You are Here:
card palming

Author (Read 5901 times)

card palming
« on: October 29, 2011, 01:38:47 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
anyone out there good at this? i have recently started working on it and might get IAOCP when i get up the dough. i tend to palm 3 cards when i try. :(
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

Re: card palming
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:50:34 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
If you are just starting palming, IAOCP is not a good choice.
It doesn't include basics, it's better for advance palmer.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
ok do you know where i should go for the basics?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:04 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm not a palmer also. My hands are too small, and impossible to cover cards.
But I read many places, they suggest "Expert at the card table" for palming.

And now you can get it free here.
The blue crown is having some contests, and giving the ebook away.
http://www.thebluecrown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=643

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:08:05 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
ok so 2 things one thank you i will check it out, and 2 saying you have small hands is an excuse not to palm my hands are small and fat. I have talked with different magicians and we sometimes discussed palming, they learned it on impulse with bigger hands and suggested that i still tried. also the only magicians i know dont ever buy tricks just learn from others so i hoping to learn some things they don't. :) card palming with small hands would be nice. btw i did see a youtube vid on palming once and i can put a card in my hand and squeeze a bit to keep it there so i some what have some basics?

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:21:20 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well, my hands are not just small hands.
But it's a girl's hands, and since I'm Asian, the size of my hands would be a kid's size comparing to you guys :)

But I don't mind about my hands, I'm doing magic without palming. I can only cuff cards off to hide it, that's enough for me.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:27:18 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Well, my hands are not just small hands.
But it's a girl's hands, and since I'm Asian, the size of my hands would be a kid's size comparing to you guys :)

But I don't mind about my hands, I'm doing magic without palming. I can only cuff cards off to hide it, that's enough for me.

i still feel its an excuse but try bridge cards, or mini decks.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:11:20 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
No, I prefer poker size. And it's not an excuse. I just don't like palming, it's not my style.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Palming ain't easy.

Errr... anyway, when you palm a card, you bend it and if your hands are smaller, you bend it more, basically.  \SO even if your hands are a bit small, you should be able to do it just fine.  Top palming is easy but it's unlikely to fool anyone (at least the way I do it), start there.  Slide the top card of the pack by pushing it away from you with your right hand, using the middle knuckles of your fingers to create the friction.  When it's about half way off the pack, press down on the tip of the card and bend your fingers inward to grip the card.  Then you have palmed it, well done.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 06:21:48 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The fact is I can hold card in the palm without any problem, what I can't is making the card invisible.
My 4 fingers' weight is still can't cover the card.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I need bigger hands! When I attempt to palm, I can always see the card

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
its not about if YOU can see the card, but the other people. misdirection is key if you don't have monster hands. I said this in another thread, but in jason englands foundation video on theory 11 he goes over many different palming techniques
have you heard the word???

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Yup, palming is totally about misdirection and angles. If the audience has no reason to suspect something then they will not look for it. I mean, you can do a tenkai palm which has pretty horrible angles but is extremely easy to do and looks really good, just as long as you can perform in such a way that is looks natural to have your hand turned away from the audience.

I am not great at palming but in a video I posted in the "Show Off" thread, that last part has a video of a palm I do.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 10:09:56 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
ok do you know where i should go for the basics?

Try..The Royal Road To Card Magic, there is a section in the book on card palming.

Billy.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 02:10:35 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
The only card trick I do in my older Childrens Magic Show involves palming and I learnt my technique for it from "The Royal Road to Card Magic" So I have to agree with Billy :)

and no I'm not one of those complex magic in Children's show performances, I use palming a "complex" technique in order to achieve a fun result :D
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »

Bulldozah

I use palming for a few tricks, and I've found that borderless decks are much easier to palm. I've also found that red Bee playing cards are harder to see if you are still flash the corners. This is especially helpful in back palming, and you nearly always flash a little corner between your fingers, but when I use my Bees and move my hand a little, it makes them nearly invisible.

I mainly use the palming for a card-to-pocket trick, and most of the time, the spectator's attention is focused elsewhere. I admit, palming took me a lot longer than other people because of my small hands, but it is by no means impossible.  :)

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Carney on palming is a GREAT source ... John doesn't only teach you the techniques but also the psychology behind palming.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 04:36:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm not a palmer also. My hands are too small, and impossible to cover cards.
But I read many places, they suggest "Expert at the card table" for palming.

And now you can get it free here.
The blue crown is having some contests, and giving the ebook away.
http://www.thebluecrown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=643

Their version is this:
http://geniimagazine.com/downloads/erdnase/Expert%20at%20the%20Card%20Table%20pdf.pdf
An HTML format PDF file.  I don't think it'd be good for working with, though as a freebie it's fine for trying to compete in the contest.  The artwork's a bit on the blurry side, too.

I recommend two versions.  If you have the right hardware, you can get the Erdnaseum edition as an e-book from Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com for only $2.99, suitable for use on either of their e-readers as well as many smartphones and tablets with their respective free e-reader apps.  This was a faithful reproduction of the original text and drawings, with errors included - they give a list of those few errors and the necessary corrections in the new prologue.

If you want a real hard copy, I strongly recommend the "Indestructible Erdnase" version.  It's the CARC-made pocket-sized mini-bible printed on plastic pages that feel a lot like paper.  This makes it tear-resistant and water-proof, so it would likely be the first and last copy you'd ever buy, the one book you can take (and will take) damn near anywhere.  Furthermore, it retains the line-numbering system used on the regular "bible" editions, allowing you to easily reference any specific phrase in the book with precision.  It runs around $20 or so and I've seen it at CARC and D&D.  I got mine at Fantasma Magic's retail shop near Herald Square in New York.  It's a limited edition so get 'em while they're hot.

I started reading "The Royal Road to Card Magic" and this book at the same time.  I've just about stopped reading Royal because I found the much-older Erdnase to be easier to understand - Hugard uses a rather florid writing style which makes him sound pompous and boring, while the twice-as-old Erdnase was just more cut-and-dried and even entertaining.  Don't skip the first half of the book on gambling cheat methods - a lot of what's there applies just as easily to magic.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 04:37:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I need bigger hands! When I attempt to palm, I can always see the card

Why not try bridge-sized decks?  Many women magicians use them since their hands are smaller.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I use palming for a few tricks, and I've found that borderless decks are much easier to palm. I've also found that red Bee playing cards are harder to see if you are still flash the corners. This is especially helpful in back palming, and you nearly always flash a little corner between your fingers, but when I use my Bees and move my hand a little, it makes them nearly invisible.

I mainly use the palming for a card-to-pocket trick, and most of the time, the spectator's attention is focused elsewhere. I admit, palming took me a lot longer than other people because of my small hands, but it is by no means impossible.  :)

To my eyes, Bee Diamond Backs in either color look like an optical illusion when you fan or spread them!  I can see where they may be easier to use for concealing a card in your palm.  I think it has more to do with the simple, repeating pattern printed full bleed than simply being borderless.  There are some borderless backs that have such a busy design that it's tougher to get away with.

Consider some black cards as well.  Works great when palming in a darkened room like a bar or a nightclub!  Simpler and more repetitive the back pattern, the better off you'd be, I think.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 05:12:31 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Why not try bridge-sized decks?  Many women magicians use them since their hands are smaller.

It's because the bridge size is harder to find, and more expensive.
Besides, there is no great deck eg, SM, wynns. in bridge size.

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 06:28:32 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The Fox Lake/ Aviator bridge size are actually pretty nice and not too expensive; just a little more than standard bikes.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
She already said palming is not her style ... you don't need palming to be a good magician. Plus, if I was her I wouldn't want to use bridge size decks anyways

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
She already said palming is not her style ... you don't need palming to be a good magician. Plus, if I was her I wouldn't want to use bridge size decks anyways

Haha, yes thank you.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »

CDXX

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Haha, yes thank you.

haha no worries, I was getting kind of annoyed  >:(

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
i might try to use some bridge cards but im working on palming poker cards, i have a magic teacher now. :)