CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
David Blaine posted this on his twitter today

"The last of the white lions"

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: NEW DECK - DB White Lions: Black Label
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
(mouth is watering).......
- Adam

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Finally! But I highly suspect that they would not be for regular sale.

On a side note, doesn't the imp in the background look like the Imp on dnd's t-shirt?

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Apparently I missed a detail on these. I thought that they all had the embossing on  the tuck cases, but that seems to not be the case. Is that what the whole black label thing is about? All the pics I ever saw of the deck had the emboss, so I thought that was the general release.

As it stands, we believe that the Black Label is a Series B deck design with metallic silver ink.  The embossing on the regular "B" decks was on the title, whereas the Black Label has it there and on the lion face.  (Or we could be all wrong and "Black Label" is simply the black version of this deck!)  Either way, both cases have the title embossing because without it, there's no name brand on the box.

If I was guessing, I'd say this deck will hit the market the same time as the silver Split Spades Lions.  I'm just hoping they don't pull an "AIP" situation and make this deck part of a very expensive package or some such nonsense.

I'm going to move the posts dealing with Black Label to the topic for Black Label - or make one if one doesn't already exist.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:03:15 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
a guy i know on facebook got given a deck before the white lions v2 was out the back of the box looks matalic silver

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Apparently I missed a detail on these. I thought that they all had the embossing on  the tuck cases, but that seems to not be the case. Is that what the whole black label thing is about? All the pics I ever saw of the deck had the emboss, so I thought that was the general release.

As it stands, we believe that the Black Label is a Series B deck design with metallic silver ink.  The embossing on the regular "B" decks was on the title, whereas the Black Label has it there and on the lion face.  (Or we could be all wrong and "Black Label" is simply the black version of this deck!)  Either way, both cases have the title embossing because without it, there's no name brand on the box.

If I was guessing, I'd say this deck will hit the market the same time as the silver Split Spades Lions.  I'm just hoping they don't pull an "AIP" situation and make this deck part of a very expensive package or some such nonsense.

I'm going to move the posts dealing with Black Label to the topic for Black Label - or make one if one doesn't already exist.
I think you got them mixed up. I think the black label is just the white lions series 'B' in black and the metallic silver ones you are talking about are the split spades silver edition.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

On a side note, doesn't the imp in the background look like the Imp on dnd's t-shirt?

No that isn't the imp, it's from one of DB posters
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 04:00:10 AM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music

Yeah I know. But it looks like :)

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:05 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Yeah I know. But it looks like :)

Ok :) lol
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think you got them mixed up. I think the black label is just the white lions series 'B' in black and the metallic silver ones you are talking about are the split spades silver edition.

In truth, it's suspected based on photographs that BOTH decks are metallic silver.  But until someone has the actual product in their hands, we won't know.

White lions "Black Label"
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Waddap, it's John bringing you the latest and greatest david blaine news!

http://shop.davidblaine.com/blogs/news/6644502-black-label-white-lions-coming-10-1-12
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

Re: White lions "Black Label"
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
Shit... inb4someonesaysathreadonthisexsistsalready

Don, do me a favor please, combine this with the other black label thread and update cbjs OP
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don, do me a favor please, combine this with the other black label thread and update cbjs OP

What is "cbjs OP?"  CBJ's old "Upcoming Decks" post has been replaced by the New Deck Report, a sticky topic at the top of the Plethora.

I'm merging the topics now.

EDIT: OK, done.  I can see how you missed the old topic - it was pretty far down the list, no posts in 15 days.

At least we all now know that "Black Label" is simply the black version of White Lions, no metallic ink on the cards.  It doesn't surprise me, since Blaine's never used metallic inks to date and unless you use Magic Finish (which he never has thus far), such inks degrade performance.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:35:32 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer

What is "cbjs OP?"  CBJ's old "Upcoming Decks" post has been replaced by the New Deck Report, a sticky topic at the top of the Plethora.

I'm merging the topics now.

EDIT: OK, done.  I can see how you missed the old topic - it was pretty far down the list, no posts in 15 days.

At least we all now know that "Black Label" is simply the black version of White Lions, no metallic ink on the cards.  It doesn't surprise me, since Blaine's never used metallic inks to date and unless you use Magic Finish (which he never has thus far), such inks degrade performance.

OP means Original Post. Also as i hit "Post" i thought to myself, "Wait... why has no one made a topic on this yet". Then i face palmed :P

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, now that that's over with, John - what do you think of the deck, now that we know it's black and not metallic silver?

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I know this is just a color change but I have been highly anticipating these since I found out they existed...

