Ebru Deck - Drake Mabry (KS)

Author (Read 1269 times)

Ebru Deck - Drake Mabry (KS)
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Items of note. Shipping applies to all even in the US

Single deck price in the US $23. This is the early bird limited to 50.  Seems only 50 people can get the one deck before you have to get at least 2 decks which is also $8 shipping.  In fact 4 decks is also $8 shipping.  So if you get 4 decks you get them at $14.5 a pop

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/300553275/ebru-playing-cards-deck

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:04:57 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Ebru Deck - Drake Mabry (KS)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:38 PM »

Duke Boy

Wow he will have a long road to travel at this pricing.  I think he would have been better off pricing them at $20 and advertising free worldwide shipping.
10 - 4 over and out

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Props for originality, but yipes that's pricey. There really is no reason for that high of a price these days, even for a 1,000 deck run, when things like Fed52 or my decks can be offered with free US shipping for $10-12.

I get what he's doing with the pips, but the random placement does not do it any favors. Artsy decks are fine, but you can still make them usable. If you look at the back design (at least what I think the back is) you can see very clear anti-aliasing and fringed edges from where the color was cut out and placed on black. Gotta clean that kind of thing up.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I like the story about the whole water art thing but that's all. It is unique but the design and price are not my taste.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It's certainly interesting, but it's also confusing, scattered, inconsistent, and pricey.

Also, I feel like they'll just look muddy once they've been printed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:12:16 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »

Strag

• True Member
4 decks are $50 + 8 but 6 decks are $120 + $14?  How does that make sense.  This type of pricing gives me no confidence in the project.

I too like the art and pip placement but share concerns about ability to print in a way that will show them off well. 

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The art is attractive, but I have little confidence that they'll print out exactly as seen.  The darkness is too overwhelming and the bright areas are too small to not get totally lost in that darkness.  If they even slightly enlarged those bright pips, perhaps simply by zooming in tighter on the configuration, this might turn out a little better.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »

drakem

• Newcomer
Hello everyone,
About the Ebru Deck!
Yes, we misjudged our price at the beginning and added postage which we shouldn't have. We now offer free shipping for everyone to everywhere. Sorry for our miss-step.
A single deck now costs $15 and two decks $27 and on up. We changed this the second day of our project.
As for our colors, the printer can handle these easily. They will be made by Ivory Graphics which has a Sure-Slip finish that we actually prefer over Air-Cushion. But that is our personal taste.
The pips are not random, at least for us. They follow a kind of Fibonacci curve.
I happened on this site by chance and I would like to thank all of you for your thoughtful and considered comments.
all the best,
Drake

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I see the pips are following the golden spiral in Fibonacci numbers, but i have no idea why is it being used in here? I may be wrong, but Fibonacci numbers are used in mathematics, which would seem quite different from an "artsy" painting deck. The closest relation i can get to it is the usage of the golden ratio, which i believe in some form of arts, uses this theory.

I'm just asking simply because for a layman, the pips seem very irregularly placed if they have no idea of what Fibonacci numbers are. These plus a sequence with no relation to painting on water, which i imagine to be fluid and irregular, and definitely "non-golden ratio".