Cross Realms Playing Cards: Fantasy Edition

Author (Read 712 times)

Cross Realms Playing Cards: Fantasy Edition
« on: December 03, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »

russbrett

• Comic Book Writer

• Facebook:
Hey, guys!

I've been lurking here for a while (and throwing out a question here and there - thanks for the replies, by the way), and I wanted to show some of the cards my team is working on.  I respect all of the opinions of you folks, and appreciate that you don't hold back when it comes to critique.

For Cross Realms, we kept the standard values of a 52 card deck (2-Ace), but swapped out the traditional suits (clubs, spades, diamonds and hearts) for fantasy races (Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and Humans).  We also added titles to the cards and flavor text to give it a bit of a TCG/CCG feel (even though it's intended to be used as a standard deck).  And unlike most other novelty decks that I've seen, we did character work for all 52 cards, not just the face cards.

Orcs

Elves

Dwarves

Humans

Thoughts?  Comments?  Criticisms?

Any and all replies are appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Cross Realms Playing Cards: Fantasy Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If this was a release tied to an RPG or a comic book or a board game, I'd say, "Fantastic!"  As a standalone, it's not going to have strong legs in a market this diverse.

Consider remaking the concept as an art deck - a real art deck.  Use standard suits, first of all - using non-standard suits with no other merchandise to support it is putting two strikes against your concept to start with.  Make the art take up the WHOLE CARD, put indices on as "flags" over the art, and use the titles and flavor text in a smallish banner at the bottom of the card.

To give you an idea of what I'm thinking of, look up Anne Stokes.  She's done two Bicycle decks on her own and two Bicycle decks (plus a handful of others) for the Alchemy store chain.  Look at her Bicycle decks.  Big art that takes up the whole card, no titling at all, indices on top of the art.  She even managed with the "Dark Hearts" deck to theme the deck by suit to some degree without actually bothering to label it as such - spades are death/skeletons, another of the suits was sylvan-themed, etc.  Granted, her art a few ranks above what you have here, but there's nothing stopping you from upping your game with your artists.

BTW: consider ditching the name.  It's a little too generic.  A Google search for "Cross Realms" has a Chicago-based IT company as the first hit, the next three hits are about Worlds of Warcraft, and the fifth hit is about a future-setting RPG that had a "successful" Kickstarter project (it raised a whopping $100, had a single update since funding in August and was supposedly delivered over a month ago).  Not the kind of company you probably want associated with your concept...plus your page on Facebook isn't even in the first FIVE PAGES of links, so the name's not helping you one bit in terms of search engine optimization.  Might as well call it "Milk" or "Bacon"...

Alternately, ditch all this advice and make an RPG or a CCG out of this.  You'll have marginally better odds, I'd think, and then you can make a deck based on THAT!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Cross Realms Playing Cards: Fantasy Edition
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »

russbrett

• Comic Book Writer

• Facebook:
Thanks for all that, Don.

I appreciate the feedback.