• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
mismag822 just posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQu0ntyXmWI&feature=g-u&context=G28c421eFUAAAAAAAAAA

seems like a pretty cool idea, i may try it
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

Re: HOW TO MAKE AN INVISIBLE DECK
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That really pisses me off. Making a tutorial for an extremely popular trick. That trick has been around for so long... and now he just tells the world.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
yeah, but all of the people who spent $10 on a invisible deck would be pissed at him now
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
His application of the spray kinda sucks; it's not even close to an even coating on the card surface.  A newbie will end up ruining more decks than he or she makes, be it a newbie magician or a newbie DIY project builder.  A proper Invisible deck allows you to remove the card and not visibly spot a difference, while his application of the spray is noticeable.

I'm just waiting to see the comments of the n00bs who end up screwing the project up completely...  ;)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
As a magician, I hate seeing these type of vids. He's like a little kid who knows a secret and can't wait to tell his friends. Magicians know how this effect is done, the only people this helps are laymen. He should be so proud of himself >:(

Billy.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
How many laymen watch MisMag videos?  Nobody but magicians or people interested in learning tricks are interested in tutorial vids (oe even know what an invisible deck IS).  Seriously, get over yourself.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
How many laymen watch MisMag videos?  Nobody but magicians or people interested in learning tricks are interested in tutorial vids (oe even know what an invisible deck IS).  Seriously, get over yourself.

Exactly how I feel. If you perform it for someone, they have no idea what it's called or how to find it. It's not like you go up to someone right before you perform and say "I'm gonna show you a trick called Dresscode" because revealing the name would be stupid and they could find the trick. Laymen could see this and it doesn't matter, because as Kanped said, they have no idea what an invisible deck is.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:44:43 PM by loldudex2 »
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I hate exposure too, but there's not much we can do about it now except ignore it.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member

I just personally choose to support the magic industry and buy the properly made gaff decks, but thats just me. Seriously, get over yourself?? lol and I thought this was a friendly web-site :)  how's the weather all the way up there on that pedastal your on?

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:55:16 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Me?  You're attacking someone for giving away info that's easy to find anyway in an easy to understand tutorial video.  It's just information.  Personally, I don't like to support the parts of the industry who charge silly sums of money for things like string, wax and 'the secret'.  It's just information, which IMO should be free.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »

D_bag

• Forum Regular
Personally, I don't like to support the parts of the industry who charge silly sums of money for things like string, wax and 'the secret'.  It's just information, which IMO should be free.

This kind of info can make magicians lose their status man.
Think of magic like an rpg, at first you start off with free crap magic, but if you perform and make money, overtime you can afford the bigger better tricks.  Then you continue using those tricks until you're either tired of it or until you can afford even bigger magic tricks.

If all the info and magic trick were revealed and given off the bat (like having all skills availible in an rpg resulting in a lame game), then there will be simply too many magicians, and people just won't care for magic tricks anymore.

That's my opinion but what do I know

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Another opinion I have about this is if a trick has creator, and only one of this trick exists, you should pay. For example, Calen Morelli makes money every time Dresscode is sold and it is HIS original effect.

An invisible deck on the other hand is very different. I believe the guy who invented this deck is named Joe Berg (Don't quote me on that) and he died in the 80's. Now everyone and their mother is trying to cache in on this effect. Heck, I've seen cheap versions of this trick at the dollar store. The original creator is no longer alive, and this trick in a sense is "public domain", so I see nothing wrong with this.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The way I see it, is its not simple stuff like an invisible deck that makes a magician. Being a magician takes performance skills as well as the devotion to the craft that allows them to become technically skilled. In my opinion, simply being able to do a few magic tricks does not qualify you as a magician. If that was the case then anyone could become a magician with very minimal effort. Being a magician requires a passion for the art and a real effort to further their knowledge of it.

I moved the post to this board because the invisible deck is more magic related than playing cards in general.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:04:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm in agreement with Curt.  While the Invisible Deck trick is one of the greatest card tricks devised, it's also terribly simple to perform and the gimmick has been around for close to a century.  Just as we sought out the knowledge to become magicians, so can anyone else, whether it's posted on YouTube, read in a book or viewed in a DVD or a download from a magic site.  The knowledge has always been there, and always will be there.

