« on: March 16, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
via http://52cartes.wordpress.com/

Sold here: http://mymagic.com/cards.htm

"A dark grey deck of Bicycle cards released by the U.S. Playing Card Co. to support wounded soldiers. As the box explains,”$.15 will be donated to WWP (Wounded Warrior Project) for each deck sold.” The dark grey? Bicycle design features standard faces except that the picture cards have been partially blacked out. The deck includes two standard jokers and a custom ace of spades.
 Manufactured by the U.S. Playing Card Company, it is referred to as the "Wounded Warrior Project" playing cards. The cards are printed in Kentucky on Bicycle stock using the Air-Cushion Finish and are the standard poker size with standard faces. (You get three Wounded Warrior Project decks).
 US $17.95"

CBJ
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:03:34 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: NEW DECK -- Bicycle Wounded Warrior
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Yes they are suppose to be available around April 1st.
Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Thanks!

Hey,

Do you have better pics of this deck??

and..
On UC there's a member saying that the white Bicycle Vision decks will be hitting the market next week... do you have any info on this??

CBJ
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:59:45 PM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Thanks!

Hey,

Do you have better pics of this deck??

and..
On UC there's a member saying that the white Bicycle Vision decks will be hitting the market next week... do you have any info on this??

CBJ
The picture I have of the Wounded Warrior decks was given to me a few months ago and is not any better. The Bicycle White Vision decks are done and should ship to us next week. I will post when we have them in stock. We will also be carrying the maiden back decks in red and blue when they become available.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:13:26 PM by bmpokerworld »

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
Are the bicycle white vision decks going to cost a lot or around $10 ?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
I am not sure on the finally pricing yet as I do not know if they are shipping from the US or overseas.
Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
But they will probably be in the $12- $13 range.
Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
These kinda look like a ripoff of the tsunami relief decks. JMO. Cool nonetheless.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

" The Bicycle White Vision decks are done and should ship to us next week. "

Do you have a pic you could share??
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:58:31 PM by CBJ »

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member

" The Bicycle White Vision decks are done and should ship to us next week. "

Do you have a pic you could share??

I do have pictures. But to be honest they do not want me to share them so I can't. I am really not sure why, since the decks are on their way and will be into us very shortly. But I have to respect their wishes, it is their deck. I hope everyone understands
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:09:00 PM by bmpokerworld »

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Fair enough. We could wait for another week or so.
So the wounded warriors. Who's actually running the project?

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:37:11 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I mean, I'd like to get the cards and I wouldn't mind paying the $18 per deck plus shipping but not if only 15 Cents of each purchase is going to the Vets... How disrespectful...

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Fair enough. We could wait for another week or so.
So the wounded warriors. Who's actually running the project?
The Wounded Warrior Project is a charity in itself so I wouldn't be surprised if they commisioned the cards themselves.

I mean, I'd like to get the cards and I wouldn't mind paying the $18 per deck plus shipping but not if only 15 Cents of each purchase is going to the Vets... How disrespectful...
If I'm not mistaken, each deck is $5.98. The $17.95 is for three decks. I don't know whether that makes it more respectable or not. $5.98 is a typical price for a new deck who give 0 cents to a charity. So, 15 cents is better than none. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if these are distributed to the masses through normal retail chains rather than being for card enthusiasts (like the Charity: water decks by T11). That way the $0.15 will go a long way.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:48:58 PM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Pardon me, I didn't see that was for three decks, and yes it's a lot better, but they still sure as hell they could give more than 15 cents per deck... I'd pay $1 more per deck if I knew they were giving $1.50 or so to the charity... However, given they're $6 a deck, I'll pick some up...

Wow... Is Meir Yedid's website the only place you can get these cards?  Do you all know Meir Yedid?  He used to teach at Tannens Magic Camp... I attended for two or three years when I was younger...  Damn I'm getting old...

Crazy, Crazy Stuff... Meir Yedid invented the disappearing pinky (fingers)... Amazing Stuff... He was  flawless at making his fingers disappear... Then years later, he got into a car accident and lost his fingers in the crash... True Story... Just one of those stories that gives you the shakes...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:09:41 PM by jmrock »

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Pardon me, I didn't see that was for three decks, and yes it's a lot better, but they still sure as hell they could give more than 15 cents per deck... I'd pay $1 more per deck if I knew they were giving $1.50 or so to the charity... However, given they're $6 a deck, I'll pick some up...
I would get these decks if they were giving $4 to the charity. :mindf-ck:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:30:05 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Thanks again to 52cartes!

http://52cartes.wordpress.com/

here's a better pic

CBJ

(click pic for larger view)

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I actually think it'd be better if the pips of hearts and diamonds were black too.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

15 cents is the exact same amount that USPC gives with the current issue Breast Cancer deck.  It used to be ALL profits.  This may not have been a commission - it could simply be a charitable act on USPC's part, even if it does seem a little stingy.  Better they give something rather than nothing at all.

