The Ritual - Design Revision

Author (Read 2142 times)

The Ritual - Design Revision
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »

52Ravens

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Hi everyone

Just wanted to get some opinions on the redesign of my deck ‘The Ritual’. After the initial Kickstarter project fell over for obvious reasons, I want to make sure the design is as good as it can be.

I think the biggest issue was pricing. It was way off! But as I’m in the UK, delivery, import tax and value added tax was mounting up the production cost, leaving me with not a lot of room to play with. BUT, with card projects become more popular on Kickstarter, distribution companies based in the US are a great way round this for creators like me. This should make a single deck delivered to the US around the $12 mark.

I’ve taken on board a lot of the comments I received and have changed a fair amount without loosing too much of the original look and feel. (I hope)

The court cards are a all female cast, with the Jacks and Kings wearing masks and I've tried to keep it traditional with the one eye jacks and suicide kings.

I've been working away and I'm now at the point that the court cards have reached "Version 1". I'm kind of looking for mistakes or ideas for tightening these up. I think JoD needs a total redo, with them all side by side like this I think this one stands out too much. And I think the JoS, JoC, QoD and QoH need some tidying up, the details seem a little small compared to the others. But apart for that, let me know what your eagle eyes spot!

I appreciate all your feedback and honest opinions

Many thanks

Kirk

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:52:08 PM by 52Ravens »

Re: The Ritual - Design Revision
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi everyone

Just wanted to get some opinions on the redesign of my deck ‘The Ritual’. After the initial Kickstarter project fell over for obvious reasons, I want to make sure the design is as good as it can be.

I think the biggest issue was pricing. It was way off! But as I’m in the UK, delivery, import tax and value added tax was mounting up the production cost, leaving me with not a lot of room to play with. BUT, with card projects become more popular on Kickstarter, distribution companies based in the US are a great way round this for creators like me. This should make a single deck delivered to the US around the $12 mark.

I’ve taken on board a lot of the comments I received and have changed a fair amount without loosing too much of the original look and feel. (I hope)

The court cards are a all female cast, with the Jacks and Kings wearing masks and I've tried to keep it traditional with the one eye jacks and suicide kings.

I've been working away and I'm now at the point that the court cards have reached "Version 1". I'm kind of looking for mistakes or ideas for tightening these up. I think JoD needs a total redo, with them all side by side like this I think this one stands out too much. And I think the JoS, JoC, QoD and QoH need some tidying up, the details seem a little small compared to the others. But apart for that, let me know what your eagle eyes spot!

I appreciate all your feedback and honest opinions

Many thanks

Kirk

Hello, Kirk.

A few of my opinions on this design.

Overall, I do like it.

I suggest ditching the "dirty card" look.  It's been overdone so many times now.  Better would be to go for a clean ivory look, or perhaps a linen-esque appearance.  Too many decks of cards look like they spent months or years in the bottom of a mine shaft.  I wouldn't even go for a parchment look at this point.  Ever see antique laid paper?  THAT would suit this look to a tee.  Southworth still makes antique laid paper and sells it through Staples.  It gives you a way to achieve a century-old look without having to resort to mold spots.

The suit pips - it's tempting to make them look unique by doing that "split" look, but in reality, they're not as unique as you might think.  A few decks have used this, most notably the Sultan Republic, both original and Treasury Edition.  Either make them plain or really customize them in some way.  This split look is more like a half-measure.

I like the faded look to the ink.  Courts done completely in the suit color are also pretty cool.  Gives me the feel of reading a Victorian-era book on arcane knowledge of the universe.  I recommend that you change the background on the spot cards, though - it's the same background pattern repeated over and over.  Have you considering creating new backgrounds for each card?  Make it look like something sketched and scribbled into an alchemy tome or a book on wizards, witchcraft and spells?  It would really spice up the look in the right direction.