But knowledge alone isn't enough.  A person can know what a double lift is, but can they perform one convincingly enough that they aren't detected?  (I've done triple lifts in the past to disguise a double lift - it's a riot when they think their card is second in the deck and it's not.)  Can they do the other countless sleights of hand that take months and perhaps even years of practice to do smoothly and undetected?

If all someone wants to do is poke holes in a magician's act, they were able to do that long before YouTube and the Internet existed.  Certain personality types can't stand being fooled and want to know how everything around them works.  They want to show off their "superior" knowledge by poking holes in a magician's act mid-performance.  That's not a big deal, really - because all they're doing is showing off how much of an ass they can be in front of an audience.  I've dealt with this before - the solution is pull a new weapon out of the bag that they can't simply explain away.  (Or smack them in the head a few times with a rubber chicken - whatever works...)  If they can poke holes in your act, make your act BETTER.

Most people enjoy more than just the knowledge and the skill - they love the performance.  I could do sleights and tricks all day for people by rote like an automaton and bore them to tears with it, but toss in the right patter, weave a little story into it, maybe a dash of comedy (like when I rub a card to put a little "magic" on it and it practically sounds obscene), that is entertaining, and no magic video or book can truly teach that, and that's what the audience really wants to see.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I totally agree with Sabaac.  The whole point is that you're an entertainer and that kind of info has no bearing on what you do.  I really don't think that laymen seek out this kind of information, either.  I'll repeat; people who enjoy watching magic have no interest in this kind of video.  Maybe the 'for entertainment' reveals of Penn & Teller and the masked magician are fun for them but that's only because the explanations of those routines is often just as spectacular as the trick itself (I always thought they were MORE spectacular, personally).  A gaff deck just doesn't have that same spectacle. 
I also feel that if someone comes up with a completely new method or effect, then that will be its own reward.  I'm not against them profiting from it, in principle but charging $30 for something like one gimmicked card and a 15 minute DVD is seriously pushing it.  I can usually work them out and could make my own gimmicks but I think the magic industry takes liberties with young magicians a lot of the time.  They're only tricks for fun, you know.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 06:30:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I totally agree with Sabaac.  The whole point is that you're an entertainer and that kind of info has no bearing on what you do.  I really don't think that laymen seek out this kind of information, either.  I'll repeat; people who enjoy watching magic have no interest in this kind of video.  Maybe the 'for entertainment' reveals of Penn & Teller and the masked magician are fun for them but that's only because the explanations of those routines is often just as spectacular as the trick itself (I always thought they were MORE spectacular, personally).  A gaff deck just doesn't have that same spectacle. 
I also feel that if someone comes up with a completely new method or effect, then that will be its own reward.  I'm not against them profiting from it, in principle but charging $30 for something like one gimmicked card and a 15 minute DVD is seriously pushing it.  I can usually work them out and could make my own gimmicks but I think the magic industry takes liberties with young magicians a lot of the time.  They're only tricks for fun, you know.

In the business of magic, a magician will try to price the gimmick not based on the cost of making it but on the impact it will have, and in some (not always pleasant) cases, based on the rarity of a limited production run.  Yes, it's an expensive trick, and you might be able to make the gimmick yourself, but it's a new, high-impact trick that will kick your performance up a notch, it comes with the performance tips of the pro who created it and for that knowledge, the creator feels he's due back a little something - for which I can't blame him.  But if it's some recycled POS trick not worth the paper it's made of, well...

That's the problem with buying magic.  Very often, we're permitted to see a performance by a skilled pro (sometimes with some skillful camera work tossed it to hide a potential flaw or two), but when the trick arrives, it's not like we expected, not nearly worth what we thought it was, due to limitations, difficulty level, poor workmanship, etc.  But because you're buying a trade secret, no refunds.

I want to see a magician sell a gimmick with an ad not with him or her performing it, because we know they'll make it look like a million bucks, but with some novice magician they just taught the trick to - THAT would be an excellent gauge of how great a trick really is.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
sabacc is right magicians make it look professional and not to mention camera tricks are very deceiving. reactions are chosen based on exaggerations as well. But definitely it is the worker not his tools that make the art work... obviously he NEEDS tools but the tools are only as good as the worker him/herself

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
check this. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+make+an+invisible+deck

mad at mismag? what he is doing is not new, just making it easier for his followers. I think if people sold how to make this deck him just showing it would be wrong but otherwise i feel it was ok.

and what about...
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ellusionist+tricks+revealed
you could go and find people who reveal different tricks if you look deep enough.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:16:21 PM by MrMagic322 »
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.