I actually think it'd be better if the pips of hearts and diamonds were black too.

It's not a magician's deck or a flourisher's deck - it's a standard deck meant for wide sale to raise money for a cause.  Making all the pips black would have seriously reduced the appeal of this deck to the common card player.  Y'know, those guys who buy a jillion more decks than all the magicians and cardists in the world combined...  They kept close to the standard-issue Bike faces with only subtle and minor tweaks that don't affect card play.  Ever try playing Klondike solitaire (or most other solitaire games, or any of the countless games requiring two suit colors) with a one-color deck?  It gets annoying fast.

If this deck was all-black as you proposed and I put it on my poker table, my fellow players would look at it for a few moments then ask where the regular cards are.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:20 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I wouldn't entirely agree with that. I've got friends who like to play with those Tigers and love them!
I just thought it adds a bit of the sense of mourning to it if it was all black and white.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 02:39:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I wouldn't entirely agree with that. I've got friends who like to play with those Tigers and love them!
I just thought it adds a bit of the sense of mourning to it if it was all black and white.

Are you talking the all-white Black Tigers, the white-&-red Black Tigers, the Hanshin Tigers, the LSU Tigers, Tiger 565s, Yangzhou Jinyi Stationery Co. Tigers, Tiger Airways, Happy Tiger, Gold Tiger...?  (Yes, before you ask: those are all playing card decks for sale and/or out-of-print!)

If you mean the all-white BTs, then your friends are the exception, not the rule.  Drop these at a table in a poker club and see how much play they get.  I doubt anyone would even break the seal.

"Sense of mourning?"  The Wounded Warrior Project helps the injured survivors, not the dead!  What are you mourning, exactly?

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
You had a clear idea of which Tiger I was talking about, I didn't think you had to talk in such tone.
Well tell me this then, how many out there, in the general public, actually use these custom cards that we know about during their regular poker night?

Mourning may have been a bad choice of word, but you know what I'm saying. The court cards has been adjusted to black and white, I just thought the pips should too.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You had a clear idea of which Tiger I was talking about, I didn't think you had to talk in such tone.
Well tell me this then, how many out there, in the general public, actually use these custom cards that we know about during their regular poker night?

Mourning may have been a bad choice of word, but you know what I'm saying. The court cards has been adjusted to black and white, I just thought the pips should too.

Forgive me if my tone sounded harsh to you.

If you want a clear idea as to what people use more often than not at the poker table, look at the poker tables of the WSOP or the WPT.  Standard faces, bridge sized, 100% plastic.  What do many casual poker players use?  The number one selling deck in the country: Bicycle Standard Rider Backs in blue and red.  Serious players - and anyone playing for money is a serious player - tend as a group to like their cards to be simple, leaving no room for misinterpretation.  It's why the PokerPeek faces USPC made for the 2007 WSOP Championships were such a huge flop - while it seems simple enough to most people, some players were confusing the sixes with the nines and vice versa.

Aesthetically, I get where you're coming from on this.  But from a practical standpoint, you don't want to mess with success too much here, and the Bicycle face is a success.  The goal is to sell as many decks as possible - even if it wasn't a charity fundraiser deck - so they didn't want to go too crazy as far as design...  I have a few all-one-color decks (Bicycle Black Tigers all-white, Tally Ho Viper Circle Back, Bicycle Skull Deck) as well as the color-in-the-index-only decks (Bicycle Ghost, Bicycle Black Ghost, Bicycle Gargoyles).  The former are terrible for most card games, great for magic or flourishes, the latter is not as bad but still not as simple as a traditionally-colored deck.  And four-color decks (Bicycle Lo-Vision, Bicycle Tattoo) are another headache altogether!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:19:10 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 04:19:38 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Wait you're getting me wrong. That's exactly what I was saying. Not many people actually use custom cards. All those you mentioned that were used in WSOP tournaments are standardized. And that's the reason why I said this deck could be more customized than it is right now.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 04:40:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Wait you're getting me wrong. That's exactly what I was saying. Not many people actually use custom cards. All those you mentioned that were used in WSOP tournaments are standardized. And that's the reason why I said this deck could be more customized than it is right now.

In 2007, WSOP and USPC introduced the PokerPeek card face.  It had small diagonal indices in all four corners, and in the center it had a face like a jumbo deck, and two large value indices, one high and left, the other upside down low and right.  They did not have a suit, and there were no indicators with the sixes and nines to indicate whether you were seeing them right-side up or upside-down.  It was as non-standard as they get - and it was so insanely unpopular with the players, they had to dig up some old, still-sealed decks from the '06 tournament and replace the '07 model.  Since then, the WSOP decks have been totally bog-standard Bicycle bridge faces with standard indices.

