Improvements

Author (Read 14941 times)

Improvements
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Just a quick note to all the users.

We've been having problems with the captcha breaking down - Lee informs me that this is resolved.  He's also added Tapatalk to the forum's capabilities, so now we're completely mobile-friendly!

Questions?  Comments?  Fire away!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Improvements
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 01:51:40 AM »

Kevin Dixler

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

• Facebook:
Just that I'd like to post photos on the fly without having to edit their size before posting.  It tends to inhibit people from using the forum by making FB easier. That said, it would be helpful for the less tech saavy folks if we helped some members with Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

The hobby can gain attention if more knew about it.  My hope is that there can be a PSA well in advance of the Convention, so that the Cleveland media can get up to speed on it.  Perhaps, we can do a publicity stunt by finding decks among us to donate to the Rock n' Roll Museum if it has an interest in placing the decks in appropriate exhibits.  Perhaps, there are a lot of traders, but I traded in a different era, where collectors worked with others to help complete categories that other members may have found more interesting.

That said, I'm finding myself buying too much that I might be better off trading at the Convention.  Does anyone else have an interest in whisk(e)y, bourbon, spirits, etc. cards?  Does anyone have a lot of dupes in this area whom others know, so that I can contact them?  I have other thoughts, but I'd love to encourage people new to playing cards.

That is, I wouldn't mind putting together packets and coming up with a novel approach to encourage newbies to trade and join.  After searching old copies of the CPCC Bulletin, I noticed that Barb Lunaburg did a lot of recruiting.  If anyone wants to work on a PSA and approach the media, among others to see if we can get a lot of good press on Yelp! or other online media, then I'd be happy to see what I can do to collaborate.

Re: Improvements and pre-convention publicity.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 01:25:05 AM »

andrew daugherty

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Kevin, I will have some alcohol-related decks and singles at the convention. I’m always interested in more. You’ll be able to buy, sell or trade singles and decks.

To you and our leaders about convention publicity, a few suggestions. Yes, this rambles a bit. There are some good, specific, easy-to-accomplish ideas here with local TV the week of the convention and with other local and social media before and during it.

The group had a nice response from a TV news feature reporter in Orlando a few years ago. That segment from WOFL Fox 35 may still be linked on the club website. It’s a great example.

Start with an email to specific Cleveland TV feature reporters and their show producers. Contact information should be on stations’ websites or call the switchboards and ask for their emails.

Journalists appreciate brief, specific, to-the-point emails to start. Ask if you may follow up with a phone call at a later time that’s best in the weeks or days before the convention.

WJW Fox 8, WOIO (CBS), WEWS (ABC) and WKYC (NBC) each do lengthy morning news programs and daily “lifestyle” shows eager for swift and engaging content. The more we help reporters and producers with an interesting hook, supporting visuals and lively interviews, the more likely they will want to do segments with us. Be prepared to get up early for morning news live shots (4:30-10 a.m.) or go to the studio.

In any pitch, make promises (teases in TV talk) that catch reporters’ and producers’ attention. In turn, these may show up on the air.

“That solitaire app on your phone started with these. Look at these eye-catching designs.”
“The item buried in your junk drawer that’s a work of art — and maybe worth some money.”
“54 works of art for your next card game.”

Have plenty of decks to see, perhaps cardistry moves to share and anything visual and interactive for at least six, two-minute live, remote segments or one, three-minute segment in studio.

Interactivity and one point per segment are key, plus the reporter can use the visual material for social media slideshows on the station’s website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. These segments generate page views after they air, especially as viewers seek the time, date and place for the convention. Ask that station web and social media posts link to the club website, which, in turn, should have the pertinent convention information front and center on the homepage before a segment airs. Don’t make viewers hunt for it. They also will want to know if they may bring cards to the convention for members to examine or buy — and if there’s an admission fee.

Link any current TV segments on the club site as soon as they are posted by the station. Send a link to Card Culture subscribers in a special email and post to this site soonest, too.

From last year’s convention, it was obvious our deck designer members can explain their card designs and their meanings and nuances succinctly. That makes them good interviews with a bIt of prep,

Why does that back design symbolize wood and paper? Show me and explain in a 20-second answer. What attracted a 20-something person to design and publish analog playing cards in a digital age? How has crowd-funding jumpstarted interest in cards as a collectible art form?

In general, show a viewer why and how our hobby goes well beyond the Bicycle Rider Back or grandma’s bridge decks. Focus on the “new and now” first, then some of the cool history or older decks.

The original and colorful art especially in the “custom” and crowd-funded decks, new mass-produced specialty decks such as Emoji, Fire, Stargazer, Craft Beer, Zombie, Tattoo and Sharks (to name a few widely available examples and not just USPC); advertising decks, pinups (Is that really Betty White on that card?); decks with Cleveland themes, unusual jokers and old/new transformations are a few more visual suggestions.

