« on: April 17, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

Re: Roulou - Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Not a fan of the courts. I like the theme and the backs are decent. There's just a saturation of KS projects with a lot of decks similar to or of the same quality as this one.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:19:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've grown exceptionally tired of seeing so many "minimalist" decks.  There's a fine line between high art and being utterly bereft of creativity.  This deck's on the wrong side of that line.

Wake me up when there's a real deck here, 'k?
[sleep][snore vol=max]
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »

vmagic

I've grown exceptionally tired of seeing so many "minimalist" decks.  There's a fine line between high art and being utterly bereft of creativity.  This deck's on the wrong side of that line.

Wake me up when there's a real deck here, 'k?
[sleep][snore vol=max]

Wait til you see the new American Standard deck on KS, lol.

I agree the court cards need some help, people will confuse the Q and K with 4 and 5 imo.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
I actually like the idea behind the design but the court cards are way too confusing.  I have now idea why you would put pips in there like a number card, if I saw that I would think of the number first before realizing it was a court.

I like minimalistic design when done right.  The hard part is doing it right.  It needs to be simple enough to be elegant but not too simple or else it just becomes lazy.

Edit: Just saw that the created changed the name of the project also, he's raising 12,000 pounds but the tuck boxes are a stretch goal????  How does that make sense? 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:18:24 PM by Shebhnt »

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I actually like the idea behind the design but the court cards are way too confusing.  I have now idea why you would put pips in there like a number card, if I saw that I would think of the number first before realizing it was a court.

I like minimalistic design when done right.  The hard part is doing it right.  It needs to be simple enough to be elegant but not too simple or else it just becomes lazy.

Edit: Just saw that the created changed the name of the project also, he's raising 12,000 pounds but the tuck boxes are a stretch goal????  How does that make sense?

It likely means that if he doesn't hit the stretch goal, they'll use some generic or unprinted paper or plastic box for the cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »

Duke Boy

But uncut sheets are only 8 pounds, who can say no to that, oh me I guess
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
I'm in agreement with Victor about how easy it is to confuse the court cards with low number cards.

There is no mention of the printer, and so it's immediately the handling is going to be suspect. 12k (and that too in pounds) is a massive target for someone who isn't Randy Butterfield or Jackson Robinson... and so I'd be very surprised if this project picks up £12k worth of funding.

I wish them all the very best though.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!