You are Here:
Memento Playing Cards Live (KS)

Author (Read 1784 times)

Memento Playing Cards Live (KS)
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I am so used to being on both forums that I just noticed that there wasn't a thread on this nice forthcoming deck. Now live

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/586933711/memento-a-new-bycicle-playing-card-deck

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:35:42 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Memento Playing Cards Live (KS)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

tyl3r

In on the early-bird. Been following this deck for awhile. Showed great improvement from the first draft. Now everytime I look at it again, I find myself liking it even more!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:49:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a pretty decent deck.  It's not lighting a fire under my ass to go out and buy it, but the deck's design has no real flaws to speak of.  Maybe it's the monochrome faces on the courts.  And while I have no issue with decks using four indices per card, I know there's some Americans who hate that layout, preferring just the traditional two indices.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Memento Playing Cards
by Legends Playing Card Co.

Shadow deck only at the moment. Light deck funds at $20,000.00.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:16:24 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
had an early bird and backed out because i'm not that into these cards.  Might still be available if anyone wants?

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
had an early bird and backed out because i'm not that into these cards.  Might still be available if anyone wants?

I grabbed an EB when it launched. I'll probably keep it but I won't go heavy on this one. I like the card backs on the shadow deck and I enjoy the Aces. I find the courts and Jokers to be the weakness of this deck and I don't particularly care for the card back in white. That's just due to my taste though. I have no doubt they're very appealing to others. The indices are good and the pips are strong. I'd like to have seen the names of the court players not on the cards and the courts following the number cards with four sets of indices. I don't like being spoon fed who's on first, again that's just me. Also would have liked to have seen reworked Jokers, kind of strange to have character courts, whether I like them or not, yet leave the Jokers to just jester hats.

Second reason I'm keeping the EB and may pledge a little more for a second deck. I'm hoping this campaign does well. It's being put on by Legends Playing Card Company. That's pretty cool and in my opinion, it's a big deal. I'd like to see how this goes. May be an interesting experience. May be a typical campaign. No idea, since this will be their first.

Overall I think this kind of deck is an either like it or don't affair. I'm finding some things about it I enjoy. Still, it's in a style very similar to the Misc Goods deck. I have one Misc Goods deck, it was tossed in with something or something, I don't remember. I never really cared much for that deck at all. Like I've said before, all mass produced cars at some point tend to blend in and look like toasters. It doesn't stop us from wanting to pick up the new toaster cruiser. Not that these are toasters or carbon copies of anything. Just that similarities in styles shouldn't push anyone away from given these an honest shot, including myself.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:12 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Okay then, despite being a massive fan of Legends Playing Card Company, this particular project I have mixed feelings about.

To be totally honest, Fes has pretty much nailed it in his post -- there is something about the deck which does have that same sort‎ of feel as the Misc Goods deck. The line drawing style, and the style of the aces (especially with the serpent wrapped around the ace), and the use of the four suits on the back design, I think that's what reminds me of Misc Goods.

(By the way, I absolutely hated Misc Goods -- I think it was a really ugly deck, and I still have no idea how it managed to get over 100k in funding.)

The back design looks to me like the type of stuff that has been seen before on playing cards, but just in a black and white line drawing style.

What I like though, is the history aspect of the deck -- that heros of history and mythology are depicted in the courts. I really like that sort of stuff. The explaination behind why each court character has the items he or she does, is pretty cool -- I like it when there research is done. 

The problem though (of course, this is my subjective opinion only)‎ is that there is nothing particularly exciting about the style of the artwork. To me it comes across as too unspectacular. 

I also like the pip placement on the number cards, and even the 4 corner indicies... but‎ I honestly feel that despite the positives, the deck is missing that all important "wow" factor. 

I was hoping that the first LPCC kickstarter project would be a big one that basically takes innovation to the next level... but to me, this one is a bit too plain. If it does get funded (and really, I hope it does) then that would be cool -- especially for the artist. I think it's brilliant that LPCC are giving artists a boost like this... but I really hope that future LPCC projects on kickstarters are something REALLY spectacular, rather than stuff which most would consider unexciting in comparison to previous LPCC works.‎
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:23 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you everyone for bringing this project to this amazing result. You believed in my work and I really appreciate it.

I was really struggling to find the right partner in the launch of this campain and eventually I found LPCC in the person of Lawrence Sullivan wich liked the deck from the beginning and really wanted this project come to life.

He has been a real friend, we exchanged more than 150 emails and he was always answering really quick.

Now that we are so close to the goal. I'm really happy to announce that Lawrence made the best decision I think could be made regarding playing card projects or any project in general.

He bet on it!

LPCC will risk betting on this project, they will take in account any more expenses that come from printing another deck. And as a designer I can't be more happy and honored at the same time, these days is difficult to find a person who is willing to bet on you and your work. Lawrence is that person.

That's how we are now able to release a new reward for the Light deck.

There are just two days left so spread the word and get the complete MEMENTO set!