Kickstarter Game over $1,000,000 on it's first day

Author (Read 3959 times)

Kickstarter Game over $1,000,000 on it's first day
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:50:05 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Did anybody see this. They got past $1,000,000 in the first day!!!!
And they still have 32 days to go! The Kickstarter owners must be drooling
over their 3% cut on this one.

I'm not a gamer so I haven't heard of Double Fine Productions or Tim Schafer
but they must have a lot of diehard fans.

here's the link:     http://kck.st/A9k3jH

Re: Kickstarter Game over $1,000,000 on it's first day
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Wow that's one insane accomplishment funding wise. I watched the little trailer and it was very well done. I remember old adventure games and I know that there are still many fans out there so it really isn't a big surprise to me that there is such a huge backing for this. 1,000,000 though in eight hours!!!  ??? Wow, kudos.

It'll be cool to see how this turns out.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Who told you it's 3%? :P It's 5%, and Amazon takes another 5%.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Wow. That's a lot! Which means you barely make any profit if you reach your goal, unless it is much higher than what you need!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

wow! That's insane. They really are taking a big chunk of one's fundings. I never realized how crazy that is  ???

Do many Kickstarters make a profit at all? I would feel it would be tiny if any

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Wow kickstarter and amazon would be making a mint off of most projects let alone one thats cracked the million dollars with 30 days to go. Be really interested to see what amount it gets pledged for in the end.
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I say it ends at 20,000,000$. Who says differently? This could be a fun game!

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thats crazy! People pledged $5000 and even $10,000!

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Thats crazy! People pledged $5000 and even $10,000!
And if you go on their website, there are pledges for 50k+!

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Just for the record, Tim Schafer is responsible for virtually EVERY family-friendly, genuinely funny video game ever released.  He was responsible for, most notably Grim Fandango (commonly regarded best adventure game ever) and Psychonaughts (commonly regarded amongst the best games of any kind ever).  He made all his most famous games for LucasArts but they decided that they just wanted to milk the Star Wars franchise and fired all their other gaming staff.  A good portion of the company set up TellTale Games, Schafer set up Double Fine.  They've made a few things (notably Brutal Legend) and the spirit is definitely there but his games were always great for the jokes, characters and story, not so much the gameplay and Brutal Legend focused too much on the gameplay, wasn't great (still good). 

Look, anyone who who actually played one of Schafer's many exceptional games can understand why people are going nuts over this one.  I'm just off to pledge $110 for a poster...

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08:03 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I pledged $30 for the Documentary series HD download. I'll try the game out (if they port it to Mac or iPhone), but the Documentary sounds like it could be amazing on it's own.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Hmm... I don't think Steam works for Mac and they'll probably prioritize PSN and XBLA over Apple stuff.  You could always try Wine or similar; it would be well worth doing, even if you don't like games.  I'm really looking forward to the documentary as well.  I'm studying Games Design and Development at Uni right now so seeing the process in this form is going to be really interesting.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:55:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm totally shocked at the amount of cash this project raised in such a short time.  This guy must truly be the rock star of game designers.  This is Kickstarter's most successful project ever, right?  At least in terms of dollars raised, not by percentage of goal reached.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:56:36 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I don't get it. It didn't appear to me that it'll attract so much attention and raise these funds with the screen-shot of the game. "classic point-and-click adventure" type of game? Not my thing.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Woah this should easily go past 2,000,000! They've just about funding the rest of the adventure games they design  ;)

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 05:11:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I don't get it. It didn't appear to me that it'll attract so much attention and raise these funds with the screen-shot of the game. "classic point-and-click adventure" type of game? Not my thing.

"Stacking" was a point-and-click adventure game with elements of puzzle-solving.  And it was phenomenally successful, since it was never delivered in a physical format, only online - it had a manufacturing cost of $0.00, and a distribution cost that was only a fraction of the games that exist on discs that have to be trucked to stores and kept inventory of.  The game was cheap and popular, and the company Double Fine made a lot of cash on it.

And that's just ONE of their games...

But if you aren't into that kind of game, well, you aren't into it.  No two ways about it.  But it has the potential to be very successful, just like the company's previous releases.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 05:18:46 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Schafer isn't exactly like a rock star of games design.  He had a (pretty big) loving fan base that only got more resolved when LucasArts fired everyone.  It's not just admiration, people genuinely love the guy.

BTW, Randy I was totally wrong; Mac and iOS is their number 1 priority after Windows, so it'll definitely be available on those platforms.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Schafer isn't exactly like a rock star of games design.  He had a (pretty big) loving fan base that only got more resolved when LucasArts fired everyone.  It's not just admiration, people genuinely love the guy.

BTW, Randy I was totally wrong; Mac and iOS is their number 1 priority after Windows, so it'll definitely be available on those platforms.

OK, I'll grant you that.  When using the term "Rock Star", I simply meant he had a large and devoted following - on which we seem to agree.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »

fusionx2

• Newcomer

• last.fm:
Hmm... I don't think Steam works for Mac and they'll probably prioritize PSN and XBLA over Apple stuff.  You could always try Wine or similar; it would be well worth doing, even if you don't like games.  I'm really looking forward to the documentary as well.  I'm studying Games Design and Development at Uni right now so seeing the process in this form is going to be really interesting.

Steam works for mac, but there aren't many games on it compared to the PC (mostly just all the valve games and a few indie games).

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
I'm totally shocked at the amount of cash this project raised in such a short time.  This guy must truly be the rock star of game designers.  This is Kickstarter's most successful project ever, right?  At least in terms of dollars raised, not by percentage of goal reached.
Correct, the most successful project in terms of percentage belongs to the Elevation Dock: http://kck.st/uu4Ty8

With so much money being raised I bet the big name game publishers are kicking themselves right now.

Also, in case anyone is still thinking of pledging, here are some other rewards:

Pledge $15,000 or more: Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.
Pledge $20,000 or more: Dinner and BOWLING with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.
Pledge $30,000 or more: Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.
Pledge $35,000 or more: Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.
Pledge $50,000 or more: Become an actual character in the game.
Pledge $150,000 or more: Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:01 AM »

ReaganM

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Holy crap, that makes my project feel so small and insignificant... I remember being so excited when I made 200 bucks the first day.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 06:42:40 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I hate to be a hater, but almost 100% of the top KS projects are total trash. This game ... I don't even know what its point is. Point & click was a terrible genre for a simple reason: you can't do what you want to do. You're limited to basic preset commands and nothing more, and you get to stare at terrible fonts and 2D graphics for hours and hours. I used to play them in the 90s and I am glad they went out of style.

I'm sure the devs are talented, I'm a hardcore gamer and I can respect what they do. However, not every effort is a good one. Modern gaming has a "hipster" movement about it where objectively terrible games are put up on a pedestal. For example, Minecraft is one of the most mind-numbing and boring things in the world and its popularity is through the roof.

Perhaps I am just a rare breed of gamer that prefers an escape from the mundane of reality.

As for the other top KS projects, meh. Most of it Apple related. It baffles me to see literally iphone/pad case come out and get funded one after another. How many cases do you need for your phone?! I own a Nexus S and I rock it without a case. If I buy one, I will buy one, not forty of them, and certainly not for ten times what it costs to get the best cases from retail stores.

The real awesome KS projects take a bit of searching for.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 06:49:39 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Modern gaming has a "hipster" movement about it where objectively terrible games are put up on a pedestal.
Amen to that. Have you actually tried minecraft, though? I had the same vision of it before, but it's the kind of thing that just sucks you in once you actually make the effort to be interested. And I'm definitely not one of those "hipsters" - I love originality, but I have yet to see a single one of those indie game that is actually worth my money. :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 06:50:58 AM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Alex, you actually have me gritting my teeth i frustration.  Adventure games have always been the best way to convey depth of character and tell a well-paced story in games.  You are given a world to play with, to question; you absolutely have freedom, much moreso than Linear Corridor Shooter 3.

Escape from the mundane of reality?  This teams previous efforts were about a bunch of kids stuck in a house occupied by sentient tentacles across 3 different time zones and a dead man who was forced to become a travel agent in the afterlife chasing the (dead) love of his (after)life through some of the most brilliantly realized fantasy worlds in gaming history.

I admit, there was a lot of crap in the adventure gaming market because they were easy to make but they were extremely difficult to make well and Schafer, along with others on his team (notably Ron Gilbert, who pretty much invented the genre) have nailed it each and every time.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
If any of you has a DS, I only have one thing to say: 999. Best. Game. Ever. :P
If you like reading, that is.
But I can see where Alex is going. Sure, there are some good point-and-click games(mostly japanese-made visual novels, the genre being much more developped there), but unless everything is nearly perfect, it can become very boring very quickly. And with today's gaming market, nothing is ever perfect.

I'll just sit back and see where this goes - if it really is that great, I might buy it on steam later on.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.