You are Here:
The "White Whale" Wish List

Author (Read 6901 times)

Re: The "White Whale" Wish List
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
You should check out our winter giveaway :) Another 4 weeks of signed Madison decks to go http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/hashtag-giveaway
And YOU should be posting that in our contest sticky topic rather than here!  :))
But I thought that was the whole point.  :o
If it relates to what someone is searching for, why shouldn't he post it here?... or in both?  :-\
I don't want to break the rules. Please explain, and remember, I'm kinda new here. :(

S

Don's just stating the fact that's it's a giveaway and deserves to be in the holiday promotion topic
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Moth Myth. One of the best black decks I've ever seen.

But I've only seen them pop up on Ebay a few times, and each time it was for a crazy price. I must have spent three hours with my Chinese textbooks trying to decode their forum and see how I could snag a white one when they released.  Never did get one.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »

montecarlojoe

In addition to the previously posted Doctor Who / Gallifrey One deck, my white whale is the Original Vietnam War Bicycle Secret Weapons deck.  I've only come across them once or twice and both times I didn't have the funds on me. 

If I remember right there is the one from world war 2 (I believe that one) vietnam, and then the recent reprints.

Also if anyone knows where I can those Dr. who/Gallifrey deck I have a friend who would die if I got them for her, and her birthday is soon so please let me know.

I just sent a message enquiring about the deck through the Gallifrey One site... I'll let you know what happens!
-MCJ

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!!"

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
thank you, if there is any chance of me getting a few for a decent/cheap price I will
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 01:59:56 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular

I just sent a message enquiring about the deck through the Gallifrey One site... I'll let you know what happens!

I sent them an email a few weeks back, still haven't heard back.  Along with their facebook page and a few other Doctor Who internet haunts.  I hope you fair better than me as I have pretty rotten luck.

For the Secret Weapon deck I'm looking for, the way to distinguish the different versions and not be swindled are as follows:  Vietnam will have U.S. Playing Card Co, Cincinnati, OH listed on the front.  Desert Shield will have this as well but will state Desert Shield on the other side.  The new reprints they did just have U.S. Playing Card Co with nothing else since they're not in Cincinnati anymore.  The Vietnam decks are quite pricy as they are understandably quite rare.  Desert Shield ones can be had for $25 all day long via eBay.  I got my pack from a friend that was there.  The new ones are something like 3.95 and can be bought from bicycle directly.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 02:41:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
You should check out our winter giveaway :) Another 4 weeks of signed Madison decks to go http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/hashtag-giveaway
And YOU should be posting that in our contest sticky topic rather than here!  :))
But I thought that was the whole point.  :o
If it relates to what someone is searching for, why shouldn't he post it here?... or in both?  :-\
I don't want to break the rules. Please explain, and remember, I'm kinda new here. :(

S

Nurul was precisely right when he said that it's simply because JP's running a special in his retail store.  We have a topic in the Playing Card Plethora dedicated to all special offers, freebies, sales, deals, etc. between now and the end of the 2013/2014 holiday season, covering EVERYTHING we cover here.  Even though it's a PCP topic, I want anything magic and cardistry in there as well - one-stop shopping, so to speak!

Hey sharpie, Don is particularly anal about post placement.  It keeps the boards clean and makes it really easy to look for stuff using the search function.  I agree the purpose of this thread is to have someone come out of the woodwork and make your "White Whale" a reality.  With that being said I reached out to a member earlier about my White Whale via PM.  I knew Don would tell me it was in the wrong place if I just replied here.  You just have to get used to hitting off a different pitcher.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for that!  Setting up deals in PM is an excellent way to go about it.  Honestly, I figured this was more a topic about people talking about "the one that got away" rather than wish fulfillment!  But I'll leave it here anyway.  (I do love a tidy board!)  :))

While I'm on the topic, for the newer guys around here, we have an STISO board for selling, trading, etc.  The minimum requirement to post is a post total of at least 25 and a reputation of 1 or better - and that you read the rules of the board before your first post.  More importantly to you right now is that we have a sticky topic called "Trader Testimonials".  I periodically update the first post, which has a chart giving the total ratings a particular member has to date.  If someone pops up out of the woodwork and offers you a deal, check them out there and see what other members have had to say about them.

Happy hunting, whalers!  :))

But I've only seen them pop up on Ebay a few times, and each time it was for a crazy price. I must have spent three hours with my Chinese textbooks trying to decode their forum and see how I could snag a white one when they released.  Never did get one.

It's a shame you weren't here (or were you?) when the white one came out.  Aloys (of "Blue Tune" fame) was selling them at her online store as the exclusive retailer for sales to the US and most other Western countries.

I think I got my deck about a year or so ago.  An eBay seller had that deck for $50 on a Buy It Now as well as the Watcher deck, also from Misdirection's Mystery, for $35 including the extra gaff card set.  They've probably gone up a wee bit since then.  The black Moth/Myth - I think they're simply called "Myth" in Taiwan (where they originated from), and the "O" is more of a circle than a letter - was very unique in its handling, different even from MSM's other decks they offered later.  The finish is almost waxy to the touch, and it handles quite smoothly.

I haven't seen the price on them change a lot, but as you mentioned, they don't often show up on eBay either.  It's possible they've gone up in value.

If I ever decide to trade off mine, I'll let you know!

Nearly forgot: consolation prizes: the Ren deck and the Legends decks came from the same factory.  They're more reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:47:43 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »

Sharpie

I sent them an email a few weeks back, still haven't heard back.  Along with their facebook page and a few other Doctor Who internet haunts.  I hope you fair better than me as I have pretty rotten luck.
First thing I tried. Sent an email. Got a response that there were no more, not even opened ones lying around. Wouldn't say how many were printed, or where.

Do let me know if anyone gets a different response. ;)

Quote from: MrMollusk
Thought I had an extra, but can't seem to locate it. Will keep looking.

S
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:11:58 AM by Sharpie »

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

First thing I tried. Sent an email. Got a response that there were no more, not even opened ones lying around. Wouldn't say how many were printed, or where.

Do let me know if anyone gets a different response. ;)

Maybe if you nudge Jackson hard enough, he'll talk to USPC about getting the license from the BBC...you could have a whole new deck - nay, a SERIES of decks - from the Dr. Who license!

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »

montecarlojoe

thank you, if there is any chance of me getting a few for a decent/cheap price I will

I guess the other option is to find someone going to teh 2014 convention in Feb and see if they'd be willing to pick up a few and pass them on...
-MCJ

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!!"

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 02:43:08 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea that is the new plan, and maybe harry potter as well. If he makes a legit version of that I know another person who would die.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It's a shame you weren't here (or were you?) when the white one came out.  Aloys (of "Blue Tune" fame) was selling them at her online store as the exclusive retailer for sales to the US and most other Western countries.

I think I got my deck about a year or so ago.  An eBay seller had that deck for $50 on a Buy It Now as well as the Watcher deck, also from Misdirection's Mystery, for $35 including the extra gaff card set.  They've probably gone up a wee bit since then.  The black Moth/Myth - I think they're simply called "Myth" in Taiwan (where they originated from), and the "O" is more of a circle than a letter - was very unique in its handling, different even from MSM's other decks they offered later.  The finish is almost waxy to the touch, and it handles quite smoothly.

I haven't seen the price on them change a lot, but as you mentioned, they don't often show up on eBay either.  It's possible they've gone up in value.

If I ever decide to trade off mine, I'll let you know!

Nearly forgot: consolation prizes: the Ren deck and the Legends decks came from the same factory.  They're more reasonably priced.

I was here. I even put up an ISO with broken Chinese. http://aethercards.com/discourse/sales-trades-isos/(iso)-msm-moth-myth-will-trade-2013225442/msg62232/#msg62232

I had no idea Aloys was selling it, though!  :o And looking back at the topic, the deck was 300 元 (about 50 bucks) for non-members. It probably wasn't a good deal anyway. I've heard great things about the handling, and also remember it being mentioned that the black ink didn't chip as much (May not be true. Don't even remember where I heard it). Not to mention that it just looks sweet in general.

I do have the legends deck, though, and they handle like a dream! One of my favorite decks for handling. They were actually the only deck that didn't get soft and warped when I visited China.

If you ever decide to sell or trade one, a PM would be greatly appreciated! I'd even buy a opened deck if it wasn't too well worn.

Thanks, Don!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My White Whale
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 11:02:15 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Though my playing card collecting odyssey is very young I have found what appears to be my White Whale. It is a deck I am wanting to chase, but I've never even seen it for sale outside of a single card on ebay once. It is the Bicycle Stag back deck and I hope I will eventually run across it at a sale or antique store or something. I have  shared a picture below from the internet.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I know white whale usually refers to only one, but I guess I have a family of white whales..
Cage Gardens
White Centurions
and of course, Jerry's Nuggets

I think the bigger issue for me, especially with the Jerry's, is that I would want to open and play with them, but it's almost a sin since they're so rare.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
My white whale is a Federal 52 deck. I know they are for sale everywhere but I can't convince myself to drop $30-$50 on a deck.

