You are Here:
Linen Vs Magic Finish

Author (Read 1935 times)

Linen Vs Magic Finish
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

So I had a question thats bugging my mind. I know uspcc has cut down to only a few different finishes. However, the Aristocrat Banknotes say they use Linen finish. Do they truly use Linen finish or is it Magic? If so what is the difference between the two finishes??

Thanks!
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

Re: Linen Vs Magic Finish
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey Guys,
So I had a question thats bugging my mind. I know uspcc has cut down to only a few different finishes. However, the Aristocrat Banknotes say they use Linen finish. Do they truly use Linen finish or is it Magic? If so what is the difference between the two finishes??

Thanks!

You should ask USPCC that, but when I asked about finishes last, they told me they have only Air-Cushion and Magic and that the rest is just branding.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
I honestly have no idea what finish is used on the aristocrats but my guess is they applied magic finish. They didn't apply as much magic juice as the white arrcos but definetly a tad more than the style deck (style deck has slight clumps). The embossing level on the aristocrats isn't as deep as the style deck.

I don't know anything about cards though but that's my wild guess. Plus aristocrats have some metallic ink so.... yeah
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The Aristocrats are definitely not Magic Finish.  A Magic Finish deck has a distinct smell when you open it and it lasts for quite a while after it's been opened.

The biggest reason for the existence of Magic Finish, as I see it, is for decks that have "exceptional" properties to them - either a lot of ink or a metallic ink combined with a stock that doesn't handle it as well.  Card performance takes a hit with enough of either, so Magic Finish compensates for that.

Some just plain like that it's more slick and apply it to a deck where it's not entirely needed because of its ink.  Some prefer having just a little less slip between cards - a Magic Finish deck can be like holding a snake if you aren't careful - and use "Standard Finish".  All other finishes are just Standard Finish under multiple brand names.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I knew Don, the connoisseur, would have to come in ;) Then what is the finish used on Tally's nowadays? Standard finish?

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:21:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I knew Don, the connoisseur, would have to come in ;) Then what is the finish used on Tally's nowadays? Standard finish?

All the standard USPC brands use standard finish, branded for their individual decks: Air-Cushion, Linoid, Cambric, even Smooth on Aviators, Aladdins and Streamlines (remember that texture and finish are not the same, despite the marketing).  It's applied to a modified version of Aristocrat stock, since USPC no longer carries Tally Ho stock.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:23:40 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/