http://www.ellusionist.com/executive-deck-playing-cards.html

"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

Re: Executive Deck from E
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
I actually quite like that back! Plus even though those photos don't show a great amount I do like the faces and the overall style.
E is obviously hyping the deck up "A set of playing cards two years in creation.... comes to life" but I like the look of these
Thanks for the post
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
is this deck going to be released to non black club members? I saw that at least right now its black club only and I really want a few. I like them.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Hot damn. I really like these.

I find it awesome that E can consistently put out awesome decks, despite having released so many.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
This deck will not be a part of BC, but anyway I will pas this time. I will wait for Rounders and also for Red Rounders.

I take decks for their design, but I think this deck is not for me. It looks different that other decks from E, court cards are pretty nice, a nice touch from E, but...no. Sorry.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
absolutely love it. first deck in awhile that ive been excited about.
have you heard the word???

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
holy shit

This deck was first confirmed over two years ago... I remember Robert and I talking about it. Last I heard they were delayed indefinitely.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
holy shit

This deck was first confirmed over two years ago... I remember Robert and I talking about it. Last I heard they were delayed indefinitely.

lol i didn't know that at all!

EDIT: didn't mean to post so early!

why they hell would they release the rounders decks that had a back only the NOC decks were envious of over these?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:56:10 PM by Gunshy1 »
have you heard the word???

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
is this deck going to be released to non black club members? I saw that at least right now its black club only and I really want a few. I like them.

Don't assume it's always Black Club only.  This was a posted in an email to Black Club members a little after 4pm Eastern/22:00 UTC yesterday and it's the usual 24-hour head start, so it will be on sale around 4pm ET/22:00 UTC today.

There's also the beginning of a series of cardistry videos and "the return of Justin Miller" with two new effects.  Someone should go talk about that in the Magical Cardistry Bonanza...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
They seem to release everything Black club only for a little bit then to the public, we shall hopefully get this soon!
I just hope JP stocks it
-Benny
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:43:29 AM by blastercast »
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »

Joe Hadsall

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Don't assume it's always Black Club only.  This was a posted in an email to Black Club members a little after 4pm Eastern/22:00 UTC yesterday and it's the usual 24-hour head start, so it will be on sale around 4pm ET/22:00 UTC today.

Don touches on a good point. Most of the decks we produce will be available to everyone, because -- well, we like selling decks. :) If something is going to be a Black Club exclusive, it will usually be presented as such from the get-go, so if you don't see that message, don't worry -- you'll get a stab at it. Remember that we have released only one Black Club-exclusive deck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:24:05 AM by Joe Hadsall »
Joe Hadsall
Content Developer, Ellusionist.com
blog.ellusionist.com ~ www.facebook.com/ellusionist ~ www.twitter.com/ellusionist
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I had just clicked the link and it said you must be a black club member to buy. That is why I had asked.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »

Loop Cuts

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
holy shit

Yeah I remember these very clearly.  I figured after various E leaks that they renamed them LTDs some months later.  Sure enough, here they are ready off the press.  But if that is the case, then there are some other decks me and you know about Alex that are still in the works ;)

JOYS   ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Don touches on a good point. Most of the decks we produce will be available to everyone, because -- well, we like selling decks. :) If something is going to be a Black Club exclusive, it will usually be presented as such from the get-go, so if you don't see that message, don't worry -- you'll get a stab at it. Remember that we have released only one Black Club-exclusive deck.

Joe Hadsall
Content Developer, Ellusionist.com.

I promise I'll update my signature stuff soon.

Hey, Joe - welcome to the Discourse!  Please feel free to post any time you like, and not just on the Ellusionist decks!  We always appreciate hearing from the people at the companies that make the decks we love!  :))

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 02:45:13 AM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
I seem to be able to add these to my basket and take them to checkout therefore I presume released
-Benny
Derren Brown

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 03:22:34 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
holy shit

Yeah I remember these very clearly.  I figured after various E leaks that they renamed them LTDs some months later.  Sure enough, here they are ready off the press.  But if that is the case, then there are some other decks me and you know about Alex that are still in the works ;)

JOYS   ;D

As if I remember them all. I have a list somewhere in my email inbox haha
Forum Founder.

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I seem to be able to add these to my basket and take them to checkout therefore I presume released
-Benny

They were released about 4pm Eastern (20:00 UTC) yesterday, so that doesn't surprise me.  Why were you surprised?  I even posted that same information earlier in this post, over a day ago.

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
holy shit

Yep, I've heard something about these projects. Also, I hope Red Rounders to came in the next two weeks to complete my little collection (I have all decks from E without 1800 decks)

There's also the beginning of a series of cardistry videos and "the return of Justin Miller" with two new effects.  Someone should go talk about that in the Magical Cardistry Bonanza...  :))

I hope they throw more downloadable videos in BC downloadable area, like the last video from J.Miller and D.Madison. At least, I hope to do that. The last four that they put for free for BC members, I paid for them with a few day before that :( One deck, old videos...not so good :) BC members don't buy so often BC products, because those are a little expensive.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

BC members don't buy so often BC products, because those are a little expensive.

Speak for yourself.  There were some nice products at the beginning that vanished out of stock almost as quickly as they arrived.  I own a few of the cooler items myself, and I know I'm not the only one.

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Don, perhaps, I didn't make me clear :) Are you buying that products often? Do you have three black club rings or maybe seven iphone cases?! I don't think so. There are 13 products without a the BC member ship. I have 5 different products from BC store. What I wanted to say is that in BC are not so many...and only one deck.
Anyway, I thought you'll defense my self in this case...

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 05:13:07 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
They seem to release everything Black club only for a little bit then to the public, we shall hopefully get this soon!
I just hope JP stocks it
-Benny

HI Benny! - Probably... :) No news just yet.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, perhaps, I didn't make me clear :) Are you buying that products often? Do you have three black club rings or maybe seven iphone cases?! I don't think so. There are 13 products without a the BC member ship. I have 5 different products from BC store. What I wanted to say is that in BC are not so many...and only one deck.
Anyway, I thought you'll defense my self in this case...

Given time, I imagine that E will refresh the product line a bit.  If not, people will grow bored and opt out of renewing.  But it makes little sense for them to make too many products exclusive to the club - not everyone can afford the membership fee.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I love the approach and the concept, not to mention the deep contrast in colors. To me, they stand out more than other black and white decks. The court cards aren't plagued with distracting colors. Their just nice and simple. However, although the deck looks outstanding, it looks a little too dark for my taste.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So, I gave the card images a closer look.  And the hyperbole in the ad copy: Executive is not the next move in playing cards. It's full Checkmate.  Practically puts T11 to shame!  :))

As I see these, they're a nod to collectors, perhaps also to flourishers.  They used a black border on the back, a white "border" on the front, which some magicians can't use for some tricks - no need to rehash the Artifice bordered-vs.-borderless debate, please.  They retained the "suicide King" but appear to have discarded most if not all of the other traditional elements used by some poker players to identify courts - none of the Jacks appeared one-eyed.  So that alienates some poker players.  The black edges on the back will be prone to the same chipping we all saw when the black deck was "the new black."

I'm also not seeing any solid connection between the concept of "executive" and this design.  If anything, there's a greater resemblance of the courts to chess pieces than anything "executive" - and the joker has an image of a Staunton-style knight on it.  They could have called it "X" - the notation for a capture on a chess score sheet - and it would have been a more apt theme.

Custom pips - nice, but I'm starting to grow tired of everyone trying to reinvent the pip with each deck they make lately.

It's a decent deck, and I'll probably get it eventually - it's just a matter of when.  I'm simply not in a rush for it.