Author (Read 6783 times)

My Latest Purchase
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:21 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hi guys,

I purchased a deck tonite Called the Bicycle Secret Weapon deck, These were sent to the american troops in Vietnam and in the Gulf War, The ones in vietnam were used to scare off attackers, the lady liberty scared the vietnamese and sometimes caused whole groups of attackers to flee because their cultural beliefs made them think it was bad luck. The ones used in the gulf war were pretty much just a traditional piece.

Here are the ones I got
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Bicycle-Desert-Shield-Ace-Spades-Playing-Cards-Secret-Weapon-57-Cards-/140684623982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c175006e#ht_500wt_1202

I think they are extra special because they are signed by the soilder that had them, Also you can tell these are from vietnam because the aces dont say desert shield on them like the Gulf war ones do. anyway I just thought I`d show you guys these because I think they are really cool.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:32:55 PM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Re: My Latest Purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
There's a lot of history behind that deck (well the actual cards, not that deck exactly). They were used as killing cards and moral boosters for troops as well.

Here's a link if you want to learn more! http://www.psywarrior.com/DeathCardsAce.html
It's interesting stuff
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:59 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Wow that is some awesome information thanks for the link :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:01:12 PM by Aaron »

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
No problem! That (the history) was probably the biggest thing that got me into playing cards. I remember reading about all of the history and then really taking time to appreciate the cards. Then I found all the custom decks! I'm a big fan of art, so combine that with the rich history and I was sold.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I have a book called Joshua Jay`s Amazing Book of cards, and in it has alot of stuff on history of cards there is so much amazing stuff I couldn`t even name half of it, plus there is a bunch of tricks, shuffles, things to do with old cards, and scams with cards, Anyway in the book He talks about these cards that the USPCC sent to German POW camps in medical parcels, when these cards were split apart there was escape maps printed inside the layers of the cards the maps were used in several succesfull escapes. It says the decks are Excedingly rare. anyway to anyone who wants to gain some amazing knowledge about cards I suggest getting this book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joshua-Jays-Amazing-Book-Cards-Tricks-Shuffles-/180801001783?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5805316035052088512#ht_500wt_922
It even comes with an awesome DVD
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:29:43 AM by Aaron »

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »

jriffel

• True Member
When did these "Secret Weapon" cards become rare?  When I bought mine from Mertz a year ago, they were not at all rare, simply an oddity.  The WWII cards are truly very cool.  I have a couple posters of the uncut sheets showing the map and backs.  When I get them framed they will be awesome!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:50:15 PM by jriffel »

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:50:08 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I love a deck with a history! I saw a similar pack of cards on bay from the same seller, I'll try and get them. Definitely a cool addition to any collection!
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I dont think they are neccisarily super rare, I have been looking at these decks to buy for awile and this is the first one I have seen that are the Vietnam ones not the Desert Shield ones. I may have overpaid a bit but I am happy with my purchase. Does your deck say Desert Shield on the aces?

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Wow, I never knew what that deck was for. Every card being the AoS is a forcing deck to me  :P
But that very interesting!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have a book called Joshua Jay`s Amazing Book of cards, and in it has alot of stuff on history of cards there is so much amazing stuff I couldn`t even name half of it, plus there is a bunch of tricks, shuffles, things to do with old cards, and scams with cards, Anyway in the book He talks about these cards that the USPCC sent to German POW camps in medical parcels, when these cards were split apart there was escape maps printed inside the layers of the cards the maps were used in several succesfull escapes. It says the decks are Excedingly rare. anyway to anyone who wants to gain some amazing knowledge about cards I suggest getting this book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Bicycle-Desert-Shield-Ace-Spades-Playing-Cards-Secret-Weapon-57-Cards-/140684623982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c175006e#ht_500wt_1202

You put in the link to the auction, not to the book...

This looks pretty genuine.  The box is aged about what you'd expect from a 40-50 year old deck.  The cards themselves are in surprisingly good shape, but they appear genuine as well - not only do they not have the Desert Shield markings, but they don't have the normal manufacturer codes used on Bicycle Aces of Spades for about a century, which leads me to believe it was at the least a special print run.

This auction lacked the attention a find like this would normally generate, likely due to the seller mislabeling the auction title with the words "Desert Shield".  But there are two caveats to look out for.