There has been allot of hate in general from card collectors about color changes lately. If most collectors enjoy a partial brand or deck of cards, I don't have a problem with it. As long as its not overdone to the point it hurts the brand. I defiantly think if Blaine Productions plans on continuing the White Lions they have to come up with some extensive changes to the card design for 2013 or end production. For now though, I'm happy to get my hands on these.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:26:33 AM by The Legacy »

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
Well, now that that's over with, John - what do you think of the deck, now that we know it's black and not metallic silver?

Not really impressed to be honest. It's just a simple color change after all. I'm not getting any because i was extremely disappointed with the quality control on the red decks and i fear that same quality control will be on the black decks. What about you Don? What is your opinion, and are you getting any?

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm going to pass on these too. I don't feel that I need to have ALL of the White Lions decks. Plus, there are just so many decks coming out.

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I know this is just a color change but I have been highly anticipating these since I found out they existed...

There has been allot of hate in general from card collectors about color changes lately. If most collectors enjoy a partial brand or deck of cards, I don't have a problem with it. As long as its not overdone to the point it hurts the brand. I defiantly think if Blaine Productions plans on continuing the White Lions they have to come up with some extensive changes to the card design for 2013 or end production. For now though, I'm happy to get my hands on these.

You "defiantly" think so?  Now that's a man with conviction!  :))

I could picture some changes to the White Lions set - or possibly a return to the Split Spades Lions, arguably one of his most popular lines.  There's is a Silver Edition of the SS Lions coming soon, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

And yes, color changes have gotten a lot of complaints.  Lazy color changes pushed as new versions months if not years apart are indeed ridiculous and show a lack of imagination.  New colors introduced near the release date of others in the set, not so much.  Before the White Lions, ALL Blaine decks came in red, blue and black with the exception of the Bee decks, which were black and inverse black.  I'm thinking it was a "by popular demand" kind of thing.

Not really impressed to be honest. It's just a simple color change after all. I'm not getting any because i was extremely disappointed with the quality control on the red decks and i fear that same quality control will be on the black decks. What about you Don? What is your opinion, and are you getting any?

I plan to.  I didn't experience any problems with the decks I've opened so far - and the one time I did have a problem, it led to me meeting David himself!  :))

In this case, I like having the third color.  I enjoy the Blaine decks a lot and would enjoy having the black WLs as well.

I'm going to pass on these too. I don't feel that I need to have ALL of the White Lions decks. Plus, there are just so many decks coming out.

I can relate to you on the "so many decks, so little cash" front, but I've been trimming elsewhere.  But if you don't feel a need for a third color of WLs, more power to you - it's a show of self-control, that you own your hobby and not the other way around!

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 02:07:42 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i was one click away from buying haha but i thought about it i knew i was just getting them to get them i have 38 decks of white lions already i love them there my new favorite deck but i use a deck to death the only deck i think i have ever opened 2 of is stranded bike decks so i don't think ill be burning through this 38 decks anytime soon i gotta take control of this haha now i have resisted buying another deck =D although since this is my new favouret deck ill trade other decks for any of the white lion v2s pm if any one has any colour for trade ^^

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 03:26:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
i was one click away from buying haha but i thought about it i knew i was just getting them to get them i have 38 decks of white lions already i love them there my new favorite deck but i use a deck to death the only deck i think i have ever opened 2 of is stranded bike decks so i don't think ill be burning through this 38 decks anytime soon i gotta take control of this haha now i have resisted buying another deck =D although since this is my new favouret deck ill trade other decks for any of the white lion v2s pm if any one has any colour for trade ^^

I can honestly say that I've never "stranded" any of my Bicycle decks...beyond that, I don't completely understand what the hell you're saying!  Not that this isn't the norm for you...  :))

Did anyone bring a "Zaganh to English" dictionary?  Is there an app for that?  :)) :))

Kidding aside, it's good that, like Evan, you know when you feel that enough is enough.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

I can honestly say that I've never "stranded" any of my Bicycle decks...beyond that, I don't completely understand what the hell you're saying!  Not that this isn't the norm for you...  :))

Did anyone bring a "Zaganh to English" dictionary?  Is there an app for that?  :)) :))

Kidding aside, it's good that, like Evan, you know when you feel that enough is enough.

I believe he is saying he has only opened 2 of are standard bicycle decks. So with all of his white lions, he believes he is stocked up on them.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 10:47:25 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular
It's somewhat stupid and suspicious that big companies like D&D or David Blaine aren't able to use the same low shipping quotes that of people from eBay or Kickstarter. Note that we're talking about the SAME shipping method, which is, in my case, USPS Priority Mail International.