Also a couple of jerry nugget swap cards. Just want to see what it is that makes them special.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

Re: My White Whale
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Though my playing card collecting odyssey is very young I have found what appears to be my White Whale. It is a deck I am wanting to chase, but I've never even seen it for sale outside of a single card on ebay once. It is the Bicycle Stag back deck and I hope I will eventually run across it at a sale or antique store or something. I have  shared a picture below from the internet.

That is one very cool back design there Josh....I'm going to have to keep an eye out for that this spring when i start hitting the antique shops again  ;)

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran

Not sure if this is still something you are looking for but there is a seller on ebay selling the

Black for 39 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Misdirections-Mystery-Moth-Myth-playing-cards-/290947266756

the white for 23.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Misdirections-Mystery-White-Moth-Myth-playing-cards/290999507458?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D19839%26meid%3D4670654972644937993%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8934%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290947266756%26
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yea that is the new plan, and maybe harry potter as well. If he makes a legit version of that I know another person who would die.

There are several Harry Potter decks out.  USPC made one for release in the Japanese market and Cartamundi has the license in the US.  I'd be shocked if some card company doing business in the UK doesn't have a license there.

If you ever decide to sell or trade one, a PM would be greatly appreciated! I'd even buy a opened deck if it wasn't too well worn.

Thanks, Don!

I'll keep it in mind.  Sometimes, patience will work. Try making a Google search with the name of the deck and "ebay.com" - then bookmark that search and check it once or twice a day.

Not sure if this is still something you are looking for but there is a seller on ebay selling the

Black for 39 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Misdirections-Mystery-Moth-Myth-playing-cards-/290947266756

the white for 23.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Misdirections-Mystery-White-Moth-Myth-playing-cards/290999507458?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D19839%26meid%3D4670654972644937993%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8934%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290947266756%26

That's a bingo!  I think he might even be the same seller I bought my decks from.

He's also selling the Watcher deck - I recommend you get ALL THREE.  Make sure he's selling the Watcher deck with the extra gaff cards (I think there's six or eight of them).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:43:02 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Thanks a bunch!

I'd love to buy them... but I just don't have enough cash  ???.

I keep checking ebay in hopes that someone not knowing what they're worth will put them up. They look crazy awesome.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

That's a bingo!  I think he might even be the same seller I bought my decks from.

He's also selling the Watcher deck - I recommend you get ALL THREE.  Make sure he's selling the Watcher deck with the extra gaff cards (I think there's six or eight of them).

The Watcher deck he is selling has this detail:
The deck contains 52 cards, 2 jokers and 3 gaff cards. It is BRAND NEW, in cellophane and sealed. It has NOT been opened and is in PERFECT condition.

There's more than one version of this deck, I take it Don?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I have all of the Misdirection decks and there is only 1 watcher deck. There is also the black Myth deck and the white Myth deck....This is their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/msmmagic

I see a new picture of a box there..Not sure if this is a re-release or something new. I will need to check it out
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:27:50 PM by badpete69 »

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2014, 02:59:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks a bunch!

I'd love to buy them... but I just don't have enough cash  ???.

I keep checking ebay in hopes that someone not knowing what they're worth will put them up. They look crazy awesome.

Considering how difficult they are to obtain, the odds are very much against that happening.

The Watcher deck he is selling has this detail:
The deck contains 52 cards, 2 jokers and 3 gaff cards. It is BRAND NEW, in cellophane and sealed. It has NOT been opened and is in PERFECT condition.

There's more than one version of this deck, I take it Don?

Thanks for the knowledge!

There's just the one Watcher deck, but there's extra cards that aren't always sold with the deck - a packet of perhaps six or eight cards that aren't in the box.  It's great when you can get them all together, but honestly, I know few magicians that would be willing to use such a costly and hard-to-find deck in their regular performances, unless it was a show where the spectators never touch the cards (and what fun would that be, right?).  I'll go look at my deck and give you more details sometime this weekend.

I see a new picture of a box there..Not sure if this is a re-release or something new. I will need to check it out

This is just a guess, but based on the box's dimensions it looks like a two-deck boxed set.  Whether it will be decks from the original printing or a new printing, I have no clue - as I said, just a guess.  Something to remember - since Aloys Studio was the international seller of the white Moth/Myth, there's a good chance she'll be performing the same service when this new box comes out as well.

I should point out to ANYONE buying these decks to be careful about removing the cellophane, only taking off the small, top portion.  There's a trick you can do with the box if you still have the bottom half of the wrapper.  There's a video for the trick somewhere on the Internet - if you check the old topic on the black (original) Moth/Myth deck here, you'll probably find a link to it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:06:46 AM by Don Boyer »