Author (Read 3595 times)

*READ FIRST* Submitting a Review & How To Succeed
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hey folks! If you're planning on submitting a deck review, please follow the rules below. Following the rules keeps the thread tidy, guarantees you more views and keeps your review from being deleted.

1. All reviews must be submitted with a tag AFTER the thread title: [VID] for video reviews, [TXT] for text reviews

2. Review titles must be straightforward. Post only the name of the deck you are reviewing, its corresponding tag, and any other appropriate tags you'd like. Here are the available tags, please note that only the bold tags must be included in your titles and the rest is optional:

[VID] - video review
[TXT] - text review

[pics] - review includes pictures
[long] - in-depth review (to give you an idea, 6+ minutes or 400+ words is something I'd consider in-depth)
[fimp!] - this tag is for first impressions (i.e. you just got the deck and did not yet break it in)
[unbx] - if you include an unboxing in your review, feel free to use this tag

3. Use a star rating and get indexed! Rate the deck out of FIVE stars. Include your rating in your thread description as well as somewhere in your thread. If you do a video review, same thing. Using the star system is entirely optional, but a moderator will add their own star rating to your review based on what you wrote/filmed. The rating provided will be the best possible estimate of the feelings you expressed. You may at any point change the rating provided to you by a moderator after notifying them of the change.

***** - This deck is practically flawless, and is the absolute definition of amazing playing cards
**** - This deck is pretty darn good, and definitely worth looking into
*** - This deck was decent and has some outstanding traits, but nothing too special
** - This deck was mediocre and average on all counts
* - This deck is absolutely terrible, but is still somewhat usable
ZERO - This deck can't even perform in card games, and is bad in every possible aspect

That's all folks! Our index will be used to aggregate your opinions and sort the decks from best to worst.

New to reviewing? Looking for tips on improving the quality of your critique? Look no further! Let's take a look at how you can improve your reviewing skills, increase your views and create a fanbase all at the same time.

The first step to making a review is keeping your bias out of the picture. Do you hate Dan & Dave? Have they murdered your family? Has Brad Christian come to your home to ransack your belongings? Cool, call the police, but keep your anger out of your reviews. Likewise, if you've had an affair with one of the folks from the Blue Crown or won a contest at Theory11, keep your positive bias out of it as well? Why? Because the deck has nothing to do with its creator. It's a product that has very defined and unchanging characteristics. If you love/hate the producers, feel free to blurb about that in your review, constructively.

Actually, just keep all your critiquing constructive.

If something makes you want to tear out your eyes and die, by all means say so, but describe how it could be improved, explore why the faults could have occurred, and try to find something positive. Again, the reverse is true. If something is absolutely stunning, explain why!

Next you should consider the facts. Never lie in a review. If you're in doubt over something you're stating as fact, either exclude your comment entirely or do some research. I've been on both ends of this. When I would review decks, I would spout out ludicrous statements that were untrue. The result was that people actually believed me. My ignorance is not an excuse, and if I were to go back to reviewing now, the first things I would do is make sure I don't spread misinformation. On the flipside, I've seen plenty of reviews spout complete lies about cards as well. For example, there is no such thing as a "909 Premium Finish" that T11 touts on their decks from time to time. The USPC allows you to name any finish whatever you'd like to. Yet people constantly say that the "909 Premium Finish" is somehow different from the magic or air-cushion finishes.

Okay, so now that you know what you need to know about the cards, where do you start your review? Consider the following categories to critique:

- Handling: Make sure you know how to do basic flourishes such as various fans, some cuts, springs, faros and dribbles. There isn't a huge variety in handling among USPC decks, so don't be afraid to hand out similar critique to cards that literally feel identical.

- Design: This is a big one, since handling tends to not vary as much as this. Keep in mind that art is 100% subjective. No, seriously, it is. What you should be looking for here is not whether something looks good or bad, but whether or not it accomplishes what it sets out to do. For example, if a pink and purple deck looks horrible to you, but the theme of the deck is ponies and princesses, then the design itself isn't necessarily bad. On the flipside, amazing artwork can look terrible when jumbled into 52 different pieces of cardboard stock.

- Magic: If you dabble in illusions and tricks, tell your readers/viewers why the deck may or may not be good for you. Exclude rating the deck on how well it performs for magicians if you are not somewhat versed in magic yourself.

- Flourishing: Cardistry, XCM, whatever you want to call it. If you dabble in this, include it in your review. If you don't then leave it out.

- Card Games: How well does the deck work for Texas Hold 'em? Slapjack? Solitaire? Go Fish? If you know your card games, review this section, otherwise move on.

Finally, after all is said and done, focus on your formatting, grammar, and spelling if you are doing a text review. Focus on your video editing, sound and video playback quality if you are doing a movie review. These things are crucial to maintaining an audience.

That's it! Get out there and review some decks!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:18:18 PM by alex. »
Forum Founder.

Re: *READ FIRST* Submitting a Review & How To Succeed
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:08:15 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Oh my.... way too many rules.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Thanks for the tips Alex! I'll be sure to use them in my upcoming reviews.

Well, they may be a lot, but they are all beneficial to at least a one person.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Lol?

There are three rules. Rule #3 is entirely optional. Rule #2 is halfway optional. The other half is literally a repeat of rule #1.

So really, there is only one rule, and that has to do with tagging your titles.

:-\
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:44:14 AM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
Just to add some more video deck reviewing tips;

Record during the day time. The lighting just looks way better than yellow lighting or artificial brighteners.

Have a clean background. Nobody wants to see your garbage or your laundry. (I need to follow this tip more often)

Review hype decks or the newest hot deck released to get maximum views earliest. If you do a good review, people will refer to your vids more so than somebody elses. And if you review a new deck before anyone else on youtube, your video will likely pop up in the search. The biggest draw back to reviewing the newest decks quickly is your review may be inaccurate compared to someone elses review who had the deck longer.

Clean flourishes and color changes are very powerful tools to use in deck reviews when done right,
because:
They look awesome.
It makes you look card smart.
It's a good visual for card quality.

Here are the subcategories within the handling category. When discussing the particular trait, have a flourish or two represent that trait.
Springiness- Dribble, Card Spring, Le paul spread, under pressure
Fanning Ability- thumb fan, finger fan, one hand fan, giant fan
Faro- one hand shuffle, faro shuffle, giant fan
Cut and cling- Hot shot, werm, z cut, charlier etc

And that's pretty much all I can give about deck reviews right now. Sure they're obvious suggestions but... they're obvious suggestions... for a reason so keep these in mind  :karrit:
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube