Sophia Rae Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 8095 times)

Re: Sophia Rae Playing Cards by V Playing Cards Co
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 04:37:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello guys i'm the creator of Sophia Rae Playing Cards and I will love to know what you guys think about this amazing deck, thank you guys! Thank you also for the support.

Hey guys! I'm new at this and I didn't knew there's was a place like this and I think is pretty awesome! I know some of you guys don't like them that much! But I'm sorry to hear that! This deck is dedicated to my daughter and I try to combine my passion for cards and the unconditionally love for my daughter, I'm really excited and hope you guys like them!

Hey guys well first about the pictures that I upload was a misunderstanding, I already talk to Jackson about this and I apologize to him, I was just trying to make an idea of what I wanned to sell, also I have nothing agains the number one the number is my daughters birthday, all this design is about her, sorry again about the hash tag was an accident that I post trying to Wright #kinds, but we'll hope this could give you an idea of all this, thank you again.

Hey guys! So I understand there's was a problem about the pictures and I already talked to Jackson about it so he knows the situation, I already apologize to him, and about hash tag, it was a mistake I was trying to add #kins that's why and I don't have anything against number 6 haha, and all this design is dedicated to my daughter, and the numbers is my daughter's birthday, also the faces of cards will be up this week but there's no changes in the court cards only the color is the one that is changing, I know a few don't like this deck but I understand I just hope I can clear some of the things.

OK, first - SLOW DOWN A LITTLE, catch your breath...  Your photos didn't even load correctly, but I wouldn't be too worried about it since we already have the images from your KS project page.

Second - welcome to the Discourse.  We're glad to have you.  When you have a moment, please stop by our "Introduce Yourself" board and make a new topic so we can get a chance to get to know you a little better.

Third - we try to keep it down to a single topic per deck on the Plethora, so it makes information easier to find.  I merged your new topic with this pre-existing one.

Fourth - we also advocate editing a post to add more information if it's only moments later and no one has posted since.  I've combined all four of your posts into a single post.

Fifth - about the deck (finally)...

You're telling us about the deck being about your daughter, that it's a commemorative of her in a way.  Well, I understand you like to refer to her as "dear", but putting a MALE BUCK on the back of your card is probably not the best idea for a deck about a young girl.  It looks a lot more like an attempt to make a deck that looks like something the Buck Twins, a.k.a. Dan and Dave, world famous magicians, card flourishers and playing card creators, would have created.  Especially when you put antlers on the jokers.  Female deer (and hopefully "female dear" as well) do NOT have antlers like the horns you're showing us.  The Bucks have already used a similar motif in some of their designs.

Additionally, as it was pointed out, your design seems somewhat derivative of other recent deck designs that have been released over the past several months.  Perhaps something more original might be in order, something that's more likely to catch people's attention in a positive way?  Because in its present state, your project doesn't convey your passion for cards OR your daughter as much as it conveys a desire to copy previously-successful ideas in the hopes that lightning will strike twice in the same place.  (In reality, it actually does, but that's neither here nor there...)

The odd geometry in the Ace of Spades doesn't help this design either.  I can't see any good reason for that to be there other than the lack of a better idea - and as reasons go, that's really not what I'd call "good" by any stretch of the imagination.

Tagging other people in Instagram is also not exactly the best thought-out idea for capturing a serious audience of card collectors.  It looks more like a ploy to grab attention.  It has, but the attention isn't positive.  That whole thing about any publicity, even bad publicity, being good publicity isn't really very reflective of reality.

Were I in your shoes, I would stop.  Close the KS project.  Consider what it is about your passion for cards and for your daughter that really ignite something in you, and find a way to put that to paper.  Make a wholly original design.  If I lacked the skills to do so, I'd hire an artist - there's no shortage of them on the Internet in places like Behance and DeviantArt.

This, however, I'd shelve.  Of course, this is your project and you live in a free country, where people are largely permitted to do as they wish so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights or safety of others.  But I'm telling you this as an experienced playing card design and development consultant with a number of successful clients.  In its present state, few people in the playing card collecting community will take this project seriously, and you'll have spent your time and effort with nothing to show for it but an unsuccessful experience.

