You are Here:
Fournier 605 durability

Author (Read 1819 times)

Fournier 605 durability
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:35 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
hi i am not sure if i posted this in the right thread .. if i posted it wrongly pls help me move to the right place ..
as most of you know fournier 605 is known for it durability so does anyone wonder how well it is ?? i just surfing the net a few days ago and i came across this video and i thought perhaps i share it with you all ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbY5ICY4n4&feature=plcp
i am not the guy who film the video so i am not sure if it is fake or not , it i guess it is real since he has no reasons to lie
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:07:40 AM by Jin Jian »

Re: Fournier 604 durability
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i wrote the topic name wrongly .. i wrote it as 604 .. mod pls help me to change it to 605 and also remove this comment.. thanks

Re: Fournier 604 durability
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
i wrote the topic name wrongly .. i wrote it as 604 .. mod pls help me to change it to 605 and also remove this comment.. thanks
on the top, just below your name it should say: quote, modify. click modify and you can edit from there. hope that helps!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

Re: Fournier 605 durability
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 05:08:18 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
ok thanks .. at 1st i thought the modify is to modify the comment not the post .. thanks anyway

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Fournier 605s are known for their durability. They are more durable than plastic cards, yet after usage they handle as well as normal bikes and don't clump. The stock and finish may seem weird at first, but in the long run they are really worth it. I don't like the back design, but hey, these cards aren't made for beauty contests  ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
yup i know .. their durability are well known .. but i did not really think that it can last for 3 years !! i thought maybe after 6 months or so they stop working .. but 3 years !! that insane .. i am going to pick a pair of these up after i save up enough money .. maybe after getting this i wont have to get other deck for practicing

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
yup i know .. their durability are well known .. but i did not really think that it can last for 3 years !! i thought maybe after 6 months or so they stop working .. but 3 years !! that insane .. i am going to pick a pair of these up after i save up enough money .. maybe after getting this i wont have to get other deck for practicing
A pack of bees or standard bikes can last 6 years. I recommend you get them though, they are unlike most decks out there, but, trust me, you will be surprised at first.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I got the 605's yesterday in a trade with Don. My opinion on them is this:  Out of the box, they arn't great handling, but once you work them in they handle pretty good. Although not as well as USPCC decks IMO.But they are the best non-USPCC deck I own. And the design is very nice.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I got the 605's yesterday in a trade with Don. My opinion on them is this:  Out of the box, they arn't great handling, but once you work them in they handle pretty good. Although not as well as USPCC decks IMO.But they are the best non-USPCC deck I own. And the design is very nice.
Actually Fournier is a USPCC plant exported, just like they have some other plants in Germany (Phoenix series), and China (Streamlines).

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The pack in the video is definitely an older pack.  The newer ones have holographic seal stickers.

Fournier 605s are known for their durability. They are more durable than plastic cards, yet after usage they handle as well as normal bikes and don't clump. The stock and finish may seem weird at first, but in the long run they are really worth it. I don't like the back design, but hey, these cards aren't made for beauty contests  ;)

No paper card is more durable than a plastic one.  The only durability issue with plastic cards are that they can crack when mishandled.  But try taking any paper card and leave it submerged for five minutes, then dip them in mayonnaise and wash them off - plastic decks are unharmed, while paper decks would be totally destroyed.  And yes, I am aware that these cards can be washed, but they can't withstand prolonged exposure to water.

As far as the back design, it's the same one that Fournier uses for their popular 505 decks.  The 505s come in red and blue, these come in brown and green.

A pack of bees or standard bikes can last 6 years. I recommend you get them though, they are unlike most decks out there, but, trust me, you will be surprised at first.

No products from USPC's main plant can survive 6 years of regular use.  Unless regular use for you is breaking them out once or twice a year for family game night.

Actually Fournier is a USPCC plant exported, just like they have some other plants in Germany (Phoenix series), and China (Streamlines).

USPC operates NO plants outside of Erlanger, Kentucky.  Fournier operates as an independent entity to USPC, and USPC simply owns the company.  It's the same for Gemaco - USPC bought them up, but they still operate independently.

