You are Here:
First Cardistry Deck

Author (Read 840 times)

First Cardistry Deck
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

CardNewb

• Newcomer
I  recently bought my first deck of cards,the Bicycle  Rider  Back,and I plan to use it to practice different flourishes,fans,spreads.My question is:How should I approach the situation?I am afraid that if I practice too much or too hard,they may get bent too soon,or they may remain slippery and would make it hard for me.So,any suggestions?

Re: First Cardistry Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If I recall, you're not from the US - and by that, I mean that Bicycle Rider Backs aren't as easily obtained as they would be for someone in the US, and not as cheaply.

Expect one thing when you're practicing cardistry: you will wear out, dirty up, warp, bend, tear and basically destroy your decks while you're practicing!  Someone who practices a lot can wear out a pack of Bicycle Rider Backs in a handful of days.  Paper cards were never meant to last forever, especially when they're being put to strenuous use.

I suggest you do one of two things:
1) Find a way to purchase Rider Backs in bulk, cheaply - they're less expensive when bought in larger amounts.
2) Find a deck from a manufacturer that's closer to your home which is of suitable quality and price for practicing with and stock up on those, saving the Rider Backs for special occasions/performing.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »

CardNewb

• Newcomer
Thank you Don for responding and understanding my current situation.It is true that at least here,in Romania,decks are not cheap at all,and on top of that,they are hard to find.Of course you could always buy third-grade playing cards from a local shop,but if you want known brands as Bicycle,Tally-Ho,and Bee you have to order them online.If you do order ,like I did with my Rider Back,you will be taxed an additional sum for the transport of the cards,and would have to wait a few days until they arrive.For me,an ,,aspiring'' magician,that sucks,of course.But I think I will have to order from time to time a Bicycle Seconds deck,and maybe buy a plastic deck from one of the stores,and improve that way.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:26:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank you Don for responding and understanding my current situation.It is true that at least here,in Romania,decks are not cheap at all,and on top of that,they are hard to find.Of course you could always buy third-grade playing cards from a local shop,but if you want known brands as Bicycle,Tally-Ho,and Bee you have to order them online.If you do order ,like I did with my Rider Back,you will be taxed an additional sum for the transport of the cards,and would have to wait a few days until they arrive.For me,an ,,aspiring'' magician,that sucks,of course.But I think I will have to order from time to time a Bicycle Seconds deck,and maybe buy a plastic deck from one of the stores,and improve that way.

Is the import tax as high when importing from within Europe?  There are some decent European manufacturers.  Germany, France, Belgium and Italy in particular have some high-quality decks made within their borders.  Not all of them are that good, mind you, but enough are and shouldn't be too hard to find.  Try starting with Heraclio Fournier in Spain - they're a subsidiary of the US Playing Card Company and make Lee Asher's signature Fournier 605 decks.  They're smooth and won't have the same glide, but they're practically indestructible - you can briefly dunk them in water one card at a time and wipe them down to wash dirt off of them!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/