1) This guy could try pulling a bait-n-switch, selling you a Desert Shield deck because that's what was in the title.

2) This guy could have used nail polish to remove the "Desert Shield" markings, used aging techniques on the box paper and wrote the autograph himself.

I say this for two reasons - the cards are awfully white to have come from a box that's so yellow, and Vietnam-era Secret Weapon decks are nearly impossible to find, since most of them were used by soldiers in the field.  Examine this - wait -

I just got a really good look at the box.  The deck seal is authentic to the period - an adhesive stamp that needs to be dampened to be applied instead of a sticker as has been used since the '80s, I think.

You may well have laid your hands on the real deal, dude.  It's practically a museum piece, and exceptionally rare; a genuine steal.  It does have one too many aces - the originals came with 56, the standard amount from a single sheet ready to be cut.  The original owner probably got an extra from another SW deck.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

You put in the link to the auction, not to the book...

This looks pretty genuine.  The box is aged about what you'd expect from a 40-50 year old deck.  The cards themselves are in surprisingly good shape, but they appear genuine as well - not only do they not have the Desert Shield markings, but they don't have the normal manufacturer codes used on Bicycle Aces of Spades for about a century, which leads me to believe it was at the least a special print run.

This auction lacked the attention a find like this would normally generate, likely due to the seller mislabeling the auction title with the words "Desert Shield".  But there are two caveats to look out for.

1) This guy could try pulling a bait-n-switch, selling you a Desert Shield deck because that's what was in the title.

2) This guy could have used nail polish to remove the "Desert Shield" markings, used aging techniques on the box paper and wrote the autograph himself.

I say this for two reasons - the cards are awfully white to have come from a box that's so yellow, and Vietnam-era Secret Weapon decks are nearly impossible to find, since most of them were used by soldiers in the field.  Examine this - wait -

I just got a really good look at the box.  The deck seal is authentic to the period - an adhesive stamp that needs to be dampened to be applied instead of a sticker as has been used since the '80s, I think.

You may well have laid your hands on the real deal, dude.  It's practically a museum piece, and exceptionally rare; a genuine steal.  It does have one too many aces - the originals came with 56, the standard amount from a single sheet ready to be cut.  The original owner probably got an extra from another SW deck.
*Facepalm* Ill fix that link up

I am hoping that it is legitimate and I think this guy may not have known what he had, He has good reviews also so I think I am pretty safe, I will post something about it when I get it (probably in 2-3 weeks) I think he put that desert shield in the title to get more search results, how many decks do you see that say Like Ellusionist, Like S&M, Like Blah Blah Blah. But I will see for sure when I get them.

Ok I wrote this part after having a close look at the pictures:
I see that the cards are pretty white, but also it does have that "Lick-On" seal and the seal is off centre a little, I realize that there is no way that I could ever authenticate the signature as I would have to track this guy who signed it down and ask him(if he is even still around). But the cards do look pretty white, maybe they were not used or something, But something suspicous is that in the closer up picture #2 you cannot see a full card close-up and can`t see the place where the desert shield would be(or nail polish residue would be). It could just be that he was trying to take a cool looking picture.

EDIT:
I also noticed that on the newer desert shield decks the boxes have modern blue seals.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:37:18 AM by Aaron »

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm tempted to buy that book - the seller is Goodwill.  My future wife works for Goodwill!

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 01:11:36 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I'm tempted to buy that book - the seller is Goodwill.  My future wife works for Goodwill!
You definatly should there is some awesome stuff in there, make sure the one I posted a link to comes with the DVD I didnt read the description.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Hey guys,

I got the deck today and... It Is A REAL COPY!! :)  This deck has the tax stamp style seal and the box is aged also the cards are aged as well and ZERO signs of nail polish being used!!

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey guys,

I got the deck today and... It Is A REAL COPY!! :)  This deck has the tax stamp style seal and the box is aged also the cards are aged as well and ZERO signs of nail polish being used!!
Wow! Well then, you have a rare deck there! Congrats!  :)

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Hey guys,

Congrats! That's an awesome find! Way to jump on that deal when you found it. That's a one of kind addition to your collection  :D You should put up some pictures if you get the chance

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Wow you've really gotten yourself a good deal then! Those decks are so rare it's almost impossible to find!

I second brown_baggs, post some pictures!

