You are Here:
LTD promo at Ellusionist

Author (Read 7326 times)

Re: LTD sale at Ellusionist??
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I don't get your point. Sure, you can get some money back for the DVD you are buying but there is less demand, you sell for a much lower price than the normal market price, the money you make reselling the DVDs, if you have any buyers at all, are much smaller than the price you spent on them in the first place, and you are spending 50+$ for 1 deck that is worth 70$ and cost 2$ to make and whose market price is diving.
The point I'm trying to make is that they can be sold in the first place. The other point is that the amount of money a dvd or deck is worth is completely arbitrary as long as I can sell them.
And I agree on that point. However, while you are almost guaranteed you can easily resell decks for 50¢ cheaper and get a high level of demand, are you sure you will be able to sell you DVDs, even at 25% off?

Re: LTD sale at Ellusionist??
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

And I agree on that point. However, while you are almost guaranteed you can easily resell decks for 50¢ cheaper and get a high level of demand, are you sure you will be able to sell you DVDs, even at 25% off?

As a matter of fact, yes, you can.  People like saving money, period.  Post it on eBay with a reasonable shipping cost, and you will sell the DVDs.

I find it both surprising and not-so-surprising that the LTD. deck is still available, with about 7.5 hours left in the promotion.  Surprising that the demand for the deck isn't higher, not-so-surprised because of the purchase requirement.  It's designed to eliminate collectors and favor magicians.  Factor in the massive quantity of DVDs that people bought for the winter promotion and the demand is sharply reduced - leaving only people willing to take a slight loss to obtain a deck that exceeds the loss once the DVD's are sold.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: LTD promo at Ellusionist
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I think you are right Don. As you've noticed, many of their decks are sold out (series 1800s, tally-ho viper circle back, white-pipped black tiger...) I think now they are trying to get more buyers for their DVDs, which they produce a huge amount of at a low price, rather than only collectors buying their cards.

Re: LTD promo at Ellusionist
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
I think you are right Don. As you've noticed, many of their decks are sold out (series 1800s, tally-ho viper circle back, white-pipped black tiger...) I think now they are trying to get more buyers for their DVDs, which they produce a huge amount of at a low price, rather than only collectors buying their cards.
The Circle backs and Tiger white pips are out of stock simply because they've been discontinued, and the 1800's are out of stock because we didn't anticipate them to turn into such a popular Valentines gift (no, seriously). With the Artifice in two colors, the Arcanes, the Black tigers, Ghosts and Black Ghosts, three Masters, Tally-Ho Fan backs, Infinity and whichever ones I might've forgotten, I wouldn't say many of our decks are sold out right now.  ;) In fact, the only deck in production we're out of stock on is the 1800's and we're expecting the red to be back in stock within a week or two.

As for the "huge amount at a low price" - that doesn't really take into consideration the costs for royalty, graphics, the actual production and post production etc. Not to mention all the Mountain Dew and pizza.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:23:12 PM by Marcus »
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.