You are Here:
User Interface design. Anyone with experience.

Author (Read 3062 times)

User Interface design. Anyone with experience.
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
So, I'm in the process of developing a program.  It's a bartending assistant program that will run on a touchscreen computer.  I'm sort of at a loss for ideas as far as UI design goes.  Does anyone here have any experience with this?
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Re: User Interface design. Anyone with experience.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Any time I've seen that kind of thing i's been the standard visual basic buttons (POS software always seems to be VB for some reason).  I would just keep it simple; you want your user to find it functional and quick, not pretty.  Big black writing on grey background buttons do a better job for the situation, I think.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I've made a Winamp skin back when I was 15 I think, other than that I have a lot of experience creating UI-style design for websites, and have made my own Windows themes for years.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Any time I've seen that kind of thing i's been the standard visual basic buttons (POS software always seems to be VB for some reason).  I would just keep it simple; you want your user to find it functional and quick, not pretty.  Big black writing on grey background buttons do a better job for the situation, I think.

That's the problem I'm facing, or at least part A of it.  I hate ugly software.  No, I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I am a sucker for the shiny.  Not everyone likes the usability of the office 2007/2010 ribbon, but I really like the sleek look it has.  I wasn't hoping to do anything bouncing, sliding, or spinning, but gray command buttons make me sad on the inside.  I was thinking WPF for the UI, but VB buttons would do fine as well, I'm willing to skin the whole program with Illustrator and PS.  This was going to be a partially customer facing application.  Used by the bartender, but the monitor would be in clear view for the patrons to view.  Most of the drinks would be accompanied by images of them.

Part B of my problem is layout.  Anyone in here with UX experience have any tips on how to go about designing placement of the controls, and screen setup?  I've got about 9 different prototypes and 15 additional sketches.  Do you guys have some sort of 'tried and true' method for deciding how to layout a website or application.  I've been through use case diagrams, and activity flow sketches, nothing I produce seems natural or congruent for a user.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
With any touch screen interface you have to make sure that everything is big, and that no button is obscured by a single finger when touched (if possible).

You also want to keep in mind that you don't have the ability to see what is and is not clickable on a touch screen by hovering your mouse over it. If something is clickable, it has to be very obvious that it is.

Keep buttons separated far enough so that it is impossible to click one thing and have something else register. I don't know how accurate the touch screen is in this case, but most screens tend to be misleading in terms of targeting what you want to click.

You want things to flow left to right if this is something that is meant to be "partially" viewed by someone else. It will be easier for a customer to keep track of what is being touched. There is no need with a touch interface to incorporate toolbars are anything like that. All you need is a steady flow from left to right. What is the software exactly? Is it like a "build your own drink" thing?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
With an interface one of the MOST important aspects is FONT. Do not take it lightly. Take extra care to make sure the thing is pleasing to the eye and adds unity.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Sans-serif font. 'Nuff said.

When I see Times New Roman on my Android apps, I die a little inside.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 06:23:19 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Times New Roman is an evil font.  That said, the application has 3 main features "Search for drink by drink name", "Search for drink by ingredient", and "Search for drink by tag".

The ingredient one is the most interesting.  "Show me all the drinks that have vodka in them... ok, now show me all the drinks that have vodka AND triple sec in them"

From the list of search results, a user would be able to select one of them which would open what I've decided to call the 'drink power page'  It shows you the drink, all of the ingredients that go in the drink, the quantities, a picture, and a tags (fruity, non-alcoholic, stiff, cherry, lime, disgusting, bestseller, etc).  If a user wants to, from this screen, you can 'tag' the drink (this is very similar to how most blogs work, specifically wordpress).

So far I KNOW I'm going to need an on screen keyboard, but incorporating that into the screen as 'always' visible is proving to be a little difficult, I think it's going to be hidden and only show up when the search box has focus or something.  As far as the search results are concerned,  I started off with a list, but scrolling on a touch screen is not easy, especially on the hardware this is going on.  I want to pick up an HP Touchsmart for it, but they are outside my price range, so the enlight resistive touch screen will have to do for now.  This means the search results are going to be some sort of array of buttons, right now it's a 3x3 grid, but I'm open to change it.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Times New Roman is an evil font.  That said, the application has 3 main features "Search for drink by drink name", "Search for drink by ingredient", and "Search for drink by tag".

