You are Here:
It's like we woke up everyday to see new decks coming up...

Author (Read 1534 times)

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Just wanna start a discussion on this.
Anyone agree?

It seems like decks are being released EVERYDAY.
And there is no sign that it would slow down.
I guess my wallet will eventually give up soon.

Re: It's like we woke up everyday to see new decks coming up...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I haven't been around custom cards for super long, but I'd tend to agree. It seems that when I started Tendril there were a few independent designers out there doing some stuff, and the big 3-4 companies were doing their thing routinely. That seemed to equal out to maybe a deck or two in a months time.

Now however it seems like there are dozens of little players (some of them doing good stuff, others just putting out amateur garbage). I'd guess that the obvious success of Kickstarter funding prompted a lot of people to throw their hats in the ring. Ultimately I guess this will mean that people have to be a little more selective with their collections unless they can afford to buy everything.

As a designer, I just want to focus on making the deck I want for myself, with the details and design that makes me happy and hope that everyone else appreciates my efforts.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
I've been a collector of various kinds of things since I was a kid, and I've seen this kind of thing again and again. And I'm not just talking about the amount of stuff being made that is targeted at the collector's market. The same comments I see where people are lamenting their area of collecting getting overrun.

Just keep in mind that there are cycles to collectables, and people will eventually get out. If you are willing to wait, you will have the luxury of being able to get all of the items you want for pennies on the dollar when people are no longer interested. During an emotional crisis that was most likely due to the death of my mom, I began collecting Hot Wheels at such a pace that at one point I was able to sell enough of my collection to take 18 months off work. I still have literally thousands of these cluttering up my house, many that were once worth $50-$100 each, that I'll be lucky to get more than a few bucks for - most will go to charities and children of friends.

In my view, the best thing you can do is to welcome us "carpetbaggers" and wait for us to sell off the pristine sealed decks of the cards you don't feel like buying now.  :karrit:

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
The aspect I like most about designing a deck is that you are the final say on all design decisions. Being in the design industry for many years has shown me that this is a very rare occurance!! Everyone including the Creative Director, Sales Rep, Marketing Team, the Client and even the Client's Lawyers have their input into the design of large programs. I've seen a lot of occasions where a very nice design has been turned to crap because of Client changes or because a Lawyer requires the legal copy to increase to "at least 1/4"h...

I agree that there's a lot of Kickstarter decks lately that are obviously done by amateur designers. The bad designs seem to get weeded out nicely by selective pledging by consumers.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Do you guys think that in 10 years your decks will be worht nothing?

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Keeping up with my wallet is getting harder, but my tastes haven't changed. It's still easy to pick out the good from the not-so-good, but I am amazed at the current rate releases are going.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
This rate is pretty impressive, but not much more than the one we had experienced in the end of 2011. I think it'll slow down after the end of summer, and even more after the holidays (in a little while, I know). Personally, I think that vintage decks are worth so much right now because they are limited and rare and beautiful. With tons of decks in large quantity on the market, I don't think ours will be worth much until at least 50 years. JMO.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Honestly, I don't really mind, I'll only get cards that I really like and at that I'll get duplicates to use. The red jaqks, look really nice and because of theory11 are bound to handle excellently. I'll definitely try and get some. For example, the NOC deck, Honestly I see no reason to get them as they feel that hardly any work has gone into them and therefore I didn't buy them.
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »

dcell59

• True Member
I'm not saying they will be worth nothing, just that they will most likely be easy to obtain for a low price at some point down the line. If you're patient, you'll be able to get what you like for cheap when people stop collecting.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I truly believe that the bubble has burst in many ways with regard to this hobby... The past year has seen far too many mediocre decks released and it seems that every silly goose with an idea (so many without talent) has found a way to get it produced... I have stopped purchasing many types of decks that, one year ago, I would have scrambled to purchase... Why?  Because for the most part, you can pick up most decks at any time (Americana, White Monarch)... And if they are overpriced (many times) they should eventually come down (LTD, White Monarch, Magic Con II)... I will also say confidently that most of the decks released right now will be worth nothing or very little in the future years to come... Just look at the collectible decks like the Tax Stamp New Fan Backs that I just auctioned off and received $23 for... I am besides myself given what I paid for the deck and will not be auctioning any vintage decks at a low starting bid again... I took such a bath on this deck, but the fact I'm getting at is that here is an extremely rare and vintage deck that is absolutely beautiful and the market saw the value at $23... Vintage decks such as this should sell for $80 - $120... So what do you really think all these BULL$#!T kickstarter and self produced decks will be worth down the line?  The hobby, as far as I am concerned, has jumped the shark and I am far more particular in what I collect these days... I am still in the process of consolidating my collection, so keep your eyes out for more auctions and thanks for everyone that participated... There is hope for some decks to increase in value considerably, but very few... In closing I would say collect what you love, and love what you collect...

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Do you guys think that in 10 years your decks will be worht nothing?

Should it matter?

They're playing cards.  I play with them!  I use them in magic routines.  I don't buy every deck that comes out because I think it will be valuable - I buy what I like because I like it and I want to use it.

Anyone who's collecting strictly for future value is going to be in for a big surprise.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:45:21 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Anyone who's collecting strictly for future value is going to be in for a big surprise.

Damn, it makes me clearly see how foolish I've been with regard to my collecting in the past... Keep buying bricks of Blue Tunes Decks and bricks of Ace Fulton Decks... I was once there people, but I've seen the light... I hope you do as well... Too much foolishness and the hobby I love is just being mucked up by garbage... I'm saving for real estate while the market is still depressed... I'm really cooling it with the cards for now... A few here and there... Maybe some trades... As Don said... "A big surprise."

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

Damn, it makes me clearly see how foolish I've been with regard to my collecting in the past... Keep buying bricks of Blue Tunes Decks and bricks of Ace Fulton Decks... I was once there people, but I've seen the light... I hope you do as well... Too much foolishness and the hobby I love is just being mucked up by garbage... I'm saving for real estate while the market is still depressed... I'm really cooling it with the cards for now... A few here and there... Maybe some trades... As Don said... "A big surprise."
:karrit: :karrit: :karrit:

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 04:38:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
This isn't a hobby to make money in, believe me.  Sure, it can happen here and there, but if you aren't buying cards you really like, and buying solely for the purposes of watching it appreciate in value, what pleasure is there?

As far as the collectors who love to put the still-pristine packs on their shelves to look at rather than crack them open to play with, well...  If that's what gives you pleasure, real pleasure, then go ahead, knock yourself out.  But as an "investment"?  You're nuts.

Same thing for people collecting uncut sheets.  I have some, and they're things of beauty.  But I'm hanging on to them because they have meaning for me - each one was given to me as a gift from a famous magician!  I could care less if they're worth a trillion dollars or 99 cents in the future - I'm fine with it either way.  Buying so many sheets that you can't even display them in your home?  That's a little overboard.  At the least, if they were framed and you rotated which ones were on display now and then, that would be cool.  (Hell, that would be REALLY cool - it'd be like your home was a card museum/art gallery!)  But owning them just to be able to say "I own this!" or "This will put my kids through college when I have kids!" is crazy.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Be sure, I'm not that kind of collector. That was only a question you know. Cause I feel like, the decks I'm owning are only the decks I like. I'm not using them, cause I like having them displayed just like that. I will be selling a whole part of my collection in the future, cause If I want to continue this, I'll have to sell some. I asked this question, cause If I have to sell them, I want to do it the right moment. Not saying I want to sell them, but just, If the need is there, I still want to have something for it. I love every deck of cards I have, and If I could I would keep them, but I can't. So that's why I'm asking... :)

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
DIGIPUNK!!!!!!  How long have you been lurking around???? Good to see you....