Super Mario Go Fish

Author (Read 3462 times)

Super Mario Go Fish
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
...and latest on the list of "Projects Most Likely to Be Squashed by USPC Legal," I give you Super Mario Go Fish!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53163752/super-mario-go-fish

The creator thinks that because some decks were made in the past without seeking Nintendo's permission, this should also sail under the radar just fine, or perhaps even get recognized by them and supported.  But the problem with that logic is that if he's printing with USPC as he claims he is, they insist you own the rights to the work or have a license for it - of which he has neither.

Another new deck from a new deck creator who has no clear idea of what he's actually setting out to do and how to do it...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:36:43 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Super Mario Go Fish
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I don't think 2500 kids would be willing to pay $15 for that.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Liked the idea when I saw the tuck and the back isn't to my liking but I could have looked passed it. The faces though put me off. I guess it's too much on the theme for me even though I'm a fan of Mario.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »

Bill Collins

• True Member

Ya, I just don't see that.  Maybe $2 at the dollar store.
Cordialement : The Other Look

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
This could have been done so much better.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:16:55 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
AND THE AWARD FOR MOST ORIGINAL BACK DESIGN GOES TO...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

That is a good ?
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 02:55:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Perhaps 2,500 hipsters who used to play Super Mario as children would.  I really doubt that children are the target audience here.

That is a good ?

No, Rob, it is not a good.  It is a sarcasm.  :))

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Perhaps 2,500 hipsters who used to play Super Mario as children would.  I really doubt that children are the target audience here.

And even then I doubt you'd find enough hipsters to successfully back this deck  ;D
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:25 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
This reminds me of the 8bit pixelated decks.

Only crap.

And I object to the use of colour. Last time I played Mario, it was on a grey gameboy original. Colour choice was light green or dark green. None of this colour business.
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Oh wow.
I just realized that there's an "Au" on the bottom. The atomic symbol for gold.

Incidentally, the company's called "8bitaurum".

Ugh.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:20:34 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I believe he expects to 'get away with the legal issues' by using non-descript characters from the game that are not the original characters copied and put on cards, but ones he's created in tribute.  There is nothing damming about using a gold box with a question mark inside because it does not infringe on any copyright image as it could not be copywritten by Nintendo.  Still, it borders on possible lawsuits that if nothing else would prevent the deck from being made due to the costs of having to prove that he has the rights to produce the deck. 

Here is what I posted in his comments:
Is there any risk of Nintendo shutting this project down for image infringements? I backed a superhero project that was shutdown and eventually cancelled even though it was the artists own work, but it represented familiar characters. I like the idea of this deck, but do you have pictures of the actual cards with their indices?
And his response:
The card game of Go Fish, or Fish, does not utilize the indices (card numbers) for gameplay. As a design choice for the intended game format, I left the indices off of these cards.

As far as the copyright question goes, it is pretty well covered in the "Risks and Challenges" Section of my Kickstarter Page. I will also be creating a more in-depth FAQ later today. The short answer though is yes, yes they can cancel my project at any time, but I have every indication from watching other Nintendo-themed Kickstarters and other fan-creations that this is only a slim chance.

These are not playing cards, these are cards for intended game play. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:05:19 AM by ManMadeGames »
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Oh wow.
I just realized that there's an "Au" on the bottom. The atomic symbol for gold.

Incidentally, the company's called "8bitaurum".

Ugh.

I will have to sue him for infringing my Aurum deck motifs.  ;D
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I believe he expects to 'get away with the legal issues' by using non-descript characters from the game that are not the original characters copied and put on cards, but ones he's created in tribute.  There is nothing damming about using a gold box with a question mark inside because it does not infringe on any copyright image as it could not be copywritten by Nintendo.  Still, it borders on possible lawsuits that if nothing else would prevent the deck from being made due to the costs of having to prove that he has the rights to produce the deck. 

Here is what I posted in his comments:
Is there any risk of Nintendo shutting this project down for image infringements? I backed a superhero project that was shutdown and eventually cancelled even though it was the artists own work, but it represented familiar characters. I like the idea of this deck, but do you have pictures of the actual cards with their indices?
And his response:
The card game of Go Fish, or Fish, does not utilize the indices (card numbers) for gameplay. As a design choice for the intended game format, I left the indices off of these cards.

As far as the copyright question goes, it is pretty well covered in the "Risks and Challenges" Section of my Kickstarter Page. I will also be creating a more in-depth FAQ later today. The short answer though is yes, yes they can cancel my project at any time, but I have every indication from watching other Nintendo-themed Kickstarters and other fan-creations that this is only a slim chance.

These are not playing cards, these are cards for intended game play.

Cute, that subtle non-difference...  :))

Simply put, if I name a deck Super Mario Whateverthehellgameyouwant, then take original images of existing characters from the Super Mario game done in the same, exact "8-bit" style in which they originally appeared in the game, I'm in copyright violation.  Companies pay to license these sort of things.  USPC will refuse his deck if Nintendo doesn't slap a cease-and-desist on him first, because he doesn't own the rights to the title or the characters.  Nintendo actually began operating as a PLAYING CARD COMPANY long before they were making the Famicom or Super Famicom (predecessors to the Nintendo Entertainment System {NES} and Super Nintendo Entertainment System {SNES} made for the Japanese market).

He's probably referring to the "Deck of Legend" deck, which had either its second or third printing with USPC, when he talks about how other projects have done what he's doing.  But there's a big difference - that deck's "homage" images of "Legend of Zelda" characters were a) not labeled and b) more unique despite the similarities, plus the deck itself didn't use a Nintendo copyright in the name.  Even the reproductions of the symbols like hearts, swords, rupees and tri-forces have more than enough prior art that Nintendo couldn't claim them in the first place.  That deck, as a result of conscious decisions by the artist, flew under the copyright radar.  It could practically be claimed as folk art.

I have no idea what his references to a lack of indices mean in terms of him having a legal leg to stand on.  Playing cards originated in 9th-century China, reached Europe in around the 14th or 15th century where they were changed to a prototype of what we use today - and have only had indices for less than 150 years.  And none of that has any relevance to his use of Nintendo's brand name and characters.

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Whatever the reason, this deck, I think, needs some serious redesigning or reconsideration before continuing to be launched. A deck that is similar to this in my mind is the 8-bit deck that was very successful on Kickstarter a little while ago. That deck was a homage to all retro gaming if I'm not mistaken. This deck is a direct reference to the fish found in the Mario games. Because it's so specific, it needs to be able to do the game justice or all fans will be upset and no one will like it.... Or at least that's my opinion. I definitely find myself disliking something that poorly resembles something I'm a fan of than thinking, "it was a nice try."

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't been suspended yet for the name alone.  Super Mario...
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
To be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't been suspended yet for the name alone.  Super Mario...

I'm sure Nintendo's lawyers are good, but they aren't omnipotent!

I recall it took very little time at all for the "Heroes of Steampunk" deck to get squashed by Lego's Legal Department...  The entire project page was yanked after the project had been shut down by Kickstarter.  Look as hard as you want, you'll never find it, even if you have the original URL.