United Cardists changes hands to Mike Ratledge

Author (Read 9293 times)

United Cardists changes hands to Mike Ratledge
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:44:21 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Well here are my happy thoughts.  Why don't you two sister sites kiss and make up.  The Discourse and United Cardists both have things within the boards that I like.  If you two get along, this could be a golden age for both of you.  I think both of you should concentrate on getting creators on your forums and talk about their cards and help them before they put some wacko cards on Kickstarter or some other crowd funding place. 

Words from Mike Ratledge:

What does that mean for you? I hope that it means that everything will settle down here and we can get back to having a good time, I don't really want people just here advertising, but for all intents and purposes, I'm not going to be banning people because of it. Same with people that are primarilly here to sell things in the "Buy/Sell/Trade/ISO" forum, if that's all they want to participate I'm not really good with it, but it will be tolerated unless it is totally abused. I really want people to participate in the forums, just like has been the case for a while, but I'm not going to go hacking people off at the knees for not being like-minded as me.

That being said, I'm going to go review the bans in effect right now on a case-by-case basis. Since I am not aware of some of the history of UC, if there are people I should know about - i.e. people that have been abusive or just a holy pain-in-the-arse in the past, please pass that information along to me by PM. One thing for certain: I WILL NOT TOLERATE PEOPLE HAVING "FLAME WARS" AND CUTTING OTHER USERS DOWN HERE! This is a forum for like-minded people that are magicians, cardists, and collectors to discuss things, and that's why we're here. I'm not the kind of person to go micro-managing what everyone does, but if it gets back to me or I observe that someone is being abusive in any way, I WILL show them the door...

Some things are going to change, the sponsorship will change from the current logo to "Cyberian Way LLC", which is a company that I own for business-related endeavors. I'm going to get us started on my ideas about the "Kick Back" campaign, and create a new "Everything KickStarter related" sub-forum that will have at least the threads I maintain about "Successfully Funded KS Projects" as well as the "Active KS" thread, plus a new one "The Kickstarter Hall of Shame", which we will all have a say in and nominations for that dubious honor will win the project and/or creator a sub-thread of the "Everything KS" subforum of their own for us all to P&M about the projects and the creators of them respectively. We'll have to figure out how to rank them, what's fair as far as tagging someone with the albatross associated with the Hall of Shame, etc. I want it to be something we can be proud of and let other refer to, perhaps it will warant a new website some day when it outgrows the Playing Card arena, but for now, that's all we are concened about. Once that sub-forum is created I might move certain topics to that forum, and I will expect things that are KickStarter related to be posted there as opposed to the "New Deck" forum. I realize that these two topics overlap a great deal, but segregating KS conversations into its own little world will let people that are strictly old deck collectors participate without having to wade through tons of KS-related topics.

All this having been said, I hope that the change is welcomed by all here, and I want everyone to have a good time, feel free to express your opinions and not worry about whether of not I agree. That's not the point here, if we disagree - that's part of the learning process. I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, and "It's happened before"! :lol:

Ideas, thoughts, bitch-outs, all welcome here (or by PM if they involve other personalities here, please).

In 2 or 3 weeks - right after we put the New Year behind us, I'm going to be looking for a couple of partners to help me pay for the funding of these forums. It's not that expensive, in fact it's under $450 per year right now, and of course that is subject to change at the whim of GoDaddy.com, but I know that right now expenses are limited to about $430/year for hosting and administration panel fees plus around $10 per year for domain name registration. That's it. Basically I would be looking for two people (or groups of people) to come in at the $110 range or a single person (or group of people) to come in around $220 to basically split the expenses. For now, I've paid up through the renewal date in mid-February for Virtual Private Server hosting, 'cpanel' access for administation and maintenance, and through September 2018 domain registration.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:58:39 AM by sprouts1115 »

Re: United Cardists changes hands to Mike Ratledge
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
The reign of terror is over! Can I get a Haleluja!
- Tom

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The reign of terror is over! Can I get a Haleluja!

[golfclap time=10s]
[/golfclap]
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »

Phegget

What happened? UC is not working for me =(
uwotm8.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Something seems to be happening on the server end. They may be updating or moving things around.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
He is probably transferring from godaddy.com to something else.  Just a growing pain.  I wouldn't worry about it....

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular

It's back up, there was a SQL error (you can find the explanation there).
- Tom

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Well Mike, since you haven't posted about yourself in the introduce yourself thread. I'll say it here. Welcome to the Discourse. Congratulations on taking over UC. Sounds like you on your way to turning things around there. Having multiple places for people to discover and promote playing cards is only a good thing. Good luck, and hope you stick around here to.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »

Duke Boy

Question,
Has anyone else had issues with UC since the weekend?
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I saw a personal email from Mike stating that there were major issues.  Not quite sure when they would be fixed or if they are resolved already

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 03:22:24 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Question,
Has anyone else had issues with UC since the weekend?

