Latest on Current Status of Compass 822 playing cards
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Email I just received

Dear Sir/Madam,

First off, we would like to wish you a happy 2012! Best wishes from the
 AFPCC and our mother company DarkSleightZ (It's eS productions)!

Hereby the latest news on the Compass 822 decks of playing cards and the
 related pre-orders, as ordered by you. You may have already noticed it,
 but the cards haven't sold very well. However, there still is some hope to
 have the cards produced and sent to you in time, but you are in all rights
 to know what is going on so hereby a message explaining that.

This is the last month we have left to have the cards produced. We do have
 a couple of sources left to get fundings from but it is a big question
 whether this will be enough and whether these sources think it is worth
 investing in this deck of cards.

There are three possible scenarios:

1) The production goes on and you will receive your order in the end of
 this month or in the beginning of February. They will then be shipped by
 emergency (express) shipping to be sure you receive them extra fast.

2) There is a delay for one more month, depending on the external sources.

3) The runs get canceled and you will receive a refund of the full order,
 including the payment service costs.

If you would not like to wait for your order for another month, you can
 choose to cancel it in advance by replying with the phrase 'CANCEL'. Four
 months to produce playing cards from pre-orders is actually very common
 but of course we would understand this decision. Your money will then be
 refunded when the term is legally getting to an end at latest.

However, if the cards will still be produced, they will likely end up a
 little more expensive than what you have paid for them. We mention this
 just to be sure that you are aware of that and will not regret any
 cancellation if you would like to purchase the cards afterwards.

We are legally bounded to the first scenario (1). Therefore you will have
 to reply to this e-mail to make sure you approve the delay (2) or later
 cancellation (3). Do that by replying to this e-mail with the phrase
 'DELAY APPROVED'.

Please do not worry. You will either receive your order or a full refund.
 Do not start a PayPal claim because this means the money will get locked
 and no one apart from PayPal will have access to it, which slowes down any
 progress (both the production or the refund). We are sure to handle
 everything legally and professionally, and provide you priority service to
 make up for all the trouble.

Thank you for your understanding and we sincerely apologize for the
 inconvenience!

Yours faithfully,

The AFPCC
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

Re: Latest on Current Status of Compass 822 playing cards
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Although I do not agree with this companies selling tactics 100%, I kinda feel bad for Missmag822. I really want this for him, because he had brought so many people to magic, and I think he deserves this deck to be made.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I had never seen this deck before and I just checked it out, it looks really nice... Would be a pity if they don't get produced.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:26:33 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I think is MisMag himself was making some sort of profit on these decks I'd be much more likely to get a few, he has brought so many people in to magic and has done so much for others to help our art.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I liked this deck but I didn't pre-order because of everything going on with the company. I was hoping to get some once they actually had the decks. Looks like that might not happen after all. I hope that they can have the deck printed. I still think it's better than a lot of decks out there
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
While I got a laugh out of the April Fool's prank, I'm very wary of the AFPCC.  They're trying to fight market conditions - by selling into the same market?  Why not just drive the market crazy by having prototype decks made, legitimate one-of-a-kinds, use them online, and watch card fanboys cry when they learn they can never have them?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yeah; their message seems to be that they want  magicians to move away from over designed decks because it makes the spectator suspicious of this foreign design and you lose some of 'the magic' when using them.  The idea that they've decided to accomplish this by making the rarest deck in existence is hilarious to me.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's a bit of a fallacy that unique decks trigger thoughts in spectators of rigged cards.  Hand out the deck, let them look, fan it for them.  I rarely have even the least comment other than "Wow, those cards are cool, where can I buy them?"

If you want a "bog standard" deck not likely to trigger suspicion and is suitable for a poker game, there's an abundance of those already on the market now!  Bikes, Bees, Tallys, Hoyles, Arrcos, the list goes on.  Why make another - and make it more expensively - when most of these are just fine?  Bicycle Masters are practically plain by custom-deck standards, and they're perfect for poker.  Bicycle Prestige decks also do just fine.

Proving a point about how terrible the market has become by joining the market looks more like a backdoor, reverse-psychology way of cracking into that same market you're supposedly mocking and getting attention along the way.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

Mystery

May I mention that these e-mails are for correspondence with customers only and are not to be made public, nor is this allowed as written in the Terms and Conditions of Use and by law.. but well.. (I thought, let me mention it, because I have witnessed things getting really out of hand with another company when a private mail was shared and taken from another perspective than the consumer's one).

To clear up something, generating sales for the Compass 822 decks was not our task. We were told to easily sell more than enough decks, even if they would have been much more expensive than they are now. This, however, did obviously not happen and since our original, earlier-approved back-up plan eventually got rejected too, things were made really difficult for us. Of course we regret this and we are sorry for getting many others involved. We now are forced to do work that was not part of any deal to begin with, nor does any of us get paid for it, but we do it because we would like to have those decks produced, to send to those who ordered them.

Since the beginning, there has been some sort of misunderstanding that we would be making money over Jay (mismag) his back, but this is not true at all (as mentioned and explained on our site too). The only one who is making profit when enough decks would be sold, is Jay himself. The only parties that would get paid are the USPC, the postal services and Daniël, our transportation manager who'd get a minimum wage for shipping out all decks once these would be produced.

As for our company, half of the people get what we are doing, the other half does not, but there is no one who's thoughts didn't get triggered when seeing the decks we sell and the related prices (of the Miracles in particular). Yes, there is definitely reverse-psychology involved (also as mentioned). We do, however, not use it as "a backdoor to crack into the same market", we do honestly mean to make people think about the overly-commercialized world of playing cards, and to have them think twice (preferably more) before buying tons of cards or starting to collect decks that often aren't worth anything, just for the sake of collecting them. Once people have thought about that, they can do and buy whatever they want, and our mission would be succeeded.

Also, we do have some more average projects coming your way. At the biggest one of these, the decks will probably cost no more than $5.99 (maybe and hopefully a buck less too). This wasn't possible with the Compass 822 decks due to the high requirements we got, but yeah, I suppose that it gets time to show we aren't only the crazy group of people many of you think we are.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:54:07 AM by Mystery »

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Since the beginning, there has been some sort of misunderstanding that we would be making money over Jay (mismag) his back, but this is not true at all (as mentioned and explained on our site too). The only one who is making profit when enough decks would be sold, is Jay himself. The only parties that would get paid are the USPC, the postal services and Daniël, our transportation manager who'd get a minimum wage for shipping out all decks once these would be produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juujk2e_TO4
In that video Mismag says that he is making NO money off these cards
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

Mystery

Read the last sentence of the quote again. Like I said, those are the only parties to be paid... and you see Jay isn't in there.

Okay, fair enough, it wasn't said in a very fair manner, since of course we are making profit (not money-wise) if the decks would come out. But we are only losing money on this project (sample deck, emergency run, express shipping, etc).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:33:22 PM by Mystery »

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

Read the last sentence of the quote again. Like I said, those are the only parties to be paid... and you see Jay isn't in there.

Okay, fair enough, it wasn't said in a very fair manner, since of course we are making profit (not money-wise) if the decks would come out. But we are only losing money on this project (sample deck, emergency run, express shipping, etc).
So you are saying that Jay would have made money if alot of decks were sold but if not enough were sold he wouldn`t? In the video he says he will be making no PROFIT so I would assume he must have made an investment in the decks to get them printed or something. and I can see how you would be losing money on this and it is more of a deck to build you company on and get publicity and for MisMag it promotes his YouTube channel.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

Mystery

You somewhat got it, apart from that Jay's only investment was making the video, and that he wouldn't have been making money from it. We gave him this opportunity but the decks would have been more expensive and he said to be okay with making nothing more than the decks, as generous as he is.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
You somewhat got it, apart from that Jay's only investment was making the video, and that he wouldn't have been making money from it. We gave him this opportunity but the decks would have been more expensive and he said to be okay with making nothing more than the decks, as generous as he is.
Ok. Best of luck with getting your deck printed :)

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
If anyone wants to read the original thread for this deck/company, here it is...

http://aethercards.com/discourse/index.php?topic=322.0

I would read the whole thread

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I still consider the whole thing a little fishy.  I'm not interested.  Not even if they're the most rare, most valuable cards known to mankind.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I still consider the whole thing a little fishy.  I'm not interested.  Not even if they're the most rare, most valuable cards known to mankind.

