You are Here:
cost of cards and shipping

Author (Read 767 times)

cost of cards and shipping
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:15:08 AM »

chisairi

• Forum Regular
do you prefer higher product cost or higher shipping cost or half half?
 some companies would set MSRP of the card a bit higher to cover for cheaper shipping

for example if all the companies wants 20 dollars for this exact same product

company A charges
$10 deck
$10 shipping

company B charges
$11 deck
$9 shipping

company C charges
$9 deck
$11 shipping

You are spending the exact same amount buying the exact same thing.
which one of the above is more appealing to you or you feel that has more value?

Re: cost of cards and shipping
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:19 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
i would have to look at the seller and opt for the seller offering the lower shipping cost just on principle...meaning, 9 times out of 10 those charging less for the product but "Hiding' some profit in the shipping costs seem to be trying to deceive you. That being said, I tend to be a loyal buyer, if I find a seller who is being straight forward and I can communicate with, I'll be willing to pay a little more because their making the effort.

Of course you need to make sure the variables are all the same from each seller, location, shipping method, etc...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:50:57 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:42:09 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Too many people underestimate the cost of shipping and get sticker shock when they see such a high shipping price.  Packaging, labeling, labor, gas and the postage itself all contribute to shipping.  But at first glance, I am attracted to the $11 deck, $9 shipping.  Your other option of course is $20 shipping included.  But for MSRP on the deck, to me $11 looks better when comparing to shipping, but I don't want to pay $11 for a deck.  I'd rather pay $9 which psychologically seems significantly cheaper.
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
 :(
Too many people underestimate the cost of shipping and get sticker shock when they see such a high shipping price.  Packaging, labeling, labor, gas and the postage itself all contribute to shipping.  But at first glance, I am attracted to the $11 deck, $9 shipping.  Your other option of course is $20 shipping included.  But for MSRP on the deck, to me $11 looks better when comparing to shipping, but I don't want to pay $11 for a deck.  I'd rather pay $9 which psychologically seems significantly cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't want shipping ever to be more than the actual product I'm having shipped.

To confirm what alex said I make it a point to leave the shipping price on the label when I ship a deck just so all the people that slander me for trying to steal from them with high shipping prices really realize that they are infact the ones stealing from me... kindof... :)
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I prefer buying from the company that's charging a real shipping cost, and not simply trying to hide a price increase/profit grab behind shipping charges.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I'll be doing the same thing that Jackson has done with the Fed 52's shipping...showing the actual cost of shipping (which is required anyway for International orders). 

When you combine shipping materials and shipping costs...it's expensive..even domestically. I'm expecting to be hit hard with shipping costs when I start shipping out the Whispering Imps™ next month.   

I agree, I wouldn't want to pay more for shipping than the actual cost of product.  At first with my Kickstarter I did not offer one deck pledges for international orders because the cost of shipping one deck was more than the price of one deck.  Only after receiving many messages asking for one deck international orders did I add it as a pledge...1 deck w/ free international shipping for $20. 

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
In this scenario, I would say go with the lower deck cost. typically shipping multiples does not double shipping. In the long run you would save if buying more than 1. If your only buying 1- then it really doesn't matter. $20 is $20
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:40:26 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I'm also in the boat that prefers shipping to be priced at the actual shipping cost. If I'm buying a deck that is slightly less expensive, let it be so. I think high shipping costs put me off more than high product prices.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I would go for cheaper shipping, because marketing works on me. Simply stated. An $11 deck is surely higher quality than a $9 deck, isn't it?  :-)  As much as I hate to admit it, that's the way that my mind works sometimes.