You are Here:
What on earth do you do with double backers?

Author (Read 3043 times)

What on earth do you do with double backers?
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:30:56 AM »

norsul

It seems like pretty much all of the new decks have a double backer included, and considering that when printing large numbers of cards printing an extra double backer will cost you quite a bit, I started to wonder that maybe they aren't putting it there just for the lolz.

So my question is, what is the use of double backers? Do you know any tricks that use a double backer (only the ones that only use one double backer and no other gaffs count)? Perhaps a double backer is needed for useful utility moves? Or are they putting it in there because the sheet of paper on which the cards are printed is just enough for 54 cards so that you pretty much have to put two (or more) extra cards or you would be paying for nothing? If yes, then why do they still do double backers? Might have come up with something more useful and creative in all these years.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:31:46 AM by norsul »

Re: What on earth do you do with double backers?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well, I honestly don't know of any GOOD tricks you can do with double backers, but I do know of a few. You can have the DB at the bottom, force the top card, cut the deck, show there's one card face down, perform a DL and there you have an adequate trick. Although, you can try to merge two cards into one, in one way or another. That would be and amazing trick, but I haven't figured out a method.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i only know double back has 1 effect .. put the double back on the top and keep a pinky break then take the selected card face up on top of the deck then do a double lift and then put the top card in the deck and then show some kind of magical thing and the selected card is at the top .. pretty lame though i hardly use it .. to me the double back i dun really use it

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
The only good effect I know using a double backer is this:  Place the double backer in your wallet before hand.  Take out a deck of cards and have a spectator select one.  Free choice.  You can then have the spectator sign there name on the card if you would like.  Totally up to you.  You then have them place the card in the pack and then execute your false shuffles and cuts ending with the selected card on top of the pack.  At this point I like to perform a simple move where I snap my fingers and say that there card has vanished.  I can then spread the cards face up showing them all the cards without revealing there selected card.  Essentially you end by taking your empty hand and reaching in to your pocket and take out your wallet.  You open your wallet up and show that there is a card inside (Double Backer).  You then take the double backer out, place it on top of the deck and perform your double lift.  Done deal!
- Adam

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
The only good effect I know using a double backer is this:  Place the double backer in your wallet before hand.  Take out a deck of cards and have a spectator select one.  Free choice.  You can then have the spectator sign there name on the card if you would like.  Totally up to you.  You then have them place the card in the pack and then execute your false shuffles and cuts ending with the selected card on top of the pack.  At this point I like to perform a simple move where I snap my fingers and say that there card has vanished.  I can then spread the cards face up showing them all the cards without revealing there selected card.  Essentially you end by taking your empty hand and reaching in to your pocket and take out your wallet.  You open your wallet up and show that there is a card inside (Double Backer).  You then take the double backer out, place it on top of the deck and perform your double lift.  Done deal!

Very nice card to wallet :)  I'll give this a try. Thanks for posting that.

Billy.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
A double backer is a card people throw into their deck then they can't think of a better gaff :P
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:45:47 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
i only know double back has 1 effect .. put the double back on the top and keep a pinky break then take the selected card face up on top of the deck then do a double lift and then put the top card in the deck and then show some kind of magical thing and the selected card is at the top .. pretty lame though i hardly use it .. to me the double back i dun really use it

To me, a DB isn't really used for that trick, although it could be used, I think he means he wants a trick where a DB can only be used. As to where in your trick, the DB can be replaced with any card in order for it to work out great. I honestly don't known how you can acutally use a DB, I don't really even know why they put it in there. Blank Cards on the other hand are a whole different story

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

Very nice card to wallet :)  I'll give this a try. Thanks for posting that.

Billy.
Hey, no problem.  Glad I could share that with you guys.  If you end up performing it, let me know how it worked out for you.
- Adam

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
quite a nice DB trick .. when you spread the card you do a block push off hiding the card right?

