You are Here:
House of Playing Cards Project from The Blue Crown (Launches May 8th!)

Author (Read 24451 times)

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I don`t get why people are going to buy decks that take 2 minutes to make (Probably Less). This trend has to be the most pointless thing I have ever seen. We all like the decks that people put all those hours into and make beautiful. But we dont like decks that have empty spots, or are not very detailed. But all these people like a 1-color square box on a deck?! That is just stupid to me. :o

Here is a deck I am selling, it took me 30 seconds to make, and I will be selling them for $7 a deck. Any Takers?
Sure, its not hard to design it when its a solid color. But can you sell a deck that has a solid back with no faces? Have you even seen the faces of either the NOC decks or the Mystery deck? Do you know how much effort was put into designing the faces of either decks?
No I don't but for all we know it is standard faces. I wouldn't doubt it is either standard or slightly recolored faces. The Ace of spades is probably a blank ace the color of the deck.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Aaron, not only do you not know what the faces and box look like, but also the back design has some gradients and probably took more than 30 seconds to make (color choice, gradients etc).

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don`t get why people are going to buy decks that take 2 minutes to make (Probably Less). This trend has to be the most pointless thing I have ever seen. We all like the decks that people put all those hours into and make beautiful. But we dont like decks that have empty spots, or are not very detailed. But all these people like a 1-color square box on a deck?! That is just stupid to me. :o

Here is a deck I am selling, it took me 30 seconds to make, and I will be selling them for $7 a deck. Any Takers?
Sure, its not hard to design it when its a solid color. But can you sell a deck that has a solid back with no faces? Have you even seen the faces of either the NOC decks or the Mystery deck? Do you know how much effort was put into designing the faces of either decks?
No I don't but for all we know it is standard faces. I wouldn't doubt it is either standard or slightly recolored faces. The Ace of spades is probably a blank ace the color of the deck.
  Exactly! For all we know, it's standard faces. Meaning that we don't know anything except what the back design looks like!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:18:43 PM by Evan »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Aaron, not only do you not know what the faces and box look like, but also the back design has some gradients and probably took more than 30 seconds to make (color choice, gradients etc).
I am just going off what I see at this time. If it is spectacular faces, I would buy some. Just with what I see now I'm not impressed with the deck.  :)

Also Gradients take maybe another 30 seconds on top of the other 30 to add. And they just picked 5 popular colors. So like 1 minute to make each back design.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

The NOC deck isn't gradients.  It's just solid color.  Those five are the introductory colors - they're may be more.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

The NOC deck isn't gradients.  It's just solid color.  Those five are the introductory colors - they're may be more.
AHHH WHY! Why do they need so many colors of these! ;) Haha these better have BEAUTIFUL faces. ::)

I am actually very interested to see what this HOPC will be, it seems like some kind of site that will release several different decks from various designers, like KS but only good designs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:55:36 AM by Aaron »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
These NOC decks seem pretty simple if not too simple. I think they'd be more visually appealing if at the edge of the solid colour some shadowing was added.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:34:27 AM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
What's NOC? I thought it was HOPC? Here is the contest:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=432855403408967&set=a.432855360075638.113543.390904637604044&type=1&theater

NOC is this Design of cards.

Ellusionist has an Artifice series of cards, T11 has a Titanium series of cards, and HOPC will have a NOC series of cards.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The NOC deck is meant to be intentionally simple, and will be a "staple deck" of the HOPC lineup.  It's the equivalent of the blue and red Master Edition Bikes at E.

FYI: they're perfect for poker nights.  The solid back leaves no place to conceal visible markings.  Pro poker players prefer a simple back to a complex one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:51:58 AM by Don Boyer »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
This means there would be a lot of decks coming out?
I'm both happy and sad.
How can I find enough money for every decks? T-T

I know exactly how you feel every single time a new announcment here goes up about new decks and what not. :(

The NOC deck is meant to be intentionally simple, and will be a "staple deck" of the HOPC lineup.  It's the equivalent of the blue and red Master Edition Bikes at E.

FYI: they're perfect for poker nights.  The solid back leaves no place to conceal visible markings.  Pro poker players prefer a simple back to a complex one.

So if they are staple decks then it should be okay then. But if they are going to cost as much as custom decks then ..... >.>....
It would be a nice change of staple decks with simple designs. But will take a bit of getting used too.

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey everyone.  The NOC is intentionally simple.  Both HOPC and the NOC decks have been in development for at least 6 months. Any similarity between what we're doing and what any other company is doing appears to be a coincidence and a case of weird timing.

HOPC and Bedeceived are doing their own separate things. We wish Colin luck with his deck.

There are a lot of applications for decks, and different reasons that a person may want to buy or not buy a deck. We know that the collector market is very focused on fully customized decks.  Don't worry, we'll have you covered.

Just because the design is a solid color, does not mean that we did not put any time or thought into the design. It is not a complicated design. But we spent quite a lot of time going over a Pantone book to choose exactly which shades we wanted. We put a bunch of time figuring out our tuck, Ace of Spades, and Jokers to maintain the simple theme, while still being attractive.

Many people, such as magicians, flourishers, poker players, etc, have different desires in a deck.  The NOC is designed to be a working deck. Something bold and simple that can be used to put attention on the trick, flourish, or game, not on a fancy design.  It also makes a nice fashion accessory, lol! :)

For the first run of NOC decks, because we have so many colors, we could only make so many of each. So there will definitely be a certain collectability to them.

