You are Here:
Kingdoms of Erden by Tim Olinger (KS)(combined topic)

Author (Read 5304 times)

« on: March 04, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

Re: Kingdoms of Erden: Playing Cards. The Red book (KS)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »

BastianBJ

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:
This is usually not my style at all, but... I really like these cards! Haven't pledged for a Kickstarter deck forever, but I'm considering backing this one. I am a little sceptical about the economic site of things though... I just went through all of the pledge options, and many of them are actually pretty cheap compared to other Kickstarter projects.

4 decks, $9 each
6 decks, $8 each
8 decks, $7 each
10 decks, $6 each
12 decks, $5 each

Also, 100 early birds for as many decks you want for $10 each.
The goal is $6,000 and will be printed by USPCC. I am a little unsure about this

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If they're not at least partially self-funding this, it's in serious trouble if it hits goal by a small margin.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
The sizes shown actually looks a little weird. If that is a scaled representation of the card, then i think the cards look a little too wide. It feels the borders are thick and with quite a lot of white space. The scale of the courts also looks weird, if you compare say QoH with the JoC or KoC (leaves).

Just feels a lot of tweaking needs to be done.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
PurpleIce - I think your right.  He needs to move the Heart indexes down a bit to be consistent with the other suit indexes.  He also needs to quickly fix the obvious errors with the AoH and 10oH. I read the comments section and no one has pointed it out yet.  He might lose backers with those errors...

I do like the top right cornor badges of the cards.  It's different and goes with the theme...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:31:33 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I am unsure about this simply because he messaged me and asked me about Bicycle branded pricing after he launched. I realize this isn't Bicycle branding but it makes me think he hasn't even reached out to USPCC yet.

Also this under Risks and Challenges:

Sending decks in ziplock bags inside of padded envelopes or boxes will help insure that the product gets to the customer in mint condition.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:42:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The sizes shown actually looks a little weird. If that is a scaled representation of the card, then i think the cards look a little too wide. It feels the borders are thick and with quite a lot of white space. The scale of the courts also looks weird, if you compare say QoH with the JoC or KoC (leaves).

Just feels a lot of tweaking needs to be done.

The heights are different intentionally.  Diamonds appear to be good humans, hearts are bad humans, clubs are tall elves and spades are short dwarves.

PurpleIce - I think your right.  He needs to move the Heart indexes down a bit to be consistent with the other suit indexes.  He also needs to quickly fix the obvious errors with the AoH and 10oH. I read the comments section and no one has pointed it out yet.  He might lose backers with those errors...

I do like the top right cornor badges of the cards.  It's different and goes with the theme...

Good catch on the error, and the border detail is nice in that it varies with the suit - but it's bad for the same reason if you use these as playing cards.  It can act as a giveaway to what suit the top card in your hand is if you aren't careful about how you hold these.

I am unsure about this simply because he messaged me and asked me about Bicycle branded pricing after he launched. I realize this isn't Bicycle branding but it makes me think he hasn't even reached out to USPCC yet.

Also this under Risks and Challenges:

Sending decks in ziplock bags inside of padded envelopes or boxes will help insure that the product gets to the customer in mint condition.

OK, it's official - this creator has NO CLUE what he's in for if he doesn't stop now and retool his project.  He needs at least double or more of what his present goal is.  I really doubt he's contact USPC for anything about this.  And shipping in ZIPLOCK BAGS?  They aren't even approved by the Postal Service for packaging material!

Scott, you should try to warn this guy.  If he's coming to you for advice, he's probably more likely to listen to you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:47:36 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
USPCC printed if $15000 goal is reached. If not printed by Gambler's warehouse

This project is a follow up from the first try. Thread can be found here http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/kingdoms-of-erden-playing-cards-the-red-book-(ks)/msg93657/#msg93657

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835206317/kingdoms-of-erden-fantasy-playing-cards-bicycle-us

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:47:14 PM by Rob Wright »

Re: Kingdoms of Erden Fantasy Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

Kingdoms of Erden

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
Hey, thanks for featuring my Deck and Campaign on your site.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Hey, thanks for featuring my Deck and Campaign on your site.