I understand that the deck could be more customized.  But straying too far from standard, such as making a monochrome deck, would in this case hurt sales more than help them.  There are practically no people outside of the small fraternity of magicians, cardists and collectors that buy monochrome decks.  As simple as it might sound to you, it's a radical concept to the normal player who's never seen a really custom deck of cards like an Artifice or a Sentinels.  The most radical idea they've seen is probably a Lo-Vision deck...  While no deck is printed forever, this deck isn't meant to be a limited run like other magic/cardistry-related decks often are - they're trying to raise money for a charity (as well as line their pockets under the thin guise of doing good deeds) so they want as many people to want and use these decks as they can get.  For all I know, it will be the next recurring charity deck, just like the three Breast Cancer decks they've created so far.

I think this side conversation is beginning to get away from the real topic, that of the actual deck as it is now and as it will be in stores very soon, as opposed to what it should have been and why/why not.  Would've, could've nor should've will change this deck one bit, will it?  It's a done deal, printed, shipped and hitting the shelves.

Does anyone else want to chime in on their thoughts about this deck as it exists in the here and now?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:44:18 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »

Gareth

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Kickstarter:
In 2007, WSOP and USPC introduced the PokerPeek card face.  It had small diagonal indices in all four corners, and in the center it had a face like a jumbo deck, and two large value indices, one high and left, the other upside down low and right.  They did not have a suit, and there were no indicators with the sixes and nines to indicate whether you were seeing them right-side up or upside-down.  It was as non-standard as they get - and it was so insanely unpopular with the players, they had to dig up some old, still-sealed decks from the '06 tournament and replace the '07 model.  Since then, the WSOP decks have been totally bog-standard Bicycle bridge faces with standard indices.
Off-topic...

There are a couple of errors in what you posted Don.  The "poker peek' did show the suit pips as well as the numbers, however many players got confused - especially with the 6's and 9's - when used at a distance face up on the table, and the suits were difficult to see.  The WSOP quickly got USPCC (aka KEM) to print new decks.

This is a scan of one of my WSOP 2007 Poker Peek decks;

And here is the same cards on the reprint;

You will notice several things;
  • The new decks actually have standard size indices - rather than Jumbo in the originals.
  • The decks are made by KEM, and use KEM faces, despite being branded Bicycle and use a variation of the rider back in part of the back design.
  • The spelling of the commissioners name on the reprints was corrected (Jeffrey rather than Jeffery).
Here is a article from the time which explains it fairly clearly. As the Bicycle brand were major sponsors of the WSOP in that year (and 2008 I vaguely remember), they would be unlikely to use the 2006 decks as they were sourced from Copag  :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:46:37 AM by Gareth »

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, I was going by the present issue Bicycle Pro Poker-Peek decks, which are as I described.  But this is all SO FAR OFF-TOPIC - just lay it to rest or start a new topic, please.  We're talking about the Wound Warrior deck, remember?

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 02:00:23 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
You can buy the Wounded Warrior decks directly from Bicycle for $3.99 each

and the Jacked-Up decks as well for $5.99 per game...

here...

http://www.shopbicyclecards.com/Bicycle-Cards-C42.aspx

CBJ

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 01:07:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You can buy the Wounded Warrior decks directly from Bicycle for $3.99 each

and the Jacked-Up decks as well for $5.99 per game...

here...

http://www.shopbicyclecards.com/Bicycle-Cards-C42.aspx

CBJ

Good eye.  I honestly think this deck will start popping up in the big-box stores and pharmacy chains really soon, if they aren't there already.

And Meir Yedid was selling them in three-packs for $6 a deck?  Yeesh...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:08:32 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 01:47:50 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Not cool... He got me & I fell for it... Paid $19 for three - so $7 for shipping... And I knew Meir...

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
I just wanted to let everyone know, we will be matching the $.15 donation for every deck purchased from us as well!!!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:14:23 PM by bmpokerworld »

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I just wanted to let everyone know, we will be matching the $15 donation for every deck purchased from us as well!!!
Thanks!

Will you be carrying the 2 versions of the New Era deck?

and the Jacked Up decks?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:16:42 PM by CBJ »

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
Definitely the jacked up decks.
Thanks!

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 03:45:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just got a few packs of this deck and cracked one open.  I didn't realize it from the photos, but they're not simply printed in shades of gray.  The background around the "Bicycle" logo on the tuck box and the clothing details on the court cards are all done in what appears to be a variant of urban digital camouflage.  It's pretty nice, really.

The Joker looked a little strange, until I realized why.  Until very recently, it was always a monochrome design - black on white, no shading.  Then came the WalMart Rider Backs with the color Joker that some love and some hate.  For this one, in keeping with the deck's gray theme, it's the color version of the Joker but with all the colors changed to gray.  The "grayscale Joker" appears on both the full Joker and the guarantee Joker.