If indeed you are serious about this deck and you do decide to fold this project and really want to make something worthwhile out of it, make a new topic for it in the Design and Development board - we permit a topic there and a topic here, because Design/Dev is the planning stages while Plethora is the execution of those plans into reality.  Think up some ideas, call out to our many members for more, ask questions, request suggestions, whatever it takes.  With luck, hard work and time, you'll be able to bang this design into something people are eager and drooling over themselves to own.

I wish you good luck and no ill will, Adrian.

Cheers,
Don
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Sophia Rae Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 05:36:20 AM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Thank you for taking your time, but I have my own way of thinking and telling me to close my KS project is professional enough for you  then I don't agree with you! Everyone has de ability to create and design what they want, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but one thing, you will never speak about my daughter or tell me how to portrait my design, you don't make the rules and you don't make the decisions. To make the story short, you don't like it then I don't Fucking care and also don't buy it.

Cheers
Adrian V. :)

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Thank you for taking your time, but I have my own way of thinking and telling me to close my KS project is professional enough for you  then I don't agree with you! Everyone has de ability to create and design what they want, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but one thing, you will never speak about my daughter or tell me how to portrait my design, you don't make the rules and you don't make the decisions. To make the story short, you don't like it then I don't Fucking care and also don't buy it.

Cheers
Adrian V. :)

Well that's a real classy response. Or not!!
Adrian, that response will probably hurt your project, and reputation, more than the design ever did.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »

NOMAD DESIGN

I'll take my chances, don't need to pretend to be someone that I'm not! I don't like the comment so I answer how I felt it was the right thing, but thank you for the heads up. Like I said I'll take my chances.

Adrian V.

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
I think some context might be in order given your relative inexperience on the forum. From what I've seen Don tends to give design ideas and feedback to most decks whose creators appear on the forums. I don't believe any disrespect was meant by his comment on the originality of the deck, but even you must admit the striking similarities of your deck to others such as the rounders and whispering imps v2. Coming on the forums and being rude will not make you many friends, much less convince people to support your deck. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »

volantangel

• True Member
I'll take my chances, don't need to pretend to be someone that I'm not! I don't like the comment so I answer how I felt it was the right thing, but thank you for the heads up. Like I said I'll take my chances.

Adrian V.

Your chances are not good to say the least. This is not my place to dish out critcism, its a different story if you come to my homeground. But yea, realll classyy, if you dont care about the consumers, why would the consumers care about you?

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I responded to this thread but decided to omit my response as he's posted Don's responses on Instagram and has tried to use mob mentality to his advantage by portraying Don as unsupportive and a hater: http://instagram.com/p/nP_f8MnyCE/

I'd really rather not have my response taken out of context and have random people criticize me for the wrong reasons.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:05:47 PM by Sher143 »

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Adrian, you have got to be one of the most rudest and most stubborn individual I've ever come across, and I've come across quite a few on here. I've taken the liberty to post this on the comments section of your project to give people an idea of the kind of project creator you are. You were offered constructive criticism, which you so badly need, but your rude manners will cost you future backers.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Well.... seems like the forum got the best of him. I do not know many people who drop the F bomb when their project gets criticized. Might be the first for the forum if I am not mistaken.

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 01:21:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I still bear Adrian no ill will.  I just think it's a lost opportunity to really make something special, something that could truly spark people's desire rather than being a weak signal in a bandwidth filled with noise.

The fact that he chose to be unprofessional in his comments would seem to indicate that I hit a nerve and he wasn't very fond of that - perhaps I was closer to the mark than he cares to admit.  Regardless, I don't let his comments bother me in the least, as it's the opinion of a single man, no better or worse than any other.  I count the list of people whose opinions about me I value a very short one, and his name is not on it.  He would have been wise to take the same attitude as I did in regard to my comments.