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Not quite hawjinjian.  After controlling there card to the top, I turn the deck over face up and snap my fingers telling them that there card has indeed vanished.  While I am telling them this I am going to use my thumb and riffle off the 2 bottom cards and get a pinky break (the bottom card is there's and the 2nd from the bottom is a random card)  Then as I spread the cards to show them it has vanished I keep those 2 cards squared together using my fingers underneath the spread as I get towards the bottom.  This way it looks like one card.  The random card is hiding there card underneath of it.  Hope this makes sense.  If not let me know.
- Adam

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:06 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
o i understand but the block push off work for hand to hand spread if you dun have a table for ribbon spread

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »

norsul

Hey guys, thanks for your replies! You really have some interesting ideas, looking forward to try some of them out. KPopFever605, you said that blank faced cards "are a whole different story", did you mean that they are useful? If yes, would you share some of your thoughts with us? The only use for blank faced cards that I know of is to make a reverse fan showing that all cards are apparently blank and then do a color change or something with the blank face to sort of "print" the cards.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:54:45 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Not only can you do a black fan spread, but blank faces are perfect cards to use for color changes. I wish they actually had include blank faced cards in decks rather than the traditional DB.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Not only can you do a black fan spread, but blank faces are perfect cards to use for color changes. I wish they actually had include blank faced cards in decks rather than the traditional DB.

Just make your own blank-face gaffs.  Or if you use Bicycles, you can buy them by the box.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »

norsul

blank faces are perfect cards to use for color changes

But don't spectators usually figure out that you had a special card? Isn't it more of a gag than a trick?

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen

Just make your own blank-face gaffs.  Or if you use Bicycles, you can buy them by the box.
how to make own blank face ?

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
how to make own blank face ?

There are countless videos about removing ink from the front of a card, as well as videos about splitting card faces from card backs, all for the creation of your own custom gaffs.  Check out YouTube.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
But you can't really make blank faced cards from a black deck, or a deck from another color becuase the extra ink will rub off too right?

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Any deck colored other than white has to be inked to be that color - they don't make black, blue, green, etc.-colored decks out of paper of the same color.  So yes, when you're removing the ink, you're removing the card's color in the case of colored cards.  But sometimes, that can be useful in itself.

An alternate method for making a card that's colored but "blank" would be to look over the videos that involve separating card fronts from backs, then cutting the faces with Exacto razor knives and reassembling the parts to make your custom gaff.  Take apart an Ace and a Deuce of whatever card you're trying to make a blank face card for and you should be able to come up with a suitable amount of blank area to piece a blank face together.

It would require patience and practice, and your first several attempts would probably not look good, but it's what old school magicians used to do before they could simply get something custom printed.  Many just wanted to keep their gaff secrets to themselves and didn't trust them to remain secret if they hired a printer to make them.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 02:22:42 AM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
I think a great way to use the double backer is like a variation of the Chicago opener - instead of the colour change though u have like a hersheys chocolate stuck onto the db - double lift the card to reveal the spectators card take spectators card off leaving DB on top with the side that doesnt have the chocolate and you're clean and then have a chocolate palmed and 'pull it off the spectators card' You can now fan through the deck and no card has the hershey's chocolate sticker on it. If you watch magicians such as cyril perform this trick they tend to steal away the bottom only showing the spectators card so u know they've double lifted but the next card can't be shown cause it'll be on a normal card

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 10:30:55 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I think a great way to use the double backer is like a variation of the Chicago opener - instead of the colour change though u have like a hersheys chocolate stuck onto the db - double lift the card to reveal the spectators card take spectators card off leaving DB on top with the side that doesnt have the chocolate and you're clean and then have a chocolate palmed and 'pull it off the spectators card' You can now fan through the deck and no card has the hershey's chocolate sticker on it. If you watch magicians such as cyril perform this trick they tend to steal away the bottom only showing the spectators card so u know they've double lifted but the next card can't be shown cause it'll be on a normal card
Ahhh, very nice Fallen Angel.  I actually perform this all the time and I totally forgot to mention it.  Very strong effect indeed.  Anyone interested in what this effect is can check out this performance http://youtu.be/Lc6z0SXRCaQ
- Adam

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
WOW! I really like that trick it looks very modern an contempt - thanks guys! - I can tell what is happening, but how do you palm the kiss and magically "pop it out"?

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »

Fallen_Angel_of_Luck

• Elite Member
Depends on how good u r at talking i like to say look at the kiss fan thru deck to show no others thn explain to spectator wat has happened at this time theyll keep an eagle eye on the deck n u simply palm the kiss wif ur other hand thn execute double lift give card face up drop kiss wif a pop