Do whatever we can to make a viewer look at the screen, say “I didn’t know that,” and “That’s really cool,” and become eager to learn more about the cards she or he probably never gave a second thought about — beyond a simple card game. Mention how easily cards of all sorts are available — and that it’s an affordable hobby.

TV is best for the week of the convention. Stations rarely want to do anything that’s too far in the future. Viewers will forget.

Pre-convention publicity is easier from other forms of media locally and otherwise.

Use these ideas and others to pitch NPR stations in Cleveland and nearby Kent, plus print media or alternative weeklies. They will appreciate visuals for digital coverage or maybe want to do videos and podcasts beyond the traditional print or radio stories,

A special, email blast to Card Culture subscribers asking them to share a convention graphic on their own social media now and in repeat blasts closer to October is another idea. Take advantage of that subscriber list! Pages 7-10 of the current Card Culture could be easily adapted.

Members on Pinterest or Facebook’s various card groups can post it there. (I posted images and convention information on Playing Card Collectors, Bicycle Collectors and Joker Collectors FB pages to start. It includes personal photos from last year in Erlanger. Hope that is okay.)

A post on Cleveland, Akron and Kent Craigslists the week of the convention can’t hurt. A calendar listing can be emailed now to the local convention and visitors bureaus, Ohio state tourism, to Antiques Weekly and similar entities. Don’t forget notifications and a convention graphic to ACBL for its website and social media. Email any Cleveland area bridge clubs. Maybe any of the poker players’ magazines would be interested in a feature or a calendar listing.

Club members will have additional suggestions to boost interest via other outlets and forms of social media.

Chris Turner
Jeffersonville, Ind, (Louisville, Ky. area)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:23:04 AM by andrew daugherty »

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:55:26 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Great ideas Chris. I've sent you an email. Let's continue the convo and work on some of these!

Lee

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:41:15 AM »

Kevin Dixler

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

• Facebook:
I do know Jeffersonville.  It's the home of a well loved candy store.  I thought Huber's Starlight Distillery was in Jeffersonville, but it seems like its in Borden.  I will be bringing my beer and whisky cards for trade and sale along with others for reference.  I also collect pinups, tobacco and some other areas depending upon trade interest.  I have quite a few singles in many areas to trade.  I have a rather large pile of jokers with some decks for both trade and sale, as well.

I spoke to Barb Lunaburg, who I vaguely recall from when I was last trading in the seventies.  I have a few Convention books from the mid 1950s for the CPCC along with montly mailings from both the PCCA and the CPCC for review.  It should be interesting.  Hopefully, the Chicago people, along with some from Indiana can continue to meet, when possible, once the dust clears. 

BTW, do you have any of these Four Roses cards?

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:21:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I spoke to Barb Lunaburg, who I vaguely recall from when I was last trading in the seventies.  I have a few Convention books from the mid 1950s for the CPCC along with montly mailings from both the PCCA and the CPCC for review.  It should be interesting.  Hopefully, the Chicago people, along with some from Indiana can continue to meet, when possible, once the dust clears.

There's no reason why smaller club-related regional gatherings can't take place.  I recall one in New York a few years back, while Tom Dawson was still with us, to visit Columbia University and see a portion of their Field collection of playing cards, much of which dated back hundreds of years.  I would encourage the old CPCC members to continue having local get-togethers among themselves and to invite some of us newer folks along for the fun and festivities.  I'm certain that Lee Asher and Paul Bostock, if given enough advance notice, would be happy to promote such events in the club publications they edit.  Paul edits CLEAR THE DECKS, a print quarterly mailed to all the membership, while Lee edits CARD CULTURE, a monthly digital magazine.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:11:42 AM »

Kevin Dixler

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

• Facebook:
Barbara moved to Georgia quite some time ago, so I’d have to discuss it in October if there is anyone interested.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:12:09 AM »

Kevin Dixler

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer

• Facebook:
Kevin, I will have some alcohol-related decks and singles at the convention. I’m always interested in more. You’ll be able to buy, sell or trade singles and decks.

To you and our leaders about convention publicity, a few suggestions. Yes, this rambles a bit. There are some good, specific, easy-to-accomplish ideas here with local TV the week of the convention and with other local and social media before and during it.

The group had a nice response from a TV news feature reporter in Orlando a few years ago. That segment from WOFL Fox 35 may still be linked on the club website. It’s a great example.

Start with an email to specific Cleveland TV feature reporters and their show producers. Contact information should be on stations’ websites or call the switchboards and ask for their emails.

