You are Here:
LOST Playing Cards!

Author (Read 2466 times)

LOST Playing Cards!
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:02:56 AM »

52friends_and_me

Hey guys! My name is Josh and I am new to the forums. An instagram follower told me that I needed to check out this forum and get some feedback on the deck I have been designing! I plan on launching a Kickstarter hopefully in February.

Here is the LOST Deck! Any comments or suggestions?

Re: LOST Playing Cards!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 12:44:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys! My name is Josh and I am new to the forums. An instagram follower told me that I needed to check out this forum and get some feedback on the deck I have been designing! I plan on launching a Kickstarter hopefully in February.

Here is the LOST Deck! Any comments or suggestions?

When I saw "LOST" in the title, I thought of the TV show...

Mazes have been done on playing cards, and not that long ago, with some success.  But for me personally, it's not a strong enough gimmick to grab my interest and make me want the deck.  Maze fanatics might like them better than card collectors, though, and there's enough of them out there to make a project like this worth considering - though it will also depend on what you plan to do with the spot cards.

I'd say go one of two ways with this.  Set a low goal and aim for printing with MPC - people have produced decks with goals as low as $1,000 using MPC.  Then have a stretch goal in place that if you get enough backing, you'll change and have the deck made with USPC under the Bicycle brand.  There are still some diehard loyal fans of the brand who'll buy a deck solely because it's made under the Bicycle name - this can help give your sales a boost.

It's twice as much work in terms of working out the budgeting and logistics, but it practically guarantees that you'll get the project made one way or another.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »

52friends_and_me

Thank you so much for the advice. I like the idea of setting a small goal and a stretch goal! As for the spot cards, I just have them as standard spot cards.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:25:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you so much for the advice. I like the idea of setting a small goal and a stretch goal! As for the spot cards, I just have them as standard spot cards.

Mazes for the courts - but not for the spot cards?  My friend, in for a penny, in for a pound!  If you want to appeal to maze puzzle enthusiasts, you'll want as many mazes as you can fit in there.  Too few mazes, they lose interest, and it weakens the theme, which means card collectors will lose interest as well.  It's either that or find a better theme.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:07:22 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
I love mazes but I have to agree with Don this idea has been done and much better. Search for that deck and get some inspiration and yes add more mazes.
If at first you don't succeed try try again

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Mazes for the courts - but not for the spot cards?  My friend, in for a penny, in for a pound!  If you want to appeal to maze puzzle enthusiasts, you'll want as many mazes as you can fit in there.  Too few mazes, they lose interest, and it weakens the theme, which means card collectors will lose interest as well.  It's either that or find a better theme.

I like how you're using circular mazes for the courts, they remind me of those little plastic puzzles we used to take on car trips where bumps in the road added unpredictable challenges to solving :) Do you envision players solving the mazes (i.e. attacking cards with drawing implements)?

I do agree that there should be a maze on every card ... it would be fun to see mazes to work their way around the pips in the number cards, creating something exciting without interfering too much with the readability of the cards (not sure if I'm making sense) ... I also think that your Jokers deserve more attention... You definitely have a good idea and if you are passionate about it I'm sure you will end up with a really cool deck :)

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »

52friends_and_me

I have been playing around with the idea of adding mazes to the spot cards and I have come up with something that I really like. What does everyone else think? I spotted a flaw in the club suit and I will fix that tonight after work.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:44:31 AM by 52friends_and_me »

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »

JackofDiamonds

• Twitter:
I have been playing around with the idea of adding mazes to the spot cards and I have come up with something that I really like. What does everyone else think? I spotted a flaw in the club suit and I will fix that tonight after work.

That's pretty classy, but I bet you can do better. Work the a-mazing (haha... eh, I hate myself for that) pips into an actual, solvable maze. You might have the line blossom out into a pip with the maze going around it, or have the pip as a room in the maze, or make multiple paths through it.

It does seem a bit off to have pips with little tiny mazes and larger mazes on the court cards.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Mazes in the pips are too small, and with all the pips being identical, you solve one, you've solved the entire suit.  I'd make the mazes around the pips and make the pips as "voids."  You could even number the voids, indicating the order in which you're supposed to reach them in order to complete the maze correctly.  It takes more work, but it's a more worthwhile deck.