You are Here:
hey everyone im new here, from Tennessee

Author (Read 501 times)

hey everyone im new here, from Tennessee
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:33:05 PM »

BigTeddy297

• Newcomer
Hello I'm just starting to get into the card scene. I've been playing poker for a couple of years and now i want to start collecting cards i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to what to get first and what would be cool and flashy to bring to poker night?

Re: hey everyone im new here, from Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:08:27 AM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Welcome BigTeddy!

A good place to start your collection (and where I started mine!) is the USPCC/Bicycle website (bicyclecards.com).  You can order some pretty cool decks that you probably haven't seen in stores. I would also suggest joining their Club 808 - it's free and gives you access to even more exclusive decks! Take a look at Archangels, MetaLuxe, and the Aviator Heritage Edition - all cool and flashy!

If you are looking for something a bit more exclusive (ie. pricey!), take a look at the decks at Ellusionist (ellusionist.com). Many of these would be amazing to bring to your next poker game!

Hope that gets you started!
Be careful ... this hobby can get out of control quickly!

Kruser
"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

Re: hey everyone im new here, from Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Most people start their collections with the various "color change" decks - Bicycle Rider Backs in different colors of the rainbow.  If that's your thing, great - but most collectors I know just ignore them after a while.  In today's custom market, they're pretty tame by comparison to what's available.

Some will hit up the various magic/cards sites that make decks.  Among them are:
coterie1902.com
ellusionist.com
theory11.com
dananddave.com
thebluecrown.com
davidblaine.com
bigblindmedia.com (makers of the Karnival decks, among a few others)
penguinmagic.com (not many new designs yet - they're a relative newcomer)
gamblerswarehouse.com (they have a retail site but I forget the name off the top of my head)
collectableplayingcards.com

Some of the more magic-oriented websites will have many designs that are continually reprinted - in particular, Ellusionist, the Blue Crown and Theory11 - in addition to limited edition decks.  THESE are the best decks to get as a poker player - they're relatively inexpensive AND can be replaced relatively easily.  But if you want stuff that's a little more exotic, there's always the limited runs.  You can also find a LOT of new, unique and innovative designs at kickstarter.com - it's a crowdfunding website where artists raise funds directly to pay for printing their design ideas.  Be very selective when you're there - some artists use top-notch printing companies while others use budget, bargain-basement print shops that aren't worth the expense.

When in doubt, ask around here - someone's likely going to have the skinny on what's out there.

BTW: welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:48:41 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/