Journalists appreciate brief, specific, to-the-point emails to start. Ask if you may follow up with a phone call at a later time that’s best in the weeks or days before the convention.

WJW Fox 8, WOIO (CBS), WEWS (ABC) and WKYC (NBC) each do lengthy morning news programs and daily “lifestyle” shows eager for swift and engaging content. The more we help reporters and producers with an interesting hook, supporting visuals and lively interviews, the more likely they will want to do segments with us. Be prepared to get up early for morning news live shots (4:30-10 a.m.) or go to the studio.

In any pitch, make promises (teases in TV talk) that catch reporters’ and producers’ attention. In turn, these may show up on the air.

“That solitaire app on your phone started with these. Look at these eye-catching designs.”
“The item buried in your junk drawer that’s a work of art — and maybe worth some money.”
“54 works of art for your next card game.”

Have plenty of decks to see, perhaps cardistry moves to share and anything visual and interactive for at least six, two-minute live, remote segments or one, three-minute segment in studio.

Interactivity and one point per segment are key, plus the reporter can use the visual material for social media slideshows on the station’s website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. These segments generate page views after they air, especially as viewers seek the time, date and place for the convention. Ask that station web and social media posts link to the club website, which, in turn, should have the pertinent convention information front and center on the homepage before a segment airs. Don’t make viewers hunt for it. They also will want to know if they may bring cards to the convention for members to examine or buy — and if there’s an admission fee.

Link any current TV segments on the club site as soon as they are posted by the station. Send a link to Card Culture subscribers in a special email and post to this site soonest, too.

From last year’s convention, it was obvious our deck designer members can explain their card designs and their meanings and nuances succinctly. That makes them good interviews with a bIt of prep,

Why does that back design symbolize wood and paper? Show me and explain in a 20-second answer. What attracted a 20-something person to design and publish analog playing cards in a digital age? How has crowd-funding jumpstarted interest in cards as a collectible art form?

In general, show a viewer why and how our hobby goes well beyond the Bicycle Rider Back or grandma’s bridge decks. Focus on the “new and now” first, then some of the cool history or older decks.

The original and colorful art especially in the “custom” and crowd-funded decks, new mass-produced specialty decks such as Emoji, Fire, Stargazer, Craft Beer, Zombie, Tattoo and Sharks (to name a few widely available examples and not just USPC); advertising decks, pinups (Is that really Betty White on that card?); decks with Cleveland themes, unusual jokers and old/new transformations are a few more visual suggestions.

Do whatever we can to make a viewer look at the screen, say “I didn’t know that,” and “That’s really cool,” and become eager to learn more about the cards she or he probably never gave a second thought about — beyond a simple card game. Mention how easily cards of all sorts are available — and that it’s an affordable hobby.

TV is best for the week of the convention. Stations rarely want to do anything that’s too far in the future. Viewers will forget.

Pre-convention publicity is easier from other forms of media locally and otherwise.

Use these ideas and others to pitch NPR stations in Cleveland and nearby Kent, plus print media or alternative weeklies. They will appreciate visuals for digital coverage or maybe want to do videos and podcasts beyond the traditional print or radio stories,

A special, email blast to Card Culture subscribers asking them to share a convention graphic on their own social media now and in repeat blasts closer to October is another idea. Take advantage of that subscriber list! Pages 7-10 of the current Card Culture could be easily adapted.

Members on Pinterest or Facebook’s various card groups can post it there. (I posted images and convention information on Playing Card Collectors, Bicycle Collectors and Joker Collectors FB pages to start. It includes personal photos from last year in Erlanger. Hope that is okay.)

A post on Cleveland, Akron and Kent Craigslists the week of the convention can’t hurt. A calendar listing can be emailed now to the local convention and visitors bureaus, Ohio state tourism, to Antiques Weekly and similar entities. Don’t forget notifications and a convention graphic to ACBL for its website and social media. Email any Cleveland area bridge clubs. Maybe any of the poker players’ magazines would be interested in a feature or a calendar listing.

Club members will have additional suggestions to boost interest via other outlets and forms of social media.

Chris Turner
Jeffersonville, Ind, (Louisville, Ky. area)

Did you see my post.  I will have at least fifty spirits decks and maybe 100 dupes in that category, but many others.  I had an idea to encourage younger kids to visit the event on Saturday, among other days.  We could offer a packet of 25 singles to the first 25 kids who show up with a reserve of 50, among other options.  It was the young who really encouraged the growth of the hobby in the 1950s.  I'd put up 5 -7 decks to see that happen. I'll email Barb to see if any other collectors are interested in organizing the packets if this is something that might be worth pursuing to encourage them to trade what they don't like to get more from some of us.