t11 Playing Card Display now available.

Author (Read 1818 times)

t11 Playing Card Display now available.
« on: October 09, 2014, 12:09:58 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Looking at the edges of this. I can't tell if this is made of multi-layer cardboard, or a MDF type material.

theory11

4 hrs  ยท

Design deserves to be displayed. This Friday at 11:00am EST, something new to house your collection.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:07:44 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: t11 Playing Card Display coming 10/10/2014
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah I gotta say, from that picture, it really doesn't look like it's made of very high quality material... Would be nice to have if it is though!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Those 3 squares on the side appear to be mortise and tenon joints which means it's likely glued together with 6 proper joints.  That would imply wooden construction and from the edges likely higher quality plywood.  Totally the wrong kind of display for me as I only do enclosed glass cases, but this may have potential for others.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
To me, it's obviously plywood construction with laser etching of design. If you look at the brown painted edges, you can very clearly see the multiple layers of wood characteristic of plywood. It's a high grade plywood. I completely agree on the mortise/tenon joints as well. From the look of them, it's a precision fit, so this would appear to be a very high quality unit.

It may very well be completely laser cut, especially when you look at the precision around the ace cutout.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:50:26 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Laser cut plywood with laser etching. I really like it, I wonder if they are going to do multiple sizes to accommodate more or fewer decks. I wouldn't mind a large 20 or 30 deck display like this...
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
There is not a lot of room for a large collection.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There is not a lot of room for a large collection.

Yeah, most individual displays don't have anything near enough room for an entire collection.  Certainly not as large as mine.

It looks like plywood of a decent quality.  As I see it, it's the kind of display that's more meant for holding your "short list" of decks you'll grab as you're heading out the door - the playing card version of a key rack.  Total capacity of 24 decks, stacked in pairs - I usually don't leave the house without a pair of decks, usually a straight deck with identical jokers and a stripper deck.  I occasionally grab a marked deck, but most of my marked decks are expensive or have a complicated system to remember or are rare - that is, at least until my new marked 1800s arrive!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:30:25 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Its not really impressive. It does look to be made of cabinet grade birch plywood, but its a design I could probable replicate in about 30 minutes in my shop minus the scroll work (advertising)...
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Will, very true.

A plexi hinged cover would be a nice touch, but then we would be talking about a probable astronomical price. I agree with Don...maybe a "Grab and go" type holder versus a "Displaying some of my collector decks" type of unit.

$35...that's actually reasonable...  https://store.theory11.com/products/deck-display
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:37:28 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
It'd also work to display cards behind if you put it in a glass front cabinet, I guess? Still, I'm not loving the way the finish looks to me...

Don, I only see space for 20 decks effective 4 rows of 5 columns... Where are the last 4 hiding?!

Weirdly, the T11 site actually says it can hold 40 (?!) decks...

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 12:15:19 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
It'd also work to display cards behind if you put it in a glass front cabinet, I guess? Still, I'm not loving the way the finish looks to me...

Don, I only see space for 20 decks effective 4 rows of 5 columns... Where are the last 4 hiding?!

Most of the pictures show the decks laid back. If you stand the decks up almost strait, looks like 2 tiers 4 deep x 5 wide.

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 02:36:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You are correct, I misspoke, remembering the photo and assuming that it was six decks wide.

As far as holding forty - sure, why not?  Just because they show it holding only twenty, doesn't mean it doesn't have room for twice as many; in this case, four to a "stack", five stacks to a row, two rows.  Rob is correct - the decks are shown heavily tilted, probably to show off the deck faces a bit better - I'm guessing at full capacity the thing looks a bit too crowded.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Good point about standing them straight up, and that they'd probably look a bit crowded set up like that...

Has anybody actually order one (or more) of these? Would be interested to see some (non-promotional) pictures...

Re: t11 Playing Card Display now available.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
It's a cool idea. I think it looks a little cheap though, like it is made from particle board.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 01:48:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's a cool idea. I think it looks a little cheap though, like it is made from particle board.

It's not particle board.  You can see the layers of the wood at the edges - it's plywood.  Particle board has no layers.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:10 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
In all honesty, only thing this thing makes me want to do is pick up some Tycoons. The tucks look beautiful and really stand out well against the others shown on the display. The display itself, hmm. They can do almost anything with a laser cutter and some fine grit sandpaper. It's looks too plain to me, not really flexing the creative muscle there are they?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In all honesty, only thing this thing makes me want to do is pick up some Tycoons. The tucks look beautiful and really stand out well against the others shown on the display. The display itself, hmm. They can do almost anything with a laser cutter and some fine grit sandpaper. It's looks too plain to me, not really flexing the creative muscle there are they?

Sure, plain.  But also effective and comparably inexpensive.  Like I said, it's more of a rack to hold your current selection of go-to decks than a proper display - it looks like a sales rack from a store, back in the days when they still used wood for that sort of thing.  For that reason alone I'm tempted to get one.

PS - it's probably also good for holding empty Pack Jackets and deck clips...  One-stop gearing-up for the magician or cardist on the go!

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:54:45 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I would love somethjng like this to display my favorite decks front and center with the rest of my collection around it, it's a simple, yes, but elegant way to show off some decks. I would love to see if I could get one made locally that could be large enough to display four or five rows of 12 decks in one large teired display rack.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 04:01:13 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
PS - it's probably also good for holding empty Pack Jackets and deck clips...  One-stop gearing-up for the magician or cardist on the go!

Good point, and suddenly this may not be too bad after all. I'll stick with current loading zone, simple burl valet, I hadn't even considered using this for that.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)