The ingredient one is the most interesting.  "Show me all the drinks that have vodka in them... ok, now show me all the drinks that have vodka AND triple sec in them"

From the list of search results, a user would be able to select one of them which would open what I've decided to call the 'drink power page'  It shows you the drink, all of the ingredients that go in the drink, the quantities, a picture, and a tags (fruity, non-alcoholic, stiff, cherry, lime, disgusting, bestseller, etc).  If a user wants to, from this screen, you can 'tag' the drink (this is very similar to how most blogs work, specifically wordpress).

So far I KNOW I'm going to need an on screen keyboard, but incorporating that into the screen as 'always' visible is proving to be a little difficult, I think it's going to be hidden and only show up when the search box has focus or something.  As far as the search results are concerned,  I started off with a list, but scrolling on a touch screen is not easy, especially on the hardware this is going on.  I want to pick up an HP Touchsmart for it, but they are outside my price range, so the enlight resistive touch screen will have to do for now.  This means the search results are going to be some sort of array of buttons, right now it's a 3x3 grid, but I'm open to change it.

Why must it have an on-screen keyboard?  A waterproof keyboard under the screen would work well and free up the interface, plus typing on a touchscreen isn't appealing to most people - I rarely see people writing important documents on an iPad or an iPhone.

An excellent alternative to using a keyboard at all would be a scrolling screen similar to, say, a song list on an iPhone.  It functions like a directory, with the alphabet on the side to jump to a letter, it works with swipes instead of keys, it accelerates based on how hard you swipe so long lists are manageable.  Easier to do that than to have someone poking keys, trusting on their spelling.  A few typos by the bartender and the customer will start to lose interest.

To do the "show me vodka drinks - now add triple sec" type of stuff, make it simple.  Push a button, it becomes a filter to your search; have a button for every alcohol and mixer in stock.  Then when you've checked what you want, swipe in a direction to get the search results.  Wanna change the search, just swipe back in the opposite direction.  Use the same scrolling concept for the directory of drinks.  In fact, asking by name and asking by content can be the SAME function - do a search with no filters selected and you have the entire directory.  That would simplify things a bit.

Tap on a drink name, see the drink in a photo or a drawn image with the list of ingredients on the side - plus how much it costs based on ingredients chosen.  Tap an ingredient to make a pop-up list for choosing a premium ingredient, such as Absolut instead of the well-brand vodka.  Tap a quantity of alcohol if the customer wants it lighter or heavier than the recipe calls for - first thing I learned when I went to bartending school is that the only right way to make a drink is the way the customer wants it (and is willing to pay for it), regardless of the actual recipe.

Swipe input might not be easy on the given hardware, but there's a reason why Apple was using it and everyone started imitating it.  See if you can figure a workaround.  Use page down/page up in a worst case scenario, but retain the directory-style alphabet jump list on the side.

I could probably come up with more ideas.  Are you working with the bartenders intended to use the interface?  Do the owners have specific needs they've specified?

Also bear in mind that if this is meant as a POS interface in addition to an assistant, you need to add a screen for fast, simple access to a quick ring-up screen.  Most bars don't go crazy with pricing for booze brands separately - they categorize them into three price points: well, call and top shelf.

Well booze is the cheap no-name stuff in the speed well that bartenders use.  Some bars do drop a call brand in there, but they tend to be more expensive bars.  Most mixed drinks are made from well booze because it's cheaper and the mixers will completely mask any premium flavors you're paying for so there's no point.  Call brands are the basic name brands, like Smirnoff, Bacardi, V.O., Seagram's, Jack Daniels, etc.  Top shelf are the premium ingredients - and most name-brand cordials fit here as well as single-malt Scotches, premium imports - anything that costs more than the basic call brands.  Then there's the beers: domestic, import and premium, with maybe a little differentiation if you have a larger selection of beers than the average bar.

You need, if this is a POS, a quickly-accessed screen for typing up a simple drink order.  In addition to the listing above sold by the shot with a simple mixer, there's juice drinks (cost a little more), two-booze drinks (like Godfathers, Rusty Nails, Black and White Russians, etc.) specialty drinks (anything with more than two or three ingredients) and the make-or-break drinks (mixed drinks that "make or break" a bartender's reputation because they're almost all booze, little to no mixer - a martini, Rob Roy, Manhattan, Old Fashioned and Gimlet).  More booze in those, so they cost more, but you don't charge the three-shot price for a drink like a martini that has three shots of booze total - which is why they're priced in a different category.