If it was truly about his daughter and making a deck meant for magicians and cardists, he might have considered my suggestions, or at the least agreed to disagree and leave it at that.  Unfortunately for him and his project, he chose the low road and it will possibly cost him some important backing.  If his deck gets made, congratulations to him - it still doesn't change the fact that this could have been so much more than mediocre, that it could have been truly outstanding, but that he was perfectly happy to settle.  It wouldn't be the first time this has happened and it won't be the last, on all counts.

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 04:41:24 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
In other semi horrifying news, the guy apparently has up to 7 more decks coming out. This deck really doesn't seem to have much to do with his daughter and more seems to be concentrated on money but maybe that's just me.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 06:14:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In other semi horrifying news, the guy apparently has up to 7 more decks coming out. This deck really doesn't seem to have much to do with his daughter and more seems to be concentrated on money but maybe that's just me.

Don't sweat it.  If as he says it depends on how this one goes, I wouldn't get my hope up if I were you.  And even if he does, hey, I know I'm not buying it - after that, the rest doesn't matter from my perspective.

Collectors are becoming more and more selective because of the waterfall of decks coming out of USPC these days - for a deck to really do well, it needs to stand head-and-shoulders above the rest to succeed in a manner that makes all the effort worthwhile.  Time will tell if this deck has the legs to do it, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm inclined to doubt it.  I've been wrong before - and in this case, for Adrian's sake, I hope I am - but it doesn't happen that often, and not usually about something this big.

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Very unfair to treat Don in an insulting way - if you can't stand the heat, stay away from the fire!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I wrote Adrian an email on KS. I invited him to come back, and post here. Everyone deserves a second chance. It's always hard to here criticism, and I think he took things the wrong way. Yea he was pretty rude with his comments, but if he comes back on, and is respectful. Then I'll be respectful as well.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Thank you Rob for taking your time, to read this and add your point of view of things, I really appreciate it, and I do wanna apologize for how a portrait things but I'm still upset for what Don wrote me, he might be an important consultant for playing cards and I respect that, but I believe everyone is able to do what there heart saids, and I love how my deck looks, I'm the kind of person who always takes a leap of faith and does what I feel is the best, maybe some people will not like it but that's why there's different points of view. Constructive Criticism is when someone tells you the good things and bad things to help you get better and in Don's comments I couldn't find something positive about my deck, I also didn't like that he's telling me the meaning of the Deer, at the end I'm the only one who knows what really means, it doesn't need to be what it is all the time, parts of this decks are meaningful and metaphorical, once again, every part of this deck has a meaning and what you see is what I wanted for you guys to see, the meaning of things are behind that, just because you guys don't see it that doesn't mean something negative.
Thank you Rob for taking your time once again, and I do wanna apologize with Don, because no mater what I don't think is a good way to say things to someone.

Adrian V.

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »

Afrank8

• True Member
If you don't like the way Don's interpreted the deer you could try explaining what it means to you and the relevance to your daughter, that would probably clear it up a bit.

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Welcome back, Adrian.

If you don't like the way Don's interpreted the deer you could try explaining what it means to you and the relevance to your daughter, that would probably clear it up a bit.

This would go a long way.

Adrian, you mentioned that this deck has a lot of meaning for you and that you're the only one who knows what it really means.  This makes you an excellent target audience for your deck, but for much of the rest of us, we'd need a little more to go on.

Sophia Rae Playing Cards Update
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

New update for Sophia Rae playing cards.
Go check them out guys! More detail and more stuff added.

Sophia Rae Playing Cards Luxury
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »

NOMAD DESIGN

Luxury cards updated

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Adrian... I merged your new post with the original post so that we can keep everything under one thread

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
We're nearly two weeks into this project, nearly the half-way mark.  It's hovering around 20% funded right now.  The majority of the funding arrived on day one.  In the last three days, it's lost more backing than it's made.  Kicktraq predicts a closing total that's a little short of 50% funded.

Adrian, imagine, if you would, how much higher that funding total would be if you'd taken the trouble to explain the significance of this deck to the general public, rather than simply saying that you're the only person who knows what it really means.  Without that, I don't think this design is compelling enough for most people.

Or you can keep your secret and watch your project wither away on the vine as your deadline, only 17 days away, approaches.  "Deer do not hide," indeed...