FOLD - The New Custom Deck from Pixel Initiative

Author (Read 505 times)

FOLD - The New Custom Deck from Pixel Initiative
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:41:19 PM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member
  • Living well is the best revenge!

• Kickstarter:
New deck design idea from Pixel Initiative. Fold, the origami themed playing card deck. Very simple tuck box, new look at deck layout... As fold is a Poker term also I thought it was appropriate.
Instagram @squiddleink

Re: FOLD - The New Custom Deck from Pixel Initiative
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:16:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, this is strictly personal opinion, as technically, the deck looks perfectly fine.

We've seen many decks with a similar appearance go through, most of which were from Kickstarter projects.  None used the label of "origami" but the geometric shapes presented were exceptionally similar.  I seem to recall they didn't generate a lot of interest the first time around.

Perhaps instead of the geometrics, hit harder on the novelty side - create a ten-step process for making a real origami pip shape - spade, heart, club and diamond - out of a square piece of origami paper, presenting each step on the appropriately numbered spot card as if reading an origami instruction book!  THAT would be utterly impressive, I think.  Perhaps you can even offer a tier where it's packaged with appropriate paper for making the shapes in red and black!

I could already picture someone preparing for a "girls' night" card game, decorating her apartment with little origami shapes of the pips!  It would truly be an origami deck at that point, and the name "Fold" really is a good one.  The court shapes you created would fit well with the theme and I don't think I would change them, especially if you modify the spot cards as I described, other than for one small detail - get rid of the border line you have drawn about the characters!  With them removed, you'll leave the focus on the origami character art itself.

You can "fudge" the ten-step process a bit, using more steps if needed, simply by placing more than one step on some of the cards, as long as the sequential order of the instructions is preserved in the numbering of the card of each suit.  Diamond will be easy, club will be a bit of a challenge!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:21:17 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/