[VIDEO] Uusi Pagan Gilded

Author (Read 941 times)

[VIDEO] Uusi Pagan Gilded
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My first video review - yes, it's too long!  Only had an iPhone and a lamp pole, no editing software, no script.

One correction: I mention in the video that the gilding is 23-karat gold foil.  It is in fact 23.5-karat gold foil.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:03:17 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: [VIDEO] Uusi Pagan Gilded
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
"Like an ordinary person would use a deck of bicycles..."

Yes, that means we are extraordinary!

Anyways Don I bumped this ol' comment because I was curious about gilded decks and their value.  A couple gilded decks have had a limited gilded option recently, being spirit and arcana.  I originally had both, but just stuck with Arcana because I'm in love with the deck and would not plan on selling the set anytime soon.  However I was tempted by the spirit gilded deck but backed out to give someone else a chance at it...as I think I would only keep it just to sell at a later time.

I'm sure there's plenty of talk about decks as investments, but I was curious about gilded decks specifically.  I don't see many available on ebay at all and don't have a grasp on what the prices of them go for...or if there's even a desire for them.  Any ideas?

Re: [VIDEO] Uusi Pagan Gilded
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:40:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
"Like an ordinary person would use a deck of bicycles..."

Yes, that means we are extraordinary!

Anyways Don I bumped this ol' comment because I was curious about gilded decks and their value.  A couple gilded decks have had a limited gilded option recently, being spirit and arcana.  I originally had both, but just stuck with Arcana because I'm in love with the deck and would not plan on selling the set anytime soon.  However I was tempted by the spirit gilded deck but backed out to give someone else a chance at it...as I think I would only keep it just to sell at a later time.

I'm sure there's plenty of talk about decks as investments, but I was curious about gilded decks specifically.  I don't see many available on ebay at all and don't have a grasp on what the prices of them go for...or if there's even a desire for them.  Any ideas?

I used to say a lot that gilded decks were for people who loved pretty things to put on the living room table but didn't so much love playing cards.  The old ones got flecks of gold all over the place and were just a mess to play with, like all those glitter-laden Christmas cards that make you look like you've been hanging out with strippers...

For the decks I was talking about back then, I suspect that many were using a simple gold paint slathered along the sides.  The decks from Uusi were quite different, using nearly-pure gold foil that's applied by hand (even in the old days, there was no automated process I know of for applying gilding to the edge of a deck; it was always done by hand).  The glue used appears rather substantial, so the foil remains in place.  Given enough use, I imagine it would wear down eventually, but they're outlasting any expectations I may have had for them.

For collectible value - dude, it's REAL GOLD, 23.5-karat.  It's not a lot of it, but gold's expensive enough that even new, these decks are expensive.  Anything with gold tends to appreciate in value rather than lose it if for no other reason than it's a precious metal.  Collectible value is icing on the cake, really.

These originally sold for $125 each at Uusi.  They made silver-edged versions of the original Blue Blood and Blueblood Redux.  The Blue Blood was $185 (the deck was already a rare collectible by then) and the BB Redux was $125.  Kept in mint, unopened condition, these will probably fetch a premium in the aftermarket, but how much I couldn't accurately say.

I also can't speak toward other companies' decks.  They'd probably follow much the same pattern, but that's just an educated guess with no factual basis.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:42:38 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/