Tolkien deck

Author (Read 1294 times)

Tolkien deck
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I am a Tolkien fan above anything else and I am surprised not to have run into this deck design before. I don't know the current status of it and it could use some of tweaking, but I think there is a nice foundation started. Simple but with a lot of potential. Anyone ever seen this before? The website I found this at is http://thompsonandpartners.com/lord-of-the-rings-card-deck-aces/
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:00:40 AM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

Re: Tolkien deck
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:02:07 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
More pics
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:28:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
He'd need Tolkien's estate to sign off on it - and pay licensing royalties.

There's already an LotR tarot deck on the market, with rules to play a game with the deck.  Strip away the extra cards and voila - an LotR poker deck...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Yeah the tarot deck is printed by the same company that printed the Hochman encyclopedia. As a big fan of that franchise I just wish there were something better. The potential for a killer deck in general is there, regardless if it were one like this or not. I'm thinking a collaboration like what Jackson Robinson did with the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle  estate would be cool. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:37:03 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:53:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That Tolkien deck - a Lord of the Rings deck already exists...

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/post-your-collection-your-newest-acquisitions/msg93686/#msg93686

It's in the photo.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Several actually exist. Most are tied with the films in some way with recycled production images, movie scenes etc. I guess what I am saying is that nothing exists that brings a Tolkien theme together in an original, attractive, or unique way this franchise deserves; at least in my own opinion; but I am more than just a LOTR movie geek. Anyway, heres to the future. Eventually something may come along. 
That Tolkien deck - a Lord of the Rings deck already exists...

http://www.playingcardforum.com/playing-card-plethora/post-your-collection-your-newest-acquisitions/msg93686/#msg93686

It's in the photo.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:11:33 AM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Here's what the LOTR deck looks like:

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Several actually exist. Most are tied with the films in some way with recycled production images, movie scenes etc. I guess what I am saying is that nothing exists that brings a Tolkien theme together in an original, attractive, or unique way this franchise deserves; at least in my own opinion; but I am more than just a LOTR movie geek. Anyway, heres to the future. Eventually something may come along. 

I get what you are saying. Though my first experince came from the movie, I began liking the whole plot and story behind the LotR fantasy. It would really be nice to have someone design a deck of LotR cards through their own or JRR Tolkien's perception, and not having copied images and scenes from what they see from movies, as good as the movie may be.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I love Tolkien and the entire world. I've looked into doing a LOTR deck but the Tolkien estate requires anybody that is applying for a license to have been producing in that specific field for a minimum of three years before even considering an application. So I just started the clock. :)
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I love Tolkien and the entire world. I've looked into doing a LOTR deck but the Tolkien estate requires anybody that is applying for a license to have been producing in that specific field for a minimum of three years before even considering an application. So I just started the clock. :)

I would love to see your take on Tolkiens world! There Is so much great artwork associated with Tolkien in general. I am sure you know about Alan Lee , John Howe and Ted Naismith. I am in awe of those guys. I'm also glad to hear you are a fan. Too bad you aren't in Texas or I would invite you to smoke pipes and tell some tales. Anyway I think I wept a little bit upon seeing your response earlier. I think you could do such a deck justice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:07:45 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »

Firdawesome

• True Member

You've just made me so very happy. :D

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
The countdown begins...

:D