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm glad it was the genuine article and not some cheap forgery.  I'm in agreement - PHOTOS, please!  Put them up in the Vintage Decks topic, too; some of those guys would melt with envy.  :))

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 07:01:12 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
What an unbelievable and sick find... Congratulations... Box seal is correct for the Vietnam Era... the problem with the initial title is the seller states, "Desert Shield" which these seem to have nothing to do with... $20... Wow!!!  You must have really been taking your time looking through eBay... Yet another example of a seller not having any idea what he is sitting on - good for you...  The problem with the Desert Shield reprints is the newer war was not fought in the bush and the Ace of Spades meant something altogether different to the Vietnamese - for them it was a sign of bad luck, also considered to be a death card... Great find...

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
No one thinks it is an evil deck? ::)

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 05:45:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

They did more to boost American troop morale than scare the Viet Cong.  The stories about the VC being afraid of the Ace of Spades or the Lady Liberty in the center were myths.  So no, not evil.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:42 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

They did more to boost American troop morale than scare the Viet Cong.  The stories about the VC being afraid of the Ace of Spades or the Lady Liberty in the center were myths.  So no, not evil.

I said that because I saw some pics on the net, the AoS was put into death body's mouth. I know it was a war and could be judged by normal concepts, but I can not but think of the images in those pics when talking of this deck. ???

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
It'd be horrifying if the deck was once actually used for that purposes.   ???

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

I've studied that a lot and I've heard that is was morale as well as the superstitious tendencies of VC. Don can you cite a reliable source? I'm interested in reading about how it was just a myth.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I've studied that a lot and I've heard that is was morale as well as the superstitious tendencies of VC. Don can you cite a reliable source? I'm interested in reading about how it was just a myth.

This was written by a retired Vietnam vet who worked in PsyOps for the Army.
http://www.psywarrior.com/DeathCardsAce.html

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I will see if I can get some pictures up this weekend. I am staying at my grandmas from today until saturday because my parents are on a holiday and I didnt bring my deck with me :(   And I sure hope this isn`t an evil deck :o :o  I am thinking whoever had the deck either wasn`t in Vietnam long or didn`t use the cards a ton, They have wear and dont fan or handle worth a crap because of it, but they are nor bent or anything. I can`t belive I only payed $20 for it because I was going to buy one of the reprints a couple weeks ago for $25!

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I will see if I can get some pictures up this weekend. I am staying at my grandmas from today until saturday because my parents are on a holiday and I didnt bring my deck with me :(   And I sure hope this isn`t an evil deck :o :o  I am thinking whoever had the deck either wasn`t in Vietnam long or didn`t use the cards a ton, They have wear and dont fan or handle worth a crap because of it, but they are nor bent or anything. I can`t belive I only payed $20 for it because I was going to buy one of the reprints a couple weeks ago for $25!

The deck has wear?  Do the Aces of Spades have serial numbers on them with the letter code?  The ones in the eBay photo didn't, but I'd be interested to know for certain.

The cards shouldn't have any wear on them - in actual use they were practically littered all over the jungle floor and on the enemy casualties.  The cards wouldn't have taken long to begin breaking down and decomposing in that heat and humidity.  In other words, the "used" ones were never meant to come back!

If these are used, since there's not really any practical card games you could play with them, they were probably "deployed" in the field and recollected from wherever they were left.  It would explain why there were extra cards.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:54:05 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

The deck has wear?  Do the Aces of Spades have serial numbers on them with the letter code?  The ones in the eBay photo didn't, but I'd be interested to know for certain.

The cards shouldn't have any wear on them - in actual use they were practically littered all over the jungle floor and on the enemy casualties.  The cards wouldn't have taken long to begin breaking down and decomposing in that heat and humidity.  In other words, the "used" ones were never meant to come back!

If these are used, since there's not really any practical card games you could play with them, they were probably "deployed" in the field and recollected from wherever they were left.  It would explain why there were extra cards.

The Aces do not have serial numbers and the wear isn`t super extravagant but they do feel like a 50ish year old deck

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 01:13:53 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
ya only had like 4 hours when I posted.

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 01:29:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

D'OH!

Perhaps you should have mentioned that when you first posted...

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

D'OH!

Perhaps you should have mentioned that when you first posted...
I though I had I must be going crazy ::)