You know that something is wrong when it's cheaper to buy from resellers on eBay than from a pre-sale on a official website. Even though resellers' product prices may be a little higher, their total price (products + shipping) is lower.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It's somewhat stupid and suspicious that big companies like D&D or David Blaine aren't able to use the same low shipping quotes that of people from eBay or Kickstarter. Note that we're talking about the SAME shipping method, which is, in my case, USPS Priority Mail International.

You know that something is wrong when it's cheaper to buy from resellers on eBay than from a pre-sale on a official website. Even though resellers' product prices may be a little higher, their total price (products + shipping) is lower.

I agree, and think it's in very poor taste to charge so much for shipping. It's certainly OK to add a little for your shipping materials and handling time, but that should not add up to what we often see from these big name stores.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
I  do feel cheated when DB just keeps increasing the shipping cost. It was $10 for Blue white lions, $15 for Red ones and now $19 for the black label??? And i live an hour away from their office, if they keep increase the shipping price i expect DB to deliver my cards in person :)

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

Cardist888

Do u guys think tat db will make a double deal on this deck cause i dont want to order today. Ive already ordered somthin today so cant this week.
Btw shipping for me costed 8$ for 2 decks and i live like 30 mins from there warehouse

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I agree, and think it's in very poor taste to charge so much for shipping. It's certainly OK to add a little for your shipping materials and handling time, but that should not add up to what we often see from these big name stores.

I  do feel cheated when DB just keeps increasing the shipping cost. It was $10 for Blue white lions, $15 for Red ones and now $19 for the black label??? And i live an hour away from their office, if they keep increase the shipping price i expect DB to deliver my cards in person :)

Allow me to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

Until recently, D. Blaine Productions did all their shipping from their downtown office.  The warehouse is relatively new.  That means the cost includes not just the cost of the mail and packaging, but there's the cost of the warehouse rent, the payroll for the shipping department...and they don't get the volume discounts that companies like Amazon get because they don't deal in the volume that Amazon does.

Kickstarter projects are usually one or two people inviting all their friends and family over for pizza and packing, so there's no warehouse rent, payrolls, health insurance, etc.

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:05 AM »

jhayel84

• True Member
Just wondering why the DB White Lions: Black Label are expensive than the previous series B decks? is it because what Don has said regarding the change of warehouse?

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 08:01:16 AM »

securechanger

Again and Again the shipping cost problem.

I will waiting another release may be Gold Label ? Silver Label ? Or may be NO LABEL :D

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
haha sorry my spelling just gets worse each day ><
yeah john b i only have opned one deck of each diffrent deck i have out of the 30 chinatown i have only 1 is open so getting more than 38 of this deck would useless the only deck i opned a few of is bike decks
also i prefer to take the seal sticker of these white lions i love the sticker but think it looks better without it was a bit of a kuffuffle to remove but now its off the deck is smooth and perfect like it was never there

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
yeah john b i only have opned one deck of each diffrent deck i have out of the 30 chinatown i have only 1 is open so getting more than 38 of this deck would useless the only deck i opned a few of is bike decks
also i prefer to take the seal sticker of these white lions i love the sticker but think it looks better without it was a bit of a kuffuffle to remove but now its off the deck is smooth and perfect like it was never there

You do realize there's a very cool trick that you can do with the deck seal on White Lions decks?  A trick that doesn't work with the Series B and Black Label decks when you remove it?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:10:21 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

You do realize there's a very cool trick that you can do with the deck seal on White Lions decks?  A trick that doesn't work with the Series B and Black Label decks when you remove it?

wow really what it is it ? ^^ i might have to stick it back on

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Are you sure Don? There is something printed under the seal on the series B deck (or am I thinking of something else entirely?).
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Are you sure Don? There is something printed under the seal on the series B deck (or am I thinking of something else entirely?).

It says exactly the same thing it said under the seals of the Series A decks.  David used it on me in a mentalism trick which was very cool...  You can even SEE what it says in Zaganh's photo, since he removed his seal completely!

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 02:37:35 AM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
thought everyone had seen these pics but don said you hadnt haha i saw them ages ago before the series blue white lions came out a friend of mine on facebook had a prblem when thos exspensive card clips came out he bought one and it was late somthing like that anyway blaine sent him a deck of silver split spades and black sticker series b white lions and this was before the blue series was even out

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »

jhayel84

• True Member
I finally received my WL Black Label Deck! The tuck box looks good. The cards are the same except for the color but who cares it's a DB's deck!

The Black Label is a bit special than the series B blue and red coz its a bit more expensive by $1!  ;) In reference to what Don has said DB has increased the price to cover their expenses on their new warehouse