You are Here:
Decks holding there value?

Author (Read 1302 times)

Decks holding there value?
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »

Crazy Gizmo

This maybe a dumb question, already been asked but ill take my chances LOL
so we all know that special, limited, numbered and/or signed decks generally are worth more from the start. How do we know if a deck is going to truly hold it's value?
obliviously certain decks will always hold value like first editions will always be worth more than there followers.
Yes Designer, manufacturer, color, card stock & subject matter play an important role.

Are decks really valued on desirability & accessibility?
I guess every deck is worth what your willing to pay for it!!

Re: Decks holding there value?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:00:49 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
How do we know if a deck is going to truly hold it's value?

Not a dumb question at all, really. The answer is short, sweet and to the point from my experience. We don't because it won't. It's a deck of, this is an important distinction, Modern Playing Cards. Collect because you love them, never for monetary value, gains or otherwise.

Are decks really valued on desirability & accessibility?

There is rare and there's rare. With exception of very few decks, Modern playing cards never fit into the second category. There's just too many of them. It used to be that a print run of 5000 was limited. 2500 was "ZOMG these are going to be in demand!". Now we see so many Kickstarters with 1000 limited and several with 500 limited, what's rare anymore? I'll tell you. The 3 in the world of a certain vintage deck, that's what. Modern playing cards are everywhere.

Maybe what drives up the aftermarket price with modern playing cards from what I've noticed is popularity to fanboys in most cases. Watch their trends and you can pick up some stuff as an investment I guess.

I guess every deck is worth what your willing to pay for it!!

You are absolutely right! Every deck is what a person is willing to pay for it. I hope you're not looking at playing cards as though it could be something to invest in. That would be a horrible idea. Bonds are much better.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:51 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Couldn't agree more across the board Fess :)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 04:26:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Never, ever get into buying modern decks with the intent of somehow investing in them to increase your returns.

Fess is right on all counts - with so many decks being rare, there's few that people genuinely get excited over any more.  I constantly have to remind designers that RARE and UNIQUE are not synonymous with GOOD (and on the same theme, they're not synonymous with VALUABLE, either).  I make rare and unique things every time I go to the bathroom in the morning - no one's lining up to buy them!

Buy what makes you happy.  Period.  End of story.  Doing otherwise is a fool's errand.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »

Crazy Gizmo

Very true guys! Yeah no way i would ever get into cards to gain monetary value cause i could never drive myself far enough to sell any i treasure each and every one as equal no matter the cost

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

Bucky

• Newcomer
I collect because I like the art and because honestly collecting things is almost a compulsion sometimes.

That being said, seeing a deck I just got going for 10x what I paid is fun but also the rare exception and that price won't stay there. These weird demands ebb and flow with so many factors.

I still have a deck or two I wish I'd thrown up on eBay when they were at their peak. Oh well, love them anyways because they are my preciouses.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:03:07 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Similar to what a lot of others have already said, your best bet is to collect what you like and enjoy. If you're trying to collect something in hopes of it holding their value or going up, it's a futile game.

The problem is short of a few certain things in this world, when push comes to shove and you've got to unload it, you'll seldom ever get the value you want for it. This is more so for modern deck where the market is uncertain and unstable. At least with antique and vintage decks, being that old, at least there's a more of a certainty, but again, it's not guarantee.

Buy what you like and love and be happy with that. I think it'd make collecting a lot easier.