Hi Tim,  welcome to the the forums!  :D

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Gorgeous detail.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello, Tim,

Can you tell us more about your concept for the deck?  It looks as if there's quite a story behind it.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »

Kingdoms of Erden

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
Hey Don. Thank you for your interest in my deck and the story behind it. I am creating a new fantasy world and IP that I will be using on as many platforms as I can. I am working on a card game and board game featuring some of the pivotal characters from the golden age of my fantasy world. I realized that playing cards were turning a profit for quite a few people and I already had enough characters painted to make a deck of playing cards. I also realized that the traditional suit icons fit four of my factions nicely: Spades for dwarves, leaves for elves and hearts and diamonds for my other two factions. feel free to ask more if interested.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Don. Thank you for your interest in my deck and the story behind it. I am creating a new fantasy world and IP that I will be using on as many platforms as I can. I am working on a card game and board game featuring some of the pivotal characters from the golden age of my fantasy world. I realized that playing cards were turning a profit for quite a few people and I already had enough characters painted to make a deck of playing cards. I also realized that the traditional suit icons fit four of my factions nicely: Spades for dwarves, leaves for elves and hearts and diamonds for my other two factions. feel free to ask more if interested.

If I might offer a suggestion or two...

Your indices are very large, but they're not located very close to the corner of the card.  This means that a player using them would have to spread his hand further in order to read all the indices in their hand, risking that an opponent might catch a glimpse of some of their cards.

The convention for modern faces is that the index is pushed as far into the corner as possible, that the suit is located below the value and is half the height, and that the indices are all of a uniform height and width.  Of course, no one forces anyone to conform to this convention just as no one forces the King of Hearts to always be the "suicide king," but when breaking a design convention, it's better to have a reason for it that serves the design rather than for no special reason or because you didn't know.

I would strongly recommend making your backers aware of the fact that this is simply the first product in a line of products containing the story of your Kingdom.  Pencil-and-paper RPG gamers do love to collect the various "artifacts" of their favorite games and you might be able to create some brand loyalty and generate more sales.  To that end, when the game finally does come out, I recommend you adopt an existing game system - the cross-compatibility of products and ease of using a system that's already known to them will make gamers more receptive to trying it out.  The d20 open license is pretty popular, and I'm sure you know of others.

For the calendars - they look awfully stark with just the character on a white background.  Perhaps placing the characters into a scene would help?

Another item worth consideration: create a short story that introduces at least a portion of your world.  Then give it away FOR FREE everywhere you possibly can in the form of a PDF file.  Think of this as the breadcrumbs on the path leading to your fantasy setting of Erden!  If writing isn't your strong point, a cost effective tactic might be to hire on a popular fanfic writer whose known for working in such settings.  It's the kind of thing some people would simply do for free, and if you make them aware that you're giving it away to as wide an audience you can find, they might accept the exposure as payment enough.  Oh, and perhaps some decks of cards!  The sooner you can do this, the better for your fantasy world's current and future products.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »

Kingdoms of Erden

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
thanks for the feedback/suggestions. i'll work on it :)

Kingdoms of Erden: Fantasy Playing Cards. next deck USPCC. by Tim Olinger (KS)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Kingdoms of Erden: Fantasy Playing Cards

Kingdoms of Erden: Limited Edition, Custom, Collectable, Fantasy Playing Cards. Defensive deck will be printed by USPCC at $10,000.
A little deceiving with the title having USPCC in it

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Rob, this is his THIRD attempt at making this deck.  Could you merge the topics?

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »

Kingdoms of Erden

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:03 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
The new campaign for USPCC printing at $5000 is here >https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835206317/kingdoms-of-erden-fantasy-playing-cards-next-deck
Hey Timothy. I just realized you are from the same town as me.  Does that mean I will get the cards delivered in person and get the hometown discount?  ;D
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »

Kingdoms of Erden

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
are you from ardmore?

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »

Kingdoms of Erden

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
actually, this is the first attempt to print this deck. I've already printed the first deck and am making it available as I am funding the next deck. The next deck will be USPCC printed upon reaching $5000. Short of that, I will still be able to deliver everything that is ordered by backers.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 02:32:15 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
are you from ardmore?
Yes. I grew up in Dickson but now reside in Ardmore.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

Re: Kingdoms of Erden by Tim Olinger (KS)(combined topic)
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Kingdoms of Erden: Hearts of Darkness Playing Cards

These playing card decks are the introduction to the fantasy game world of Erden. The world of Erden is alive inside my head and I'm working to bring it to the public as a multi-player rpg card game and an multi-player rpg board game. For those interested, i have made an art-book available through this campaign that will show and tell about the fantasy world of Erden and the games we are producing as well as a little of the process involved.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: Kingdoms of Erden by Tim Olinger (KS)(combined topic)
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Really beautiful artwork, though the Diamond pip being the shape of a Heart is so wrong.