You're not alone, haven't been able to load the page for a while now.   Figured there were issues on the back end again.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Just tried it - got the Apache 2 test page.

Mike, are you out there?  Give us a heads-up and let us know what's happening.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Got another email from Mike last night and it doesn't look good. Before I go into the details I will give Mike a chance to describe the issues, but it seems some transfer of data that was supposed to occur did not and it involves Mike Ferrante somehow.  The future of UC looks bleak per the email but I do not know all the details.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
That's really nasty.  >:(
I hope they'll solve the issue. Don't know why but as the site kept not loading I thought of Mike F for some reason. I hope I'm wrong...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:17:35 PM by Lotrek »

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member
Wish we knew when the current registered domain name went up since it's likely it was done in the same month as it will expire. I tried a whois on unitedcardists.com but it didn't give any background info like dates.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:58:49 PM by Dazzleguts »

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:16 AM »

Rick Davidson

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow..  That's rough

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »

montecarlojoe

Mike R had previously talked about getting UC transferred over to his GoDaddy hosting account around about now.

If this involved gaining access to Mike F's admin control panel... well he was less than helpful during the last hosting crisis.

We could speculate further I guess - but I'd rather wait to hear from Mike R.

(IMO worst case scenario is we start over - a prospect which is brimming with potential... On a side note and probably worth it's own thread elsewhere, Lotrek has posted teasers about the UC 2014 deck...https://www.facebook.com/GrotesqueDeck)
-MCJ

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!!"

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Looks like some small progress is being made. If you try to go to the site it gets you to an Apache server default page. That's better than getting nothing, though as someone that has setup sites I can imagine there is a huge amount of work to restore the site and setup the forum software again.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 05:38:26 PM »

Lotrek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Mike R had previously talked about getting UC transferred over to his GoDaddy hosting account around about now.

If this involved gaining access to Mike F's admin control panel... well he was less than helpful during the last hosting crisis.

We could speculate further I guess - but I'd rather wait to hear from Mike R.

(IMO worst case scenario is we start over - a prospect which is brimming with potential... On a side note and probably worth it's own thread elsewhere, Lotrek has posted teasers about the UC 2014 deck...https://www.facebook.com/GrotesqueDeck)

Yes... We have the UC annual deck, I hope we'll have the UC site too...  ::)

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »

Dazzleguts

• True Member
We're baaaack! :D

UC = phoenix.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 02:28:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
We're baaaack! :D

UC = phoenix.

You should note that according to Mike Ratledge, they're currently and temporarily running the site from an old backup on a server in Brazil.  Anything you post there now will likely not be saved when the forum is fully restored.

As a heads up, should any UC user want to keep a topic's continuity, please feel free to post here and copy it back to there when the board is fully restored.  I don't know how easy that will be, but I do want to be helpful here.  No more BS rivalries.  Just put up the title of the topic on UC and give it a (UC) tag at the beginning of the topic's title line.

The restoration process will likely take a little time.  Mike R. needs to get in touch with Mike Ferrante about getting access to the forum in its "before the crash" state, and Mike F. just lost his father on Monday.  As I'm sure you can understand, Mike R. is broaching the topic on tiptoes and wearing kid gloves out of respect for his loss.

Mike R., if you're reading this and there's some way we can help, please ask and we'll do what we can for you.

Mike F., if you're reading this, I'm certain I speak for the membership when I say that we're sorry for your loss and give you our condolences.

If you're a UC account holder and want to continue posting there, bear in mind that newer members' accounts will be missing if they joined after the backup date.  Passwords may also be reset to what they previously were.  Mike R. himself had to create a new account.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:34:49 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Just like to echo everything Don just said. Mike and I are meeting a week today and we'll be discussing, amongst other things, how we can work cooperatively with the two sites for the benefit of all.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
Just like to echo everything Don just said. Mike and I are meeting a week today and we'll be discussing, amongst other things, how we can work cooperatively with the two sites for the benefit of all.
Thanks, guys.  I had prepared for this oh, so carefully.  Made a full SQL DB backup and saved it locally, now what I find out is that it doesn't seem to work for restore - always gives a compression error.  Not sure, I've opened it and had no problems, I don't understand why Windows and Linux (well, CentOS) would handle it differently.

Right now we're up & running - limping along on that one backup I found amongst the rubble that resets the board to early March.  I'm still waiting to hear from the former owner by phone or email.
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »

th4mo

UC has been "Restored" to approximately December 21st for most users!!!

Some of the older topics are weirdly missing... but i think it's as good as we're going to get considering where we were. We're working to at least restart the recent "New & Custom deck" threads...

If you created a temporary account in the interim... you'll want to go back to using your old username and password again.

:D :D :D

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Is it just me or is UC down again?