Different decks will always have different audiences. The great thing about today's card market is CHOICE.  We have so much available to us, we can buy the ones that appeal to us, and pass on the ones that don't.

HOPC will offer decks with a variety of styles, themes, and levels of complexity.  From the bold and simple NOC decks to decks that are fully customized, like we did with the Vaudeville deck on The Blue Crown.  It's practically impossible to make a custom deck that will appeal equally to magicians, flourishers, card players, collectors, etc across the board.

One thing is for sure - nothing like HOPC has ever been done before, and you won't want to miss what we have planned.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
Thanks for that info @Reylek
Colors are not simple things, I know. Our Color Theory teacher was a bitch about it all the time. :)
Best of luck with NOC HOPC!

Dudeee

• True Member
I think this is very interesting for us, but maybe not so for the 2 companies.

It's nice to compare cards from them both and the only thing to compare visually are their faces, which I can't wait to check out, I always liked the simpler backs with awesome faces.

IMO whoever has an inferior product visually will get many unfavourable comments. This will be too close for comfort for the "loser".......

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Ok. Reylek, so it seems HOPC allows for magicians, cardists, and collectors to choose the "perfect deck", am I right?

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
For those who are having trouble accessing our FB event, here is the contest info:

In exactly one week we will be launching www.houseofplayingcards.com!

Throughout the week we will be revealing new photos and info about everything that's in store. As always, we're also offering some great opportunities to win free stuff! Check out our 3 contests below. The prize for each contest is a brick (12 decks) of cards of your choice from any of the decks we offer at launch! We will be announcing the winners on May 8th at 7PM, one hour before we launch the site at 8PM eastern!

-CONTESTt 1: We've posted several photos of the HOPC logo as a photo collage in an album on the HOPC facebook page. Simply tag yourself in any of these photos, and we will choose one person at random to win a brick of cards! Even though there are multiple pictures, you only need to tag yourself in one of them.

-CONTEST 2: Create your own HOPC event! Make an event for the HOPC launch, making sure to include the website (www.houseofplayingcards.com) and the launch date (May 8th at 8PM eastern) and then invite all of your friends! The House of Playing Cards is a community-oriented, interactive site. The more people we have involved, the better the site will be! Make sure you invite Alex Pandrea to your event to be eligible! We will choose one winner at random to win a brick of cards! Here is an example of text that you can post in your event:
"The House of Playing Cards is a completely new endeavor from The Blue Crown that will turn the custom playing card world on its head. Whether you’re a magician, card player, collector, or designer, you will love what we have in store for you! We will be offering never-before-seen custom decks starting on launch day that will knock your socks off!

We have been working closely with the United States Playing Card Company on this project, and here is what they had to say about it:
"The United States Playing Card Company is proud to support the HOPC initiative utilizing all of their resources in technology and respected customer support staff for the Playing Card Market." -Bill Schildman, Head of USPCC Custom Division

Throughout the week we will be releasing new information about the site, so make sure you stay fully up-to-date by following us on Facebook and Twitter! The House of Playing Cards will be an interactive, community-oriented site! The more you participate and get the word out to your friends, the better the site will be!

Stay connected on Facebook here: facebook.com/houseofplayingcards

See you all on May 8th at 8PM Eastern time for the launch!"

-CONTEST 3: Post about HOPC on your wall! From now until launch, you can put posts on your wall about HOPC to spread the word! You can make posts every day, but please no more than 2 posts per day. As with contest 2, make sure to include the website and launch date. Also, make sure you tag the HOPC Facebook page so we receive your entries! One random winner will get a brick of cards!

Good luck to you all! Stay tuned throughout the week for new info, and we'll see you on May 8th!!!
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
HOPC says, "...and the best part : they. will. be. free. Find out how Tuesday, May 8th at 8PM EST"

Thats crazy! Somehow, we will be able to get our hands on Jerry's for free! I have no idea how though and the suspense is killing me!

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Here it is...  the HOPC logo on the Bicycle Americana deck

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's New! - I still am puzzled about how they plan to release Jerry's for free. Maybe they'll have tiered rewards, just like E.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
Contests contests rewards and all that.
I will probably tagg myself on the purple photo, since that is my all time favourite color (pink is next of course but there is no pink color hahahaha). ^-^

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Site be launched!

more power!

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
can't wait for the jerry's nuggets competition i've always wanted one

Eyeball

• Elite Member
The Jerry's post has got me hanging on the edge of my seat. I still wish I had bought some when I first started collecting and they were much cheaper than they are now, I honestly never thought a simple deck of cards could go higher than that price at the time! I hope I can scoop some up, those cards are one of the reasons I got into card collecting back in '06, which just makes me feel old even though I am still relatively young haha.

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
I look forward to seeing what they have in store for the Jerry's, I do have an opened red and blue deck but I would love more. I got mine back in 07 when they were cheaper but still expensive for one deck.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:43:12 AM by VortexHead »
UC

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I'm actually more excited about the HOPC itself than about the Jerry's. I'm starting to get a grasp of what HOPC's function may be, and it seems like a great and very useful idea.

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I spoke with Kevin Reylek on the phone today.  While I can't reveal the details of the conversation, I can say that there's going to be a lot of things about HOPC that you guys and gals will like.  I can also say that you WILL want to be there from opening day!

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey folks!  Only a little over an hour until launch!  Hope to see you all there!!
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com