You are Here:
Gettysburg Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 1725 times)

Gettysburg Playing Cards (KS)
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2060803491/gettysburg-playing-cards

Follow up to my 2013 deck, Civil Unrest. This deck will solely be based on the battle of Gettysburg.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:55:01 PM by Rob Wright »

Re: Gettysburg Playing Cards coming soon to KS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:21:49 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Keeping myself posted. Here's the back to Gettysburg. First draft... a few changes coming.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Keeping myself posted. Here's the back to Gettysburg. First draft... a few changes coming.

That right there is an attractive-looking back.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Here's the front of the tuck and a modified back. Someone suggested the middle needed better theme to tie it in to Civil War.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Not a fan of the updated design.  I think it messes up a classy look of the first.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
I like the first one too. On the other forum someone suggested I should tie in the them better in the middle. I came across a 75th anniversary of Gettysburg coin with the flag design and thought I would use it in place of the interlocking hearts. I might switch back before launching. I keep on modifying things until I'm happy with the results.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Here's the updated updated design with the Confederate version.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Now those look much better than version 2.

If you use EPCC or LPCC, you can probably make a premium edition of these two printed with gold foil instead of metallic gold ink.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:42:07 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

fireshaper

• Forum Regular
Oh, those look nice! Love those backs.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Oh, those look nice! Love those backs.

agreed...updated backs are sweet

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member

Gettysburg playing cards is now live on KS!! I know there's a lot of competition right now so I'll understand either way but at least give us a look!

Re: Gettysburg Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
An excerpt from your Kickstarter....

"Up until this point we have produced all our decks with the United States Playing Card Company. We feel that USPCC has set the standard with playing card printing. But with high standards come high prices which in turn create high (and sometimes) unrealistic funding goals here on Kickstarter. My wife and I have seen countless numbers of good decks fail to reach their funding goals because of these high prices. Civil Unrest Gettysburg will be our first step towards producing our own brand. We're working closely with a production facility to produce a great quality product that will simulate the finishes and feel that comes with USPCC playing cards.

It is our desire to create a competitive yet comparable product to help not only ourselves, but other artists in creating more attainable funding goals.

As of right now, we plan on printing both decks... BUT if we hit the stretch goal of $22,000, we'll print the Union deck with USPCC and the Confedrate deck with us (the Tomlinson Playing Card Company)."

Can you elaborate about this?  Like what kind of card stock, finish, printer or whatever you feel like sharing.  Maybe how exactly it compares to USPCC.  Not a deal breaker for me... Just curious as I'm sure others will be..
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
I know I'm being somewhat secretive but I feel we have a winning product. This deck in a way will be our trial by fire. The stock is 310 linen from Germany and the finish is our own specifications... We call it Royal finish. We tried various varnishes... Amounts and drying times (temps) until we had something that felt right to us. Keep in mind, I'm not a magician or card juggler... So what's good to me and what's good to you might be different. I feel confident that we have a product that will come close to the quality of USPCC, EPCC and LPCC.  Will we surpass their quality? No.. Not yet. But we will be close. Rome wasn't built in a day. We establishing a cheaper place to get decks with all the bells and whistles done... Embossing, gold foil, inside tuck printing, etc. A place where artistic imagination isn't limited to dollar signs.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I know I'm being somewhat secretive but I feel we have a winning product. This deck in a way will be our trial by fire. The stock is 310 linen from Germany and the finish is our own specifications... We call it Royal finish. We tried various varnishes... Amounts and drying times (temps) until we had something that felt right to us. Keep in mind, I'm not a magician or card juggler... So what's good to me and what's good to you might be different. I feel confident that we have a product that will come close to the quality of USPCC, EPCC and LPCC.  Will we surpass their quality? No.. Not yet. But we will be close. Rome wasn't built in a day. We establishing a cheaper place to get decks with all the bells and whistles done... Embossing, gold foil, inside tuck printing, etc. A place where artistic imagination isn't limited to dollar signs.
Thank you for sharing more about it... I like how you're thinking and I look forward to checking them out for myself.  :D
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia