You are Here:
Oh hi there

Author (Read 1360 times)

Oh hi there
« on: November 04, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »

axther

• Newcomer
Hello, I'm new here in this forum, found it via Google when looked for card collecting forums lol

I don't really have any idea about card decks and stuff, but I really want to start collecting them, but no idea how and where to start. I searched a bit and I'm thinking about collecting "Bicycle" card decks, but not sure if that where I should start and if there other brands of card decks that are more interesting for collecting

btw this forum looks great, really hoping to stay here and observe different collections :)

Re: Oh hi there
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:05:31 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hello Axther. welcome to the forum!

Collecting bikes is a great place to start. If you find you want to branch beyond bikes, there's plenty of that too. I think you'll have a great  time collecting playing cards, I know I do. There's lots of good information on various modern decks, bikes included, as well as a ton of information on vintage playing cards.

I'd say if you want to start collecting bikes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to swing by the bike shop. The site is a little hard to navigate and find what you're after, what they have for sale and what they're just showing off. Really not very good web design for a store. Still with some digging you can find their latest releases as well as some of the previous releases. Club 808 is now free to join as well so you'll find access to those decks there until they sell out.

Don't be afraid to jump in to share your opinions and observations as you join the conversation. Everyone is/was new at some point and it's always great to see each others thoughts on the various happenings in the hobby.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:37:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome, Axther.  Definitely take your time, look around, and get accustomed to the place.  Start at first with the new decks - you'll get some bargains, relatively speaking, and your new rare extra decks today can be used as trading fodder for older rare decks tomorrow, rather than blowing the wad and spending all your cash on sold-out rarities no longer in print.  You'll almost always get a better deal by trading than by buying in cash, though it's a little more challenging - at least you're in the right place for it!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »

axther

• Newcomer
Hello Axther. welcome to the forum!

Collecting bikes is a great place to start. If you find you want to branch beyond bikes, there's plenty of that too. I think you'll have a great  time collecting playing cards, I know I do. There's lots of good information on various modern decks, bikes included, as well as a ton of information on vintage playing cards.

I'd say if you want to start collecting bikes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to swing by the bike shop. The site is a little hard to navigate and find what you're after, what they have for sale and what they're just showing off. Really not very good web design for a store. Still with some digging you can find their latest releases as well as some of the previous releases. Club 808 is now free to join as well so you'll find access to those decks there until they sell out.

Don't be afraid to jump in to share your opinions and observations as you join the conversation. Everyone is/was new at some point and it's always great to see each others thoughts on the various happenings in the hobby.

Thanks! I'll take a look of it, btw I'm from Israel so if I want a certain deck it will take sometime until I get it, and is it ok to buy different Bikes on Ebay and Amazon? or is it risky?

Fix me if i am wrong or misunderstood, but the decks in the website you gave me are new ones right?

Welcome, Axther.  Definitely take your time, look around, and get accustomed to the place.  Start at first with the new decks - you'll get some bargains, relatively speaking, and your new rare extra decks today can be used as trading fodder for older rare decks tomorrow, rather than blowing the wad and spending all your cash on sold-out rarities no longer in print.  You'll almost always get a better deal by trading than by buying in cash, though it's a little more challenging - at least you're in the right place for it!

Well I mainly want to collect them for show and to brag off to my friends of the cool decks I have, so I don't really know if I'd like to trade decks, adding the fact I live in Israel and I don't think we have a community for playing cards collecting, but the challenge of trading sounds fun!

Small question, are there any rules or stuff that are like a normal thing to do when collecting playing cards? Like am I allowed to play with the cards I collect or it will hurt the value (Trading wise)? Can I unseal them or they have to stay sealed for maximum value(For trading as well)?   Sorry for my little knowledge of the subject :)

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Thanks! I'll take a look of it, btw I'm from Israel so if I want a certain deck it will take sometime until I get it, and is it ok to buy different Bikes on Ebay and Amazon? or is it risky?