Got any questions, just ask...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
The main bartender using the app will be me, I've been bar tending for 11 years.  This is NOT intended to be a POS system, that's handled separately.  The hardware I currently have available to deploy this on is not very friendly with the swipe type of input, it's more of a point&click kind of touch screen, which is why I'd love to get an HP touchsmart (or equivalent) for this.  Page Up/Down are entirely workable, but I'm looking to run this on a database that holds 650 different ingredients.

One of the desired features is that if a drink was designed to be made with Absolut, then the ingredients on the screen will list Absolut, but to search by ingredient, you will just have "Vodka".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:39:10 PM by AceGambit »

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Do you have a data base of drinks and ingredients? Because you can incorporate an auto-complete feature. For example, if someone types in "W" they get a list of drinks that start with that letter. "Wh" and they are taken to Whiskey.

This allows you to create a keyboard with a lot less functionality.

Furthermore, I would divide the auto-complete feature so that the ingredient list is in its own category, and likewise for the drinks.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Do you have a data base of drinks and ingredients? Because you can incorporate an auto-complete feature. For example, if someone types in "W" they get a list of drinks that start with that letter. "Wh" and they are taken to Whiskey.

This allows you to create a keyboard with a lot less functionality.

If I elected to include a keyboard, it would likely be an on-screen keyboard (physical keyboards add a lot of hardware restrictions).  That said, if I elected to include a keyboard, then the auto-complete feature was something I had already planned on including.

Furthermore, I would divide the auto-complete feature so that the ingredient list is in its own category, and likewise for the drinks.

What do you mean by divide?  You mean separate search screens?  Or like a radio button next to the search field determining what type of criteria you are searching on?

later on I'll see if i can get some dirty screen shots up (i'm at work right now).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:50:57 PM by AceGambit »

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Is it possible to use a tablet computer of some kind?  The prices are coming down and the interface might be more useful.  iOS, Android, whatever?  If your app is successful for you, imagine how it would take off on iTunes or the Android Marketplace...

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Is it possible to use a tablet computer of some kind?  The prices are coming down and the interface might be more useful.  iOS, Android, whatever?

That's a great idea, and I think I might actually look more into this, my first concerns are A.) I have the entire back-end of the application already written in C# .NET - which I do not believe will port very well to Android or iOS. 
B.) this application relies on a large database and a directory full of drink images, the size of the Application, and the connection to a SQL instance might put me back a bit for mobile platforms.

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:46:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's a great idea, and I think I might actually look more into this, my first concerns are A.) I have the entire back-end of the application already written in C# .NET - which I do not believe will port very well to Android or iOS. 
B.) this application relies on a large database and a directory full of drink images, the size of the Application, and the connection to a SQL instance might put me back a bit for mobile platforms.

Is it possible to use existing database software for those platforms and fiddle with the interface?  I really think that a tablet OS would be a fantastic thing - a useful DB for you and a product you can sell at the same time.  You're planning to make it anyway, just make it well and people will buy it!

I'm thinking this isn't a "portable" app in the sense of smaller devices like iPhone, Android phone, etc.  You want the larger screen and the larger memory.  A typical tablet comes with at least 16 Gb of memory.  If you firmly believe that your DB will be too large to sit resident in memory, another option would be to have it pull the data over the Internet, since another common feature is Internet connectivity through either WiFi or 3G/4G cellular.  I doubt there's more than one in ten bars left that don't operate a WiFi network.  Manage the data well and the entries will be quickly searchable and downloadable.  Even better is the ability to make a single update to the primary database, such as the addition of a new liquor or a new recipe, and have every single user of the app receive the new information nearly as quickly as you upload it.

Interesting bonus: worried about wet fingers?  If you simply cover the screen with clear cling wrap, you're covered against anything short of a dunking and can still see the screen and provide touch input.  Replace the wrap when the shift's done and you don't even need to clean the device.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Android does support some iteration of SQLLite, so that's a very strong possibility.  I absolutely love the idea of the cling wrap, but i think that will make swipe motions a little difficult.  I'd rather not rely on the web to feed the program data, because that means either

A.)  I have to maintain a DB for every client using the product on some public-ish location.
B.)  Anyone using this product needs to maintain their own database (which is fine) on a separate machine from the tablet, some server or something (not fine).

So if I can fit the DB on the device, I would be infinitely happy.  I can't imagine it's going to be much more than like 2-3 GB.  Hmm, I'm really loving this idea.  The only downsides I see are that i don't already have the hardware to test this on, and that I need to redo the program in some other language, like Java.  While I know how to program in Java, the application currently relies heavily on Entity Framework as an ORM. (I'm not sure how software savy you are and if that made any sense at all.   An ORM is a software package or bundle of libraries that allows Database object to be used in code - simply put.)