If you're going to conform with court designs of the International Standard, you left out the "bedpost Queen" - the Queen of Spades should be holding a scepter as well as a flower.  And I seem to recall there was one Queen that went flowerless.  It's the kind of things neighborhood poker players look for because of all the wacky poker games they play and bizarre choices of wild cards.  Go bust out a pack of Bicycles and make sure you're not missing more.

The Queens - why are they all posing with eyes closed?  I imagine they'd look lovely with them open...

The Jacks and Kings...  Most of the King masks are nice, but any mask that looks like a cross between a plague doctor's mask and a bird's beak just doesn't look right and detracts from the beauty of the character.  The masks can have nicely ornate patterns without having to look silly.  Think of a masquerade - plague doctors weren't commonly found at masquerades.  In fact, most didn't live long enough to tell the tale!  I understand there's a bit of a bird theme, but that's what the ravens are for!

Must every court card be hooded?  You have beautiful-looking women that are nearly enshrouded.  Remember this one thing that been true of advertising before advertising was even invented - sex sells!  I'm not saying make them into swimsuit models, but allow the player to see the faces more, see the hair caught on a breeze - it will give the characters a more dynamic look.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:48:20 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Hi,
Well Done on amazing looking deck, straight away it reminds me most recently of the Heretic deck, this can't be good to hear but the similarities are undeniable. I do however love everything about it, the custom pips, the court cards and the level of detail is beautiful, the only thing I suggest is the back of the card, it looks muted and not as epic as the rest of the deck, perhaps you can incorporate some red and go bolder.
I would definently back this.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:09:23 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Hi,
Well Done on amazing looking deck, straight away it reminds me most recently of the Heretic deck, this can't be good to hear but the similarities are undeniable. I do however love everything about it, the custom pips, the court cards and the level of detail is beautiful, the only thing I suggest is the back of the card, it looks muted and not as epic as the rest of the deck, perhaps you can incorporate some red and go bolder.
I would definently back this.
I concur. The card back leaves a lot to be desired.  Some color contrast would be eye-catching.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Galen Ihlenfeldt

• Newcomer
I guess I'm on the other side of the fence with the card back design.  It's my favorite part of this deck. 

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »

52Ravens

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks for all your feedback.

I'm taking all the ideas on board and will post the changes soon

:)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Everyone already covered most of the design aspects that need to be changed. The dirty look, the pips, and the back.

I do like the idea of an all-female set of court cards, but they all look so similar. The queen of clubs and the queen of spades look like the same person, just tilting their head. And while the raven is cool, it might be interesting to see some other animals.

A name change might also be good. There's already a Ritual deck.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elitecards/ritual-playing-cards-deck-by-elite-playing-cards

You're off to a great start, though! Keep at it!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
A great concept and idea Kirk, shows a lot of promise. The main "Issues" have already been addressed so I won't repeat them..........but I couldn't agree more with ditching the dirty look before anything else. Can't wait to see more as you work thorugh this project.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »

spindles

Kirk,

I missed this on Kickstarter, but am really excited about this deck. All-female very cool! The face cards almost seem like they each represent different sides of the same sorceress:

Jack = mysterious
Queen = one with nature
King = dangerous, almost like an assassin not be me messed with

I do like all the elements on the back, but it might be a little much all together. What if you had birds swarming together to take the shape of a woman?

I'm sure whatever you choose will be awesome!

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »

52Ravens

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks for all the feedback

Below is the amended designs, I think they are almost there, just looking for any errors ;)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for all the feedback

Below is the amended designs, I think they are almost there, just looking for any errors ;)

Well, aside from the fact that you ignored pretty much every bit of advice I gave...  :))

(No big deal.  If you disagree strongly enough and have a reason for the way it looks, stick to your guns.)

Check the height of the pips in the indices.  I think that either the diamond is a little short or the heart is a little long.  Maybe it's me, maybe it's an optical illusion, but they don't all appear the same height.

I would also suggest widening the index font just a wee bit for easier visibility.  In a standard deck, they're the same width as the index pip, but your deck isn't standard - don't lose the look of tall, narrow letters and numbers entirely.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/