You are Here:
Suggestions for storage and protection of vintage decks

Author (Read 1587 times)

Suggestions for storage and protection of vintage decks
« on: September 04, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

dcbrown

• Newcomer
This is my first post here, so please excuse if I haven't chosen the best sub forum.

I've seen a lot of suggestions for bulk storage of decks. Any suggestions for protection of individual decks, such as when 100 year old tuck boxes and tax stamps might be prone to damage in bulk storage? What about very old sharp corner decks that have no tuck box? The "carat case" seems a little big for storage, although it looks like a great display option. Found some polyethylene clam shell boxes on a card supply sight but not sure about the clarity.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:56:58 PM by dcbrown »

Re: Suggestions fir storage and protection of vintage decks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This is my first post here, so please excuse if I haven't chosen the best sub forum.

I've seen a lot of suggestions for bulk storage of decks. Any suggestions for protection of individual decks, such as when 100 year old tuck boxes and tax stamps might be prone to damage in bulk storage? What about very old sharp corner decks that have no tuck box? The "carat case" seems a little big for storage, although it looks like a great display option. Found some polyethylene clam shell boxes on a card supply sight but not sure about the clarity.

I seem to recall that Will Roya is selling some nice clear plastic boxes with separate lids that sandwich together to hold a poker-sized deck.  They're not 100% clear but they're clear enough to allow you to identify the contents.  They're sold by the dozen for $23.99, so they cost about $2 each.

https://playingcarddecks.com/collections/accessories/products/1-dozen-clear-plastic-boxes-for-regular-poker-sized-playing-cards-in-tuck-case

Another alternative would be the Pack Jackets from Conjuring Arts, but they're a bit more expensive and not clear.  Honestly, Will Roya's boxes are one of the most effective and inexpensive solutions out there.

For storing small quantities of decks rather than individual decks, there's a lot of great products that were made for the sports card collectors' market that work perfectly for playing cards.  My personal favorite is the Super Monster box, but that's the largest-capacity box they make - it holds 5,000 sports cards or about 125 poker decks.  But they make smaller-capacity boxes as well, as few as about 12-15 decks as well, and they're great for when I'm transporting a small portion of my collection to and from conventions.  They may even have smaller boxes than that, down to as few as a half-dozen.

And lastly, for individual collectors, few things work as nicely as the binders and sleeve pages made for the sport card collectors' market, too.  A binder page can typically hold nine cards, each in their own individual pocket, and the cards can be in thin Mylar or polypropylene sleeves.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »

dcbrown

• Newcomer
Will Roya's boxes sound like what I'm looking for.  I have some old faro decks stored in a vintage card press. I think keeping them in the press causes ink to transfer from fronts to backs. Now that I'm starting to accumulate some "modern" decks with tuck boxes and tax stamps, I'd like a new storage option that works for everything. This sounds like a good start.

Some kind of flexible 3D sleeve that would fit over a tuck box would be perfect, but sounds like nobody offers one. Maybe I should get busy and make a batch!

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
For higher quality display and storage cases, you can check out my cases at www.caratcardcases.com.  Single deck cases retail for 8.49 and can be found at various retailers, including playingcarddecks.com   ;)

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 08:15:12 PM »

dcbrown

• Newcomer
They're beautiful. They would be great for displaying a few special decks...and the price seems very reasonable for what they are. Not quite what I'm looking for every deck needing extra protection in bulk storage.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Will Roya's boxes sound like what I'm looking for.  I have some old faro decks stored in a vintage card press. I think keeping them in the press causes ink to transfer from fronts to backs. Now that I'm starting to accumulate some "modern" decks with tuck boxes and tax stamps, I'd like a new storage option that works for everything. This sounds like a good start.

Some kind of flexible 3D sleeve that would fit over a tuck box would be perfect, but sounds like nobody offers one. Maybe I should get busy and make a batch!

There is a Mylar sleeve that fits over an entire tuck box.  It's used to hold multiple sports/collectible cards but it's big enough to hold an entire poker deck in the tuck box.  Some companies sent me decks that I've ordered in them.  I think there's also bags big enough to hold two decks as well.  They have a sticky line on the flap that's a lot like a Post-It note in that it allows you to seal, open and reseal the bag.  You really have to check with the sports collectible shops.  Either that, or go straight to the source - the industry leader in that category of protection for collectibles is Ultra-Pro.

For higher quality display and storage cases, you can check out my cases at www.caratcardcases.com.  Single deck cases retail for 8.49 and can be found at various retailers, including playingcarddecks.com   ;)

Carat Cases are great, no doubt about it - but they're more like the Bentley of deck protection, whereas I think dcbrown is looking for something more like a Honda or a Toyota!

Re: Suggestions for storage and protection of vintage decks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »

dcbrown

• Newcomer
The mylar sleeves sound like what I'm looking for. I'll definitely check them out. I can still use the plastic boxes for anything without a tuck box. They should both work within the same bulk storage solution. Thanks very much for all the suggestions!

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The mylar sleeves sound like what I'm looking for. I'll definitely check them out. I can still use the plastic boxes for anything without a tuck box. They should both work within the same bulk storage solution. Thanks very much for all the suggestions!

The Mylar is good for simple, cheap protection BUT will not prevent damage from things like an accidental drop, a spill, etc.  Both options used as needed sound like a good solution.

There's also the option of getting a deck sealer.  Some magic shops sell them - you can literally re-seal a deck in cellophane, making it look somewhat like it was a brand new deck.  It's good protection for a deck you don't want to handle a great deal.  The sealer costs a few bucks, but the cellophane is pretty cheap in bulk.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »

dcbrown

• Newcomer
Some great options....should make this thread useful in the future.