Author (Read 1797 times)

D&D Variety Box April 2015
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
ADMIN NOTE: this was split from a topic that covered more than one product.  It started with this post:

Hi Folks,

Its been far too long since I posted last, but watching my little boy grow takes up some time!

Surprised to see (unless I have it wrong) that there have been no comments so far on the Variety Box release or the Aristocrats Classics?

I bypassed the box but picked up a pair of decks - by the community silence have I made a bad move.....?

I hope you are all well.

Its not a bad box, 6 of the decks are "new" and right now it has the price tag of $125.00USD

This is the list:

Borderline
Guy Hollingworth

Aristocrat® Classic, Blue

Smoke & Mirrors, v6
Antler Limited Ed.
Alice in Wonderland

DeckStarter Brand Deck

Prime
ULTIMATE DECK
Vintage Plaid, Calif Blue
Blue Fontaine's

Virtuoso 2015

At approx  $10.00USD a pop its a good box, I took the liberty of putting in bold the decks that are "worth it" cost wise. Of course thats according to my perception.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:07:16 AM by Don Boyer »
Form Follows Function

Re: D&D Variety Box April 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:36 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
It's fun seeing what other people think are the worth it decks. I love how opinions very so much from collector to collector, and each absolutely have valid points. My list of worth it decks are a little different here but I do agree the value is there on this box. The unfortunate aspect is that so many of these decks were just pumped into the last box. This is what gets me about the Variety boxes and why I tend to only pick up one a year, if that.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:30:19 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It does seem that D&D keeps re-using leftover decks for their variety boxes. In a way, it is their method to balance out their cost and the "value" of the box as well as to clear non-moving decks.

But comparatively, this box seems like a better deal compared to some of their previous ones. And since i have not bought any D&D boxes in awhile, there are some decks in there that i could get. It is worth considering for me...and i believe that's how D&D gets some of their customers... :(

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 03:05:30 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I was really tempted to buy VB but considering D&D makes a series of VB, I became somewhat reluctant to get them.
Considering that not all of the cards are appealing to me. If it is just a few cards that I am interested then I will save some $$, just by buying those decks.
Back for more

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
 ???

The deckstarter deck that was $100.00USD in ArtofPlay.com is now only $10.00USD...

Wow... that really kills that box for me.

Its not that i wanted that deck in particular, but knowing that the deck was way more expensive, makes me think about the people that actually bought one...

I feel "betrayed" because they have been changing a lot of prices "arbitrarily"
Form Follows Function

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:35:35 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
???

The deckstarter deck that was $100.00USD in ArtofPlay.com is now only $10.00USD...

Wow... that really kills that box for me.

Its not that i wanted that deck in particular, but knowing that the deck was way more expensive, makes me think about the people that actually bought one...

I feel "betrayed" because they have been changing a lot of prices "arbitrarily"

D&D often reprint decks. If it's a deck you like, then it's a good thing. If it's a deck you don't like but someone else does, it's a good thing right?  This is probably the case with the deck you mentioned. They popped off for a second print and now there's 2,500 more of them. It'll drive the price down and open it up for more people to use.

I think that the Variety Box has value here. Most of the decks included are valued at $10 or just over sans the Hollingworth deck which obviously has a higher street price. That's what it comes down to I think isn't it? The street price of the decks vs the price of the Variety Box is still a solid value.

I wouldn't feel betrayed myself although I can understand it. 
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:30:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

D&D often reprint decks. If it's a deck you like, then it's a good thing. If it's a deck you don't like but someone else does, it's a good thing right?  This is probably the case with the deck you mentioned. They popped off for a second print and now there's 2,500 more of them. It'll drive the price down and open it up for more people to use.

Often?  Really?  They never "reprinted" any of the S&M decks, or the Fulton's decks - most of what they release is specifically limited editions, sold until they're gone.  They also rarely release figures for how many decks they do print, but their typical print run is in the ballpark of 20,000, not 2,500.

Hecrob is absolutely correct in that the pricing of their decks is very arbitrary on the Art of Play website.  No sane and knowledgeable card collector would pay $88 for a Fulton's Chinatown deck, but that's what they listed it as.  Meanwhile, the original retail was $8.88 and it took four months to sell out, give or take, despite having only made 5,000 decks.  It was a rare exception and the first time they actually announced the size of a print run.  The only time D&D have done it since, to my knowledge, was for their S&M version 7 sets.  The recent release of Aristocrats don't really count as they never ordered them printed - they're vintage decks in new boxes, that's all.

As far as anyone knows, the stock at Art of Play isn't reprints.  It's operated like a non-producer retailer - though the handling of their own decks is a little peculiar.

Fulton's Chinatown isn't the only example.  Some of their pricing is in line with what the market will bear, but a few decks here and there are priced at insanely high rates for no special reason other than that the Bucks felt like making them that price, regardless of how well or poorly they sell.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:32:08 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:28:26 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Ultimate deck was reprinted and the version available on Art of Play is the reprint, from my understanding. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the Deckstarter deck was reprinted as well. I would be stunned to hear they were sitting on 20,000 of those. If their run is large enough they wouldn't need a reprint of the thing. I don't think the seventh edition of S&M deck is a real indication of what they printed other decks at. It may be an indication of how large a print run Antlers has seen though.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ultimate deck was reprinted and the version available on Art of Play is the reprint, from my understanding. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the Deckstarter deck was reprinted as well. I would be stunned to hear they were sitting on 20,000 of those. If their run is large enough they wouldn't need a reprint of the thing. I don't think the seventh edition of S&M deck is a real indication of what they printed other decks at. It may be an indication of how large a print run Antlers has seen though.

Ultimate was a special project, something originally just for Stranger & Stranger as part of their Christmas gift to VIPs.  That it was reprinted doesn't surprise me at all.

As far as Deckstarter - anything is possible.  They never stated how many were made in the first place.  They rarely do.

But for pretty much every other release they've had, there were no reprints made - they were made, they sold, done.  S&M V7's decks that copy some of the previous designs (with standard faces instead of the original ones) don't count as reprints of the earlier versions - they're just part of V7, a release with six decks in total.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:58:29 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
As far as Deckstarter - anything is possible.  They never stated how many were made in the first place.  They rarely do.

Did they not claim there were like only 500 or so in the initial stage, which resulted in a big hoo haa afterwards? Of course i do not believe that only 500 were made, but at least that was what was mentioned.

So apart from the initial 500, the "new" decks could very well be a reprint.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:59:18 AM by PurpleIce »

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 11:34:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Did they not claim there were like only 500 or so in the initial stage, which resulted in a big hoo haa afterwards? Of course i do not believe that only 500 were made, but at least that was what was mentioned.

So apart from the initial 500, the "new" decks could very well be a reprint.

Honestly, I don't know.  Good luck finding the page they said it on.  Anything's possible, there could be reprints.