Youve posted this many times before. There's no need to double post stuff (even if the working is slightly changed) just to up your post count. You've called others out on this and now you're doing it yourself.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'll grant that it's a restatement, but it's in rebuttal to Mystery's post.  My opinion remains the same.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 11:58:04 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:

Youve posted this many times before. There's no need to double post stuff (even if the working is slightly changed) just to up your post count. You've called others out on this and now you're doing it yourself.
I feel a point of bitterness in your comment... ::)
While Sabacc's accusations might sometimes be a bit strong, he actually has a reasoning behind every negative comment. He's not the only one here to be annoyed by useless comments, he's just one of the rare ones to actually be honest about it rather than ignoring it for the sake of "courtesy". Respect is important, but people also need someone to tell them when their behavior is unpleasant for the community. Doing so isn't disrespect.

While his comment is a restatement of a previous point, it is still a legitimate opinion and bringing it up again simply serves the purpose of showing that Mystery's arguments don't change his opinion in any way. Nothing inappropriate here.

Anyway, back on topic. I also find it strange that someone wouldn't want his fair share of a project he has been involved in. I also don't understand what Mystery means by "of course we are making profit (not money-wise)". What kind of profit would that be, if it does not involve money? A bit of clarification on this would be nice.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:36:00 AM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

He was just saying that he didnt want to buy stuff from this company. Look at how many posts he has, do you really thin he is trying to up his count by restating stuff, Sabacc is an active member of the community that contributes to alot o threads. And when he calls people out it is for GOOD REASONS. The fact that you called this out makes me think that you want to up your count and start a fight. Just my opinion. :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:26:14 AM by Aaron »

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

He was just saying that he didnt want to buy stuff from this company. Look at how many posts he has, do you really thin he is trying to up his count by restating stuff, Sabacc is an active member of the community that contributes to alot o threads. And when he calls people out it is for GOOD REASONS. The fact that you called this out makes me think that you want to up your count and start a fight. Just my opinion. :P

I'm really not trying to start any argument. I just didn't see the point in his post. He had posted it elsewhere many times and it really didn't add to the conversation. I just see him posting in other places about his post count and catching Alex and others and I just got little annoyed. Not to mention I am not one to start arguments for posting (others have done that). I will be more than happy to ask a moderator to take two posts away if you really think that.

@Moon I do repsect Sabacc I just found this post annoying (I've seen others and this one just kinda pushed me too far). I didn't mean any offense by it and if you're hurt Sabacc I'm sorry.

I really wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just felt like I had to say that.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 03:42:14 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
@Moon I do repsect Sabacc I just found this post annoying (I've seen others and this one just kinda pushed me too far). I didn't mean any offense by it and if you're hurt Sabacc I'm sorry.
I might be a bit defensive about Sabacc's case because I see his karma balance and it makes me realize that his honesty probably earns him as many foes as friends. I'm often in the same situation. ::)
Your post just seemed to me like kind of a revenge thing, but if it isn't, I'm willing to take your word for it. Besides, while there is a few members that are annoying because of their very high spam-to-post ratio, I'll agree that you're not one of them. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:43:03 AM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 03:50:41 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I might be a bit defensive about Sabacc's case because I see his karma balance and it makes me realize that his honesty probably earns him as many foes as friends. I'm often in the same situation. ::)
Your post just seemed to me like kind of a revenge thing, but if it isn't, I'm willing to take your word for it. Besides, while there is a few members that are annoying because of their very high spam-to-post ratio, I'll agree that you're not one of them. :)

Yeah I agree with what Sabacc had to say. Sabacc hasn't done anything to me so there was no need for me to get "revenge" or anything. I was just letting feelings be known (just being honest like Sabacc often is).

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Guys, thanks for the kind support.  Brown, no offense taken - I know there's a few people out here with spite in mind (or is it smite? :)) ) but you aren't one of them.  It's all cool.

Back to topic, everyone?