As far as China is concerned, I spoke with Bill Schildman about this maybe a year ago - those were NOT made at a USPC plant in China, but made by a Chinese contractor.  You'd be surprised just how much work USPC farms out to contractors.  They eventually stopped using the Chinese plant due to quality issues with what they were producing.

Card-Shark does have USPC-made decks - but not all of them are USPC-made.  There's a chart on the website which shows which decks were USPC-made and which one they had made by a German manufacturer.  All of the USPC decks they sell were made in USPC's plant - their ONLY plant.  The only time they had more than one operating plant was during the '09 changeover from Cincinnati to Erlanger.

If you want to open your mouth and speak with authority, please try not shoving your foot in it as well...   :bosswalk:
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
in my country after 2 month of standard bike they are done .. i use them for gimmick

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
in my country after 2 month of standard bike they are done .. i use them for gimmick
All bikes are the same in every country. For me a deck of bikes lasts varieing ammounts of time. It all depends on how much you use them. I have wrecked a deck in a single game of poker before. And I have packs from 2 years ago. It all depends on usage.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 01:58:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
All bikes are the same in every country. For me a deck of bikes lasts varieing ammounts of time. It all depends on how much you use them. I have wrecked a deck in a single game of poker before. And I have packs from 2 years ago. It all depends on usage.
For typical usage, especially for anyone practicing cardistry or magic using one deck until it's dead, no paper deck will last six years, and few decks will last for two.  That's especially true in humid climates such as where Jin Jian lives.  If not kept in a dry place, the humidity alone could destroy the deck while it's in an opened box, largely unused.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:59:26 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
In the video I understood that the owner used to handle the deck very regularly and since it's been 3 years and the decks is still in great condition. What I meant by a deck lasting 6 years is if you use it every once in a while and protect it from humidity.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In the video I understood that the owner used to handle the deck very regularly and since it's been 3 years and the decks is still in great condition. What I meant by a deck lasting 6 years is if you use it every once in a while and protect it from humidity.

The issue here is that one person's "regularly" is likely not the same as another person's.  Cards that I "regularly" use are usually in my pocket all the time, ready to be pulled out at a moment's notice for a quick trick or two, or perhaps even a card game.  Under those conditions, I've burned through about three or four Guardians and one or two Split Spades stripper decks.  I usually keep two packs of Bikes in my poker chip case, and when I played at my dad's house every Sunday, we'd wear out both decks in under two months.  They weren't destroyed, but they were no longer suitable for play: dirty around the edge from handling, wear and tear on the face and back, maybe the odd food stain here or there, and occasionally a torn or bent card.  And that was just one evening a week, about three hours of play each time.

I'm sure the Fourniers would last longer - I have some myself and I'm quite fond of them.  But there's a reason why playing cards fall under the collector's category of "ephemera": they were never meant to last forever, and in most cases not even for a very long period of "regular" use.  Wear 'em out, buy some more.  Even plastic decks that are kept clean and handled gently will wear out - the estimated average life span is about 20 years.

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
don next time maybe when you play poker game you can use a plastic deck ?? that way you can save more money ..
btw does anyone know what is the difference between the old and the new fournier 605
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:04:23 AM by Jin Jian »

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
don next time maybe when you play poker game you can use a plastic deck ?? that way you can save more money ..
btw does anyone know what is the difference between the old and the new fournier 605

My father passed away a few years ago, and the poker game died a little before that happened.  At the time, the only plastic decks we knew of were Kem decks, and the last time I brought Kem cards to a poker game, my players would crack them by slamming them on the table or throwing them at the wall.  They cost a little bit more then than they do now.  Given the option of destroying a plastic deck or a paper deck, paper will win nearly every time since few plastic decks are as cheap and the ones that are, aren't worth using.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the new packs have a holographic plastic film seal on them instead of a plain paper seal.  It means you're better off using scissors or a knife to cut the seal.  The cards appear to be exactly the same.