11 sure are into that very heavy, stark and simple design these days. The Ace looks nice, has some fun little details in there. I'll be REALLY curious if they actually go full custom on this one, because if the whole premise of the deck is to be all rebellious and they end up with the same court and pips in use for the last 100+ years, that would be uber lame.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I like the ace, but it isn't my favorite. I think T11 needs to go a little more crazy on an ace and make a more detailed one. Although it is nice.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i think the ace of spades design is really nice .. and if you look carefully there is the seal design at the background

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
A few images by Fairey... I was lucky enough to purchase an original bill by Fairey as shown in the first pic... His attention to detail goes above and beyond... I hope he doesn't disappoint... A deck seems to be right up his alley, given his style...

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
If anyone agrees, I feel as though we have a rival for the monarchs on our hands!
Joker and the Thief

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
If anyone agrees, I feel as though we have a rival for the monarchs on our hands!
Honestly I never thought Monarchs are much of a rival..

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Honestly I never thought Monarchs are much of a rival..
I don't think too many people will agree... not many people here liked the Monarchs.
Someone even burned theirs...

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Seriously!?

That'd be fun to watch someone burn some cards.

Why doesn't anybody like the monarchs? I think they are a great deck.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:04:37 PM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Joker & the Thief... Thank you... The Monarchs are awesome... I don't know of a nicer box available anywhere... The backs are original and cool, and the colors on the fronts of the decks are fresh... The Jokers are reminiscent of the Original Bicycle Joker, and the Ace of Spades is elegant... To all y'all - Go buy some NOC decks and stop Hatin' on the Monarch deck... Hahaha!!! P.S. If the problem is that you're upset you don't have a Gold Edition Monarch, PM me a substantial offer and maybe I'll let one of mine go...

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 11:49:56 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Haha, I agree, one of my favourite decks!!
Handling is superb.
Jmrock, if you are interested, check out my review! (signature)

Joker and the Thief

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Seriously!?

That'd be fun to watch someone burn some cards.

I was actually very happy when they blended a deck and crushed another one on Exposé! :t11:

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 01:07:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I like them as well.  The issue was less about the cards and more about the massive hype leading up to their release.  It was being promoted as if it was the second coming of Jesus, and in the end the cards were nice and in no way lived up to the hype machine behind them.  Honestly, nothing could.  People were all excited about the cards and the gold that was supposed to be on the backs of them, and the final release was altered and had no gold ink on the backs.  They had an awesome box - there's no denying that T11 makes great tuck boxes - but the cards themselves didn't knock a lot of people's socks off, especially after the letdown about the gold ink on the backs.

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Don... Anyone can get a Gold Edition... Get some money up and grab one... $100+ for a 111 deck Run or the same $ for a S&M - what? 5K run?  That's what makes this world great... Choices... Gold Monarch or three of each color of the NOC deck... I'll take the Gold Monarch Thank You... And alright, I'll cool it with the NOC... I think you get my point... In actuality I was just a bit let down after all the  hype... Talk about a hype monster...

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2012, 01:53:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Don... Anyone can get a Gold Edition... Get some money up and grab one... $100+ for a 111 deck Run or the same $ for a S&M - what? 5K run?  That's what makes this world great... Choices... Gold Monarch or three of each color of the NOC deck... I'll take the Gold Monarch Thank You... And alright, I'll cool it with the NOC... I think you get my point... In actuality I was just a bit let down after all the  hype... Talk about a hype monster...

Not anyone can get them - only 111 people maximum can at any given time!

I didn't think they overhyped the NOC deck - compared to Monarchs, they scribbled an ad on the bathroom wall in Mars Bar downtown (a bar that epitomizes "dive bars").

But we're getting off-topic here.  Rebel deck...  Only saw the seal for the box...  Not much to talk about, then, is there?  :))

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 02:03:50 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

But we're getting off-topic here.  Rebel deck...  Only saw the seal for the box...  Not much to talk about, then, is there?  :))

Did you see the Ace of Spades? It is a little bit back.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Did you see the Ace of Spades? It is a little bit back.

Oh, yeah - nearly forgot about it.  I do like it, but it's mighty hard to evaluate it when it looks like the picture was taken from somewhere under the kitchen sink or in the back of a closet, without any flash.  It hearkens back to some of the more classic AoS designs.

So...  A deck seal AND the center of the AoS...  Still not a lot to go on.

This whole hype build-up with peeks here are there are getting tiresome.  Just show the blasted cards, or show nothing until the release.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:31:07 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Don... Agreed... At least they're not tweeting like with the Chinatown Fultons, which by the way have a new seal... The seal has two chopsticks printed on it and the deck's only selling for $40 with the new seal... How many are you going to pick up?

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Don... Agreed... At least they're not tweeting like with the Chinatown Fultons, which by the way have a new seal... The seal has two chopsticks printed on it and the deck's only selling for $40 with the new seal... How many are you going to pick up?

Exactly zero.  I didn't like the deck much without a seal, so I doubt the seal will make the cards any better.

Them Buck brothers sure do like makin' bucks...I'd wager is someone offered up a stool sample from either of them, someone would be willing to pay big bucks for it.  :))