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:25:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The cling wrap should be fine - if the "swiper" has wet fingers, which most bartenders do a lot of the time.  (Or maybe you need a little Magic Finish...)  Alternately, there are waterproof casings for tablet computers on the market, just like they have for smartphones.  If the water wasn't too hot, you could practically wash it off with the glasses in the bar sinks.

There's no need to maintain multiple DBs, one for each client.  Just ONE large DB for all the clients.  They can use the settings to select which booze they carry, which drinks they make, etc.  One-time set-up, with tweaks and updates as the selection changes.  You only need one big DB to cover all the booze all your clients use.  Assuming you did this as a web-based DB using the app simply for search and retrieve of records, of course.

But if you want the DB to "live" on the device and it would be as small as you predict, then by all means, go for it.  The only thing I could imagine being memory-consuming would be images of the completed beverages.  You'd need either photos or decent quality renderings of some kind, either of which will be perhaps the most time-consuming part of the project.

Don't forget that you'd need to set up some function for updating the DB on all the devices as well, be it as a software update or as some kind of DB update feature in the app itself.  I've seen both methods used.  There's always some new beer or new booze hitting the market.  You'd also need to have a feature for users to changes settings for which booze, beers, etc. are premium, top-shelf, etc.  Most bars use Bacardi white or Smirnoff as a call brand, while I've seen a few higher-class joints put it in the speed rack for well drinks.  But again, that assumes you were using some kind of pricing function - not really a necessity here, though it would help the bartender to know what to charge for whatever concoction the customer dreams up.

Whatever decisions you make, getting this app onto a tablet would be a beautiful thing.  You make it well enough for your needs, it's probably good enough to sell - some extra cash rolling in never hurts.

BTW: have you looked at what apps already exist?  Is it possible that someone out there beat you to the punch and created the perfect app for your needs?  It means you wouldn't make as much off your app, but it also means you app may not even be necessary; that you'd love that other app so much because it does everything you want perfectly.

On a side note, a few recipes I used to love when I bartended and drank:
El Presidente: a rum martini with a "spit" each of triple sec, dry vermouth and grenadine, garnish with lemon twist.
My own recipe for a light, flavorful drink, a Poolside: a shot of Malibu and a half-shot of amaretto in a tall glass of OJ, orange slice garnish optional.  It's a bit on the sweet side, but a girl could drink five or six over the course of a night without getting barely more than a buzz.  To reduce the sweetness, you could cut it with club soda to taste - a Poolside Jacuzzi.  Leave out the juice and swap for club soda for a plain Jacuzzi.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
El Presidente: a rum martini with a "spit" each of triple sec, dry vermouth and grenadine, garnish with lemon twist.

GRRrrr, If it doesn't have gin, it's not a real martini, it's just a cocktail.  Sorry, I'm super opinionated on that one.

BTW: have you looked at what apps already exist?  Is it possible that someone out there beat you to the punch and created the perfect app for your needs?  It means you wouldn't make as much off your app, but it also means you app may not even be necessary; that you'd love that other app so much because it does everything you want perfectly.

I had looked around at websites and desktop apps that are designed around this idea and didn't find anything that really suited what I was looking for.  I hadn't considered building the app for a tablet until you mentioned it, I should take a look through the Apple and Android market, see what there is.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

GRRrrr, If it doesn't have gin, it's not a real martini, it's just a cocktail.  Sorry, I'm super opinionated on that one.

I had looked around at websites and desktop apps that are designed around this idea and didn't find anything that really suited what I was looking for.  I hadn't considered building the app for a tablet until you mentioned it, I should take a look through the Apple and Android market, see what there is.

I used the "rum martini" description just to simplify the drink's construction.  No, it is not a martini, but it's made very much like one.

There's definitely a market for well-made apps - and one really good app at the right price can make a person very well off.  Granted, there's a hundred times as many wanna-bes as there are big hits, but a well-made useful app is a well-made useful app.  Build it well and they will come.  Plus Apple's "vig" isn't all that high.  Consider Android later - while the Android hardware market is growing, Apple owns more of the app market than all other competitors combined (maybe even twice as much of it).  At one time not long ago they held a whopping 99% of all app downloads.  Android phones are taking off faster than their tablets are, anyway, and you want the bigger screen from the sounds of it.