Fix me if i am wrong or misunderstood, but the decks in the website you gave me are new ones right?

Yes those are mostly new decks at the bike shop. It's USPCC's storefront for bikes. Amazon and ebay are also great places to pick up playing cards, as are some of the fantastic outlets around the world. There are many quality retailers out there who try to offer a good price if you shop around I'm sure you can find them. When you find a deck you really like it shouldn't be difficult at all to have in your hands unless it's an out of print deck and even then, not too terribly hard to get in most cases.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »

axther

• Newcomer
Yes those are mostly new decks at the bike shop. It's USPCC's storefront for bikes. Amazon and ebay are also great places to pick up playing cards, as are some of the fantastic outlets around the world. There are many quality retailers out there who try to offer a good price if you shop around I'm sure you can find them. When you find a deck you really like it shouldn't be difficult at all to have in your hands unless it's an out of print deck and even then, not too terribly hard to get in most cases.

Sorry for so many questions, but just another one, can you explain me how the kickstarter decks work?
 Like is it a way to guarantee yourself that specific deck when it is released?
And should I start and getting decks from kickstarters? Couse there some cool ones that got my eye already :p

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Sorry for so many questions, but just another one, can you explain me how the kickstarter decks work?
And should I start and getting decks from kickstarters? Couse there some cool ones that got my eye already :p

There isn't really any way to guarantee anything on crowdfunding sites. The product hasn't been made yet and the whole purpose of them is to fund the product to be made. That said, the vast majority of kickstarter funded playing cards do fulfill and the quality of those playing cards are what you'd expect based upon the manufacturer.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:57:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

EBay has Buyer Protection on most of the items available there for auction - but you should check how the rules apply for buying from another country.

Amazon is a retail store - there's no risk.  Even when dealing with Amazon Marketplace shops, you're good to go.

Bicyclecards.com is operated by USPC - the actual retail company is Wingra Direct, a retailer that's wholly-owned by USPC.  All the decks they sell are new, but the site itself (in a different form) has been around for a while.  They used to sell from shopbicyclecards.com.

Well I mainly want to collect them for show and to brag off to my friends of the cool decks I have, so I don't really know if I'd like to trade decks, adding the fact I live in Israel and I don't think we have a community for playing cards collecting, but the challenge of trading sounds fun!

Small question, are there any rules or stuff that are like a normal thing to do when collecting playing cards? Like am I allowed to play with the cards I collect or it will hurt the value (Trading wise)? Can I unseal them or they have to stay sealed for maximum value(For trading as well)?   Sorry for my little knowledge of the subject :)

You can trade decks right here on the website, though there are some prerequisites to be met first.  Check out the board called the Pasteboard Bazaar.

As far as rules, they're the same as would apply to any kind of collecting.  Mint in sealed box is the most valued, but that's not to say a used deck is completely without value - just a reduced value.  Vintage decks will almost always be open-box, because few of those decks were ever saved - they were opened and used.  Opened but unused is worth less than mint-sealed, of course, and opened-used has a lower value - but there's also the fact that you got to use them!

I've recently described Kickstarter as a million people begging for money with a few million people hanging around waiting to give them money!

When an artist, inventor, creator, etc. wants to make something and lacks the cash, they used to have to go to one or two big investors who would sink a lot of cash into the project.  Now, instead of a few people and a lot of cash, Kickstarter has a lot of people, each giving you a small amount of cash.  But instead of being rewarded with stock or part-ownership of the company, you get a "reward" - usually a product made as a result of the project.  It's not a pre-ordering system and it's not guaranteed in any way - like any investing, there's risk.  A project doesn't get made if there's not enough funding to reach the goal before the deadline, and sometimes even when a project does get made, the creator doesn't manage the money well enough or is an outright scam - but in most cases, when a project succeeds, within a few months you get the reward, based on the schedule presented by the project's creator.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/