You are Here:
Tally Ho Gold Trim VS Mr. Maeda?

Author (Read 1817 times)

Tally Ho Gold Trim VS Mr. Maeda?
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Hi guys, very random question here, but does anyone know if there is a way to distinguish a red Tally Ho deck w/ gold trim from a red "Mr. Maeda" Tally Ho deck without opening the boxes? From what I can tell, they appear to be identical... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- John

Re: Tally Ho Gold Trim VS Mr. Maeda?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
There are too many johns on this forum...

*I contacted a few different people who i know own both decks and will get back to you with replies.*
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi guys, very random question here, but does anyone know if there is a way to distinguish a red Tally Ho deck w/ gold trim from a red "Mr. Maeda" Tally Ho deck without opening the boxes? From what I can tell, they appear to be identical... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- John

I do own both the gold trim and Maeda gold trim decks.  The boxes are 100% identical right down to the bar codes - there's no way you can accurately tell them apart without opening the box.

People who own both (or stock both for sale) have to be extremely careful about keeping the inventories of those decks somehow distinguished from each other.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

- John

I do own both the gold trim and Maeda gold trim decks.  The boxes are 100% identical right down to the bar codes - there's no way you can accurately tell them apart without opening the box.

People who own both (or stock both for sale) have to be extremely careful about keeping the inventories of those decks somehow distinguished from each other.

Ugggh alright. Well thanks for the info!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Isn't one of them (Maeda) bridge sized? Or am I thinking of something else...
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

Something else, evidently. Haha :P

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah, you're thinking of something around the corner and ten blocks down the street from this...  :))  All the Tally decks in question are poker-sized.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:34:35 AM »

DelMagic

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I think Alex might be thinking of Mr. Maric, anothe magician from Japan that had some decks out. He had some bridge size decks.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I think Alex might be thinking of Mr. Maric, anothe magician from Japan that had some decks out. He had some bridge size decks.

Yep! That's the one.

If Maric is bridge-sized, then I believe THESE ones are the ones that come with a gaff/Maeda ad card (can't remember which one it was).

I actually have a deck somewhere but I can't be bothered to find it (it's in my "to sell" suitcase and not a part of my collection).
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:01 AM »

Xntrix

• True Member

• Facebook:
If Maric is bridge-sized, then I believe THESE ones are the ones that come with a gaff/Maeda ad card (can't remember which one it was).

The Mr Maeda's have weird Jokers of Tomohiro Maeda - they kinda look like Geppetto and Pinocchio. I bought a whole heap of the twin sets off Jamie a few years ago (which was stupid because I really only like the Blues) but I unfortunately also had a quite a few Gold Trim tallies. They inevitably became mixed, and there really is no way to distinguish between the two.

-Jake.
To enquire about Ellusionist sponsorship,  provide feedback or just have a chat - please email me at Jake {at} ellusionist.com

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The Mr Maeda's have weird Jokers of Tomohiro Maeda - they kinda look like Geppetto and Pinocchio. I bought a whole heap of the twin sets off Jamie a few years ago (which was stupid because I really only like the Blues) but I unfortunately also had a quite a few Gold Trim tallies. They inevitably became mixed, and there really is no way to distinguish between the two.

-Jake.

I know - I did the same with the few I have of both!

There's exactly one of those decks that would be distinguishable without opening the box.  The Maeda gold-border Tally Ho deck came in red, blue, and light blue.  The light blue one is easy to tell apart (duh), and it also fetches a notable premium over the other two.  I don't know if it's more or less rare than the others.