You are Here:
Congress 606 (Hochman's US6) deck with purple backs? Red, Blue or Black in book

Author (Read 2067 times)

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Always keeping an eye out for the unusual, I noticed this original Congress 606 (Hochman's US6) with Dundreary type 1 Joker and Purple geometric backs. Obviously it has to be an 1880's version, but those are listed in Hochman's Encyclopedia Of American Playing Cards as having "geometric red, blue or black" backs. Obviously this IS original, but where how did Gene Hochman & Tom both miss the fact that there are at least a few Purple backed decks? Must be a rare(r) version, not to even be mentioned as existing in Hochman's? We'll see, Tom - what do you think about this one?  Just not as well-known perhaps, or is it truly an unusual find?  Words of wisdom, sir?  This deck is in fabulous shape, since the 606 brand was the best made of the original brands.  I take such crappy pix myself - I used those from the listing on eBay instead.  The joker is actually not as dark as it appears in the photo, it is clean and crisp and all cards are in excellent condition for an open deck likely some 130+ years old.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Always keeping an eye out for the unusual, I noticed this original Congress 606 (Hochman's US6) with Dundreary type 1 Joker and Purple geometric backs. Obviously it has to be an 1880's version, but those are listed in Hochman's Encyclopedia Of American Playing Cards as having "geometric red, blue or black" backs. Obviously this IS original, but where how did Gene Hochman & Tom both miss the fact that there are at least a few Purple backed decks? Must be a rare(r) version, not to even be mentioned as existing in Hochman's? We'll see, Tom - what do you think about this one?  Just not as well-known perhaps, or is it truly an unusual find?  Words of wisdom, sir?  This deck is in fabulous shape, since the 606 brand was the best made of the original brands.  I take such crappy pix myself - I used those from the listing on eBay instead.  The joker is actually not as dark as it appears in the photo, it is clean and crisp and all cards are in excellent condition for an open deck likely some 130+ years old.
A couple of comments -
We don't usually comment on back designs, colors, etc. in the Encyclopedia - exceptions are Bicycle, Marguerite, Society, etc., so any mention is more likely to be illustrative vs. all-encompasing.

The comment as having "geometric red, blue or black" backs was neither Gene's nor ours. It was a direct quote from R&M promotional materials produced in 1887. Perhaps purple backgrounds were added a bit later [a thought supported by the fact that this deck has the second Congress Ace of Spades - not the first]. We also don't know if this was a Congress #404 deck [the version to which the quote on colors was directed, or a #606. If you have the wrapper or box we can determine the version. Likely if it has gold edges it is a #606.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
A couple of comments -
We don't usually comment on back designs, colors, etc. in the Encyclopedia - exceptions are Bicycle, Marguerite, Society, etc., so any mention is more likely to be illustrative vs. all-encompasing.

The comment as having "geometric red, blue or black" backs was neither Gene's nor ours. It was a direct quote from R&M promotional materials produced in 1887. Perhaps purple backgrounds were added a bit later [a thought supported by the fact that this deck has the second Congress Ace of Spades - not the first]. We also don't know if this was a Congress #404 deck [the version to which the quote on colors was directed, or a #606. If you have the wrapper or box we can determine the version. Likely if it has gold edges it is a #606.
Ah, sorry - I should have added that information: the 404 is worth some 2 or 3 times as much, I am aware.  It's the unusual case where gold gilt edges means the value is diminished by 60-70% over the plain (404) ones.  This is green box, gold stamp, gold edges, without question the 606 version.  The AoS is indeed version 2, so I suppose that makes it more like 1895 instead of 1880's?  I don't recall exactly where the dividing line on those was off-hand, although as always my trusty Hochman's and supplement are both by my side within reach at all times.  Can you comment on value over the past 10 years for this specific one?  I know that any generalizations are far too much just that, but for this example I find the value for 404 is shown as $800 in excellent condition, the 606 only $300.  One would suppose that this is not quite to that high of a standard, but never-the-less in quite good shape (I need to take better pictures, I know).  That Dundreary type 1 joker (no "U$" in the corners, and unfortunately not the flesh-colored with oval around him which I know to be very rare) is in perfect condition for one that has been around for over 120 years even if we're closer to 1900 than I thought in the OP.
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Ah, sorry - I should have added that information: the 404 is worth some 2 or 3 times as much, I am aware.  It's the unusual case where gold gilt edges means the value is diminished by 60-70% over the plain (404) ones.  This is green box, gold stamp, gold edges, without question the 606 version.  The AoS is indeed version 2, so I suppose that makes it more like 1895 instead of 1880's?  I don't recall exactly where the dividing line on those was off-hand, although as always my trusty Hochman's and supplement are both by my side within reach at all times.  Can you comment on value over the past 10 years for this specific one?  I know that any generalizations are far too much just that, but for this example I find the value for 404 is shown as $800 in excellent condition, the 606 only $300.  One would suppose that this is not quite to that high of a standard, but never-the-less in quite good shape (I need to take better pictures, I know).  That Dundreary type 1 joker (no "U$" in the corners, and unfortunately not the flesh-colored with oval around him which I know to be very rare) is in perfect condition for one that has been around for over 120 years even if we're closer to 1900 than I thought in the OP.
#404 much rarer so probably worth double to the true collector who wants one. The deck you have is late 1880's I think. That Ace was used only until 1890-91 and the Joker with nothing in the corners is the earliest.
Tom Dawson

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
#404 much rarer so probably worth double to the true collector who wants one. The deck you have is late 1880's I think. That Ace was used only until 1890-91 and the Joker with nothing in the corners is the earliest.
Yep, knew that, Tom.  My question was more along the lines of "what do you think it's worth" as a very general idea - but as opposed to the $300 valuation that the Pricing Guide puts on the US6 with first Joker in basically excellent condition, no folds, no tears, no other 'defects', even the OB in 2nd class shape for one that old.  It's not the best one I've seen by far, but certainly better than No-B as I like to call them!  I'd have to say OB2+ since again, it's about 120+ years old.  No gold missing, a little stain on one corner, nowhere near perfect but certainly a good example and no defects.

Have you seen this particular color back before?  I saw an almost identical one that was blue with rectangles inside rectangles instead of this almost herringbone pattern.  That deck went for about 1/2 the price this one did.  I'm hoping that the community in general knows what they are looking at and for.   The backs being purple I think is unusual, now how unusual - I have no clue.  Like Hochman's says - they're top end by far, and price-wise WAY beyond anything else (I remember the comparisons by gross).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:42:45 PM by Mike Ratledge »
> Mike <

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Thinking $350-450 - there are lots of different geometric backs - maybe six or eight. Hadn't seen purple before.
The early 1890's backs are more interesting [more valuable?]. See a few below. The green one with the Chinese child is a #404
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:54:00 PM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
A better pix, and after looking closely, I will go OB1 for a 125+ years old deck. It's as if it was in a drawer for all those years, no tears, folds, bends or anything on all 52+Joker
> Mike <

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This is a 606 Geo Back I have.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
This is a 606 Geo Back I have.
Nice one!  There was a simple rectangle inside a rectangle blue backed one for sale at the same time, but it went for over $250.  The lady told me she was out of work and found them in a thrift shop.

Go figure.  Not a bad